Other I have a friend who has no hope - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I have a friend who has no hope

Ok guys, I wonder if any of you guys have a wargamming friend who is in some way doomed. I do, my friend is doomed to never have a completed army. He started collecting 5 years before me (in 1995) and he has collected many armies (and when I say many I mean look below ). When I say collected I mean he has bought the codex/army book as well as about 2 boxed sets and a chaiter, then got bored and moved on

So basically I wanted to know your stories, do tell us about any wargammers you know how are in some way doomed.

I will now list all the armyies I have seen him collect in roughly the order he stated them some are listed twice:

space marines blood angels

dark eldar

vampire counts

empire

high elfs

the old orcs and goblins

space marines black templers

the old wood elfs

dark elfs (supprising he almost has a whole army of them now )

impriail guard

deamon hunters

the old eldar

inquisitor (not sure what race/faction)

battle fleet gothinc chaos

Ogre kingdoms

dwarfs

brettoniens

lotr elfs

tomb kings

the new wood elfs

high elfs again

the new vampires

Last edited by Phoenix; April 1st, 2009 at 13:51.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Please be sure to use good Grammar (Even just the basics, Capitals and full stops.) in the future please. I have edited your above post to make it more readable. Also, a spell checker wouldn't be missed.

When i used to be massively into the hobby i had a friend who started many armies. He always bought and made them ok, but never really painted, and he moved between armies pretty quickly. From what i can remember, he had:
    LotR, Tau, Dwarves, Wood Elves, Mordheim, Necrons, Tyrannids, Space Marines
    He did manage quite a few games with some of his armies though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Know myself?

I don't know a friend like that, I am that guy. I came into this hobby from AD&D, where I was the one fellow in the group who collected and painted miniatures for the rest. Of course, going from painting one or two miniatures every few months to represent ongoing characters was a big switch to painting dozens of miniatures a month in order to support "shiny new army" syndrome.

I think anyone who comes into this hobby for the miniature aspect first is going to find it hard to collect a single full army. Every month GW comes out with more cool stuff (OK, not always cool, but their output far outpasses my ability to collect and paint). As a result, collectors/painters like myself find ourselves jumping from cool unit to unit, never really settling down and amassing a single massive force. If all the miniatures I've collected from GW were from only 2 or 3 army lists, I'd definitely have solid Armageddon-sized forces available. As it is, I'm lucky when I amass 1000 pts of any single army before I sell it off to make space for the new cooler army.

A quick list of my progression through the armies: Space Marine OSU Buckeyes chapter (who cared in those early days)*, Space Orks*, Tyranids*, Ultramarines*, Tau, Imperial Guard*, Ogre Kingdoms*, Empire, Orks & Goblins, Vampire Counts*, Eldar*, SM Howling Griffons*, Black Templars, Orks, Imperial Guard again. (*-sold).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I have to an extent this problem too. However it follows a pattern. If I'm doing good economically and can afford new models I'll buy them. However when i don't have the3 cash You'll notice I'll finish off building and painting armies. For example My Space wolves and Tyranids are all fully painted. My Tau and High Elves are not at i got them when i was doing good with the cash.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

This dilemma sounds oddly familiar...

Let's see, just counting models I've owned, I've attempted to collect:

Eldar (twice)
    Dark Eldar (twice)
    Imperial Guard
    Space Marines (three times, counting current)
    Chaos Space Marines
    Harlequins-themed Eldar
    Tau (three times)
    Necrons (twice)
    High Elves

Not to mention all of the armies that I've thought of collecting and designed a ton of lists for... which would be just about every 40k army in existence (including non-official armies such as Harlequins, Kroot Mercenaries and Armoured Company) and a couple other Fantasy armies.

I definitely know how your friend feels!

I'm (hopefully) coming out of the rut by choosing an army I've loved from the start, the Raven Guard, and doing my best to stick with them. We'll see how it goes!

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

i have

1500pts Space marines - Angels of Glory, painted and ready
    1750pts CSM - Painted and ready.

now.

250 pts of SM Unpainted
    500pts of CSM unpainted
    1000pts of Imperial guard unpainted
    1500pts of undead unpainted
    1x Lion charriot unpainted.

yeah, and i just gave my bro a tau and nids battle force thats been sat in the loft for about a year lol.

i think most of us suffer this syndrome!
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

I used to do 1000 point 40k armies when I was younger about 6 or 7 years ago maybe, though i'd paint them all, i'd sometimes sell them to my mates. Begun with eldar quite seriously, collecting about 2000 points (Still do), then iron warriors 1k (Sold), imperial guard (sold most but started another army last year), tau (Sold recently), black templars (Sold), blood angels (still have in the loft), grey knights (still have in the loft), chaos undivided (Sold), few years ago begun ultramarines but got no where and finally started a high elf army, painted it in a week (sold a few months ago).

Past year or so I've tried to not start too many armies. I was going to just have 2 40k armies and 2 fantasy armies but that failed when I started orcs and goblins not so long ago (now have about 3k points and 2k painted). Problem is a paint too quick and fairly well considering so its even more attractive to start armies. I enjoy collecting and painting immensly though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    I will now list all the armyies I have seen him collect in roughly the order he stated them some are listed twice
    Haha, I think he should start collecting orks next

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x3)

I usually suffer from doing squads from different armies but i've recently been recovering from that, the best ways to stop this constant flitting from one project to another is to:
    1. Join Tale Of Painters
    2. Make a personal ban for yourself ie. no new units until the ones you currently own are painted.
    3. Or as a last resort, give your friends permission to kick you everytime you think about stopping your current project.

Add me! Let me know your forum name too! =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    Ok guys, I wonder if any of you guys have a wargamming friend who is in some way doomed. I do, my friend is doomed to never have a completed army...
    Dude GW should give your friend a medal. People like him must be their dream customers, seriously. What more could they want in a customer than no attention span and the money to back it up?

He would have spent heaps more over the years than someone with one 10.,000 point army.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast