Games Workshop FAQ: FAQ - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Games Workshop FAQ: FAQ

After downloading the 40K FAQs and glancing through a couple, i couldn't not make this thread!

At first i was thinking ''What kind of idiots do they let play this game in order to come up with these questions in the first place?''
    Then i read some of the answers
    Seriously! What kind of idiots do they have answering these things!? Haha!

A few examples for your amusement. At least, i was amused (my comments are in blue)

Questions by idiots:

Dark Eldar:
    Q. Is the Grotesque’s Feel No Pain rule the same as the Feel No Pain universal special rule?
    Q. Is the Talos a monstrous creature or a skimmer?
    Both very clear from the Codex alone...

Necrons:
    Q. Can a resurrection orb be used if a unit iswiped out and there are no models of a like type within 6"?
    Clearly the people asking these questions haven't read the Codex yet...

Answers by idiots:

Dark Eldar:
    Q. What do gruesome talismans do?
    A. They no longer any effect in this edition of the game. All your base are belong to us??

Bit of Both:

Necrons:
    Q. If a unit of Necrons falls back after taking casualties, how best to keep track of whether they are effected by a resurrection orb or not? Duh... whats that thing you use to measure distances... duh...
    A. A Necron unit falls back, having been beaten in close combat by a unit with power weapons. However, there is a resurrection orb nearby. Seriously!? Given the Q, id freakin hope so! To keep things simple (... use a ruler? ), when the casualties are suffered, assess whether they are in range of the resurrection orb.Yup... congrats for getting this far. If they are, lay them down and move them with the unit. What!? This contradicts the Codex itself!! If they are not in range of the resurrection orb, remove them entirely.Well done! You will then know how many WBB rolls to make at the start of your next turn. Assuming you didnt ask the question or wrote the answer, in which case its assumed you need to return to school and learn to count using your fingers... The same logic applies if the Necrons fall back after taking shooting casualties. Logic? Yes...

They are the main ones. There are a few other minor laughs in there, but anything on this scale and ill definitely be updating here. As an aside, given the GW website has been made into one giant advery, anyone know where i can get hold of the fantasy FAQs?

Anyway.. rant over, for now!

Last edited by Phoenix; March 23rd, 2009 at 03:04.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Trust me, you don't want to look at the fantasy FAQs, they are even worse. Thats what happens when the people writing the FAQs aren't the people who wrote the actual rules themselves, they just make stuff up (and recently almost every FAQ they right has questionable material all over it).

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by frozencore View Post
    Trust me, you don't want to look at the fantasy FAQs, they are even worse. Thats what happens when the people writing the FAQs aren't the people who wrote the actual rules themselves, they just make stuff up (and recently almost every FAQ they right has questionable material all over it).
    Damn... how right you are. Although i did find one small glimmer of hope...

Q. If the Beastmaster's Scourge can be combined with a mundane hand weapon for +1 attack, can a model with the Dagger of Hotek which says it may be combined with a mundane hand weapon for an additional attack use the three together to boost his total attacks by +2?
    A. Only by creatures with three or more arms! The answer is Ďobviously notí. We decided not to bin this question as a non-question just to use it as a perfect example of the way we donít like our games to be played. Trying to assume that a warrior is fighting with a normal sword, the Dagger of Hotek and a Beastmaster Scourge all at the same time itís so absurd that it denotes a very wrong attitude towards the game (i.e. too extreme application of Rules As Written against all common sense).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Damn... how right you are. Although i did find one small glimmer of hope...

Q. If the Beastmaster's Scourge can be combined with a mundane hand weapon for +1 attack, can a model with the Dagger of Hotek which says it may be combined with a mundane hand weapon for an additional attack use the three together to boost his total attacks by +2?
    A. Only by creatures with three or more arms! The answer is Ďobviously notí. We decided not to bin this question as a non-question just to use it as a perfect example of the way we donít like our games to be played. Trying to assume that a warrior is fighting with a normal sword, the Dagger of Hotek and a Beastmaster Scourge all at the same time itís so absurd that it denotes a very wrong attitude towards the game (i.e. too extreme application of Rules As Written against all common sense).
    Obviously the writer of this FAQ doesn't know that all dark elves are ninjas.

But, for whatever reason, whenever I have a question and go looking in the FAQs for answers, guess what? It isn't there!

Q. If they spend their life covered in filth and gore, eating the most disgusting things imaginable (by which I mean "elves"), why do Ogre Butchers wear aprons?

Now that's a question that needs to be FAQed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

You should have read the UK GT FAQ from a few years back, it's a shame I didn't keep a copy, a couple of the Imperial Guard ones stuck in my mind:

Does the officer's Leadership rule confer the +1Ld bonus for having a Commissar in the squad?
    No

Does the officer's Leadership rule confer the +1Ld bonus for being in Close Order Drill?
    Yes

Sorry what?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

539 (x8)

I wish they would just reprint the books with a large version number on the first page. I'm sure no more than 3 versions would be needed, including the original release and then have every versions updated rules on the website too.

Once something has to be printed, there's money involved and as soon as there's money in the picture, people start paying attention and stupid FAQ's like these don't happen.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

I'm going to use my stock answer.

It's GW. What did you expect!

The guys arranging the "official" Swedish 40k tournament also did some pretty funky rulings in their FAQ (they have compiled a FAQ to use in their tournaments).
    One ruling is on the Book of St.Lucius that the SoB have which grants the unmodified Ld of the bearer to all units within 6". This Ld is unmodifiable (per the codex), but their rules team thought that this was either too good or something so they ruled it to be modifiable.

Hilarious!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by frozencore View Post
    Good point. By extension (i cant be bothered to go check ) are codexs/army books written by the same people who write the BgB rules? If not then 3 different sets of people writing 3 different aspects of the rules....... a recipe for disaster!

PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

There are usually a lot of different people writing each rulebook and codex. So it is as you say, a recipe of disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel View Post
    There are usually a lot of different people writing each rulebook and codex. So it is as you say, a recipe of disaster.
    Yup, and also, i feel they rely to much upon the personal tastes of the person writing the book. It should not be "armybook written by Gav Thorpe" It should be "Armybook by GW".

If you make 1 person the big kahuna you get things like the previous CSM dex: the head writer loved Iron Warriors so they got a large boost (enormously so, they were true Gouda at one point).
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]