White Dwarf - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White Dwarf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

White Dwarf

Does it still suck or have they gotten their act together yet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Doomthought View Post
    Does it still suck or have they gotten their act together yet?
    It still sucks, though it is not generating quite as much suction . I bought the latest WD to see what they would have in there regarding the new IG releases. Well all I can say is I was disappointed. Battle reports were crap, no real detail just an attempt at a clever three tier report. it ended up showing very little about the new units and how such things as the new order system works.
    No real detail on how the army works, even the list designer article is very poor. The thing I find unforgivable though is the total lack of fluff background, in years gone by any new codex would be covered with in-depth articles and lots of stories about the army. These stories generated a real feel for the army and even excitement for the new army. The coverage of the IG just left me cold.
    While WD is not as bad as it was 12 months ago it is still a long way away from the Fat Bloke days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

'Tis a shame, they only reason I ever used to get those was for bat reps. Sigh, I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Mh, i bought my last one... 5 months ago, it was still awful. too much LotR and why does FW get 4 pages filled with white borders to show 5 models?

Gonna be a while till i buy one again.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x2)

I bought one recently, because of the stompas, but every month I am keeping check it when not wrapped, and always leave it on the shelf. "Maybe next time... maybe next month... maybe the next issue..."

No change, half is boring, the other half is something that I am not interested in...

Maybe next month!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    148 (x2)

not to personally assault anyone, but i am getting sick of whining about games workshop and their products...i thought the imperial guard issue was incredibly entertaining/informative, I honestly don't know what else you could ask for, they went over all the new units in quite a bit of detail, and the connected battle reports was really fun to read
    chaos marines have the chaos gods on their side, but space marines have games workshop on theirs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by starhawks View Post
    not to personally assault anyone, but i am getting sick of whining about games workshop and their products...i thought the imperial guard issue was incredibly entertaining/informative, I honestly don't know what else you could ask for, they went over all the new units in quite a bit of detail, and the connected battle reports was really fun to read
    And not to personally attack anyone but I am getting sick of people blindly ignoring the fact that GW is in decline. The games we love are in real danger of disappearing in the near future (5 yrs). We have lost a great magazine, GW have cut R&D staff, shops are closing, prices are going up, the background that made these games the great hobby they are is being neglected (shamefully so in my opinion). These things are not whining they are FACT.
    If you compare WD's coverage of the previous IG codexwith the coverage in the latest WD you will see it is pitifully bad. Go and get some WD back issues from when Paul Sawyer was the editor and you will see what else we cpuld ask for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    And not to personally attack anyone but I am getting sick of people blindly ignoring the fact that GW is in decline. The games we love are in real danger of disappearing in the near future (5 yrs). We have lost a great magazine, GW have cut R&D staff, shops are closing, prices are going up, the background that made these games the great hobby they are is being neglected (shamefully so in my opinion). These things are not whining they are FACT.
    If you compare WD's coverage of the previous IG codexwith the coverage in the latest WD you will see it is pitifully bad. Go and get some WD back issues from when Paul Sawyer was the editor and you will see what else we cpuld ask for.
    Well, what would be your recommended solution?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Day Old Blue View Post
    Well, what would be your recommended solution?
    Well first thing would be get rid of Kirby the CEO.

In no particular order:

Second get someone on board who knows how to run a business, who knows where the money should be invested and can maximise cash flow.

Third put the investment where it matters in R & D, the game is what the company is about. Solid rules sets, well developed and professionally produced quality codexes that do not require an immediate FAQ.

Third stop the unjustified and frequent price rises.

Fourth rethink the company policy regarding independent stockists, a sale is a sale.
    Fifth put the focus back on the background and fluff.

Sixth lose LOTR.

Seventh stop with the silly expansions, concentrate on the core game and make it as good as it can be.

Eighth Models, put investment in the creation and manufacturing of new models. Better and more frequent new model releases mean more sales. More sales means more profit.

Ninth promotion, get back to the shop floor promotions, more campaigns with prizes etc.

Tenth put White Dwarf back to what it was a magazine to inspire the hobby not a frigging catalogue.

Eleventh concentrate on the markets that pay the Uk and Europe. Scale back the USA and Asian presence until the company is in a position to rethink the foray back into these markets with an effective and structured marketing strategy with the financial muscle to support it.

Twelfth LISTEN TO THE GAME PLAYING CUSTOMERS.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; May 22nd, 2009 at 00:14.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I agree with half of your points, so I'll just address the ones I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    Fourth rethink the company policy regarding independent stockists, a sale is a sale.
    GW sell their products to independant stockist for 60% of the retail cost, which in an area where there is a GW shop they are losing out on profit - the store would be open anyway. They would be much better off making their internet shop work correctly, and going for the mail order business. Also, the website store should be cheaper than the shop, as you're not having to pay anywhere near the amount of rent, heat, light, or wages.

Sixth lose LOTR.
    I can't find how much profit they made on the LOTR section last year (it sensibly doesn't split the income by game as I imagine it'd be a bitch to calculate the man-hours spent selling it in store as compared to WFB and 40k) but I also know they they would drop it like a hot potato if they weren't making money on it. It gets people in stores, which gets them in the hobby. That, at the end of the day, is good for both us and GW.

Seventh stop with the silly expansions, concentrate on the core game and make it as good as it can be.
    I quite like Apocalpse thanks, and I imagine I'll enjoy Planetstrike too. They make them money, which keeps the company going, so I'm perfectly happy with the current situation in this case. Besides, if they couldn't put out Apoc books etc, they'd probably revise the main rulebooks more often, which means more codex revision.

Eighth Models, put investment in the creation and manufacturing of new models. Better and more frequent new model releases mean more sales. More sales means more profit.
    In my opinion the models we're getting now are of better quality, and more frequently released than they ever were. What exactly do you want? They'd either be releasing models there are no rules for, or repeatedly issue new versions of older models. Neither is particularly good news as far as I'm concerned.

Eleventh concentrate on the markets that pay the Uk and Europe. Scale back the USA and Asian presence until the company is in a position to rethink the foray back into these markets with an effective and structured marketing strategy with the financial muscle to support it.
    Last year the US made them £322k profit, Asia made them £491k. I don't see them turning down over £800k profit, do you? Especially since that's up £150k on the previous YTD, and it accounts for 25% of their overall profit.

Data from here

Twelfth LISTEN TO THE GAME PLAYING CUSTOMERS.
    For the love of Gods, no! I'd say roughly 50% of GW's customers are on the whole either a) immature, b) clueless about the real world or c) both. Look at some of the people you see in the store, or on this forum* - do you really want them to have a say?

* No offence guys and gals ;-)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast