Ok?? What just happened - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok?? What just happened

Well weird thing is that For the past three weeks my local game stores one by one have mysteriously closed no reason why. Is it the economy or what?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Well weird thing is that For the past three weeks my local game stores one by one have mysteriously closed no reason why. Is it the economy or what?
    Are we talking GW stores here or independents? Where are you located?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

it's a conspiracy and the government is out to get you, don your tin foil hat now if you haven't done so already.

a little more info than just stores closing appreciated though answers will remain just as ambiguous if we aren't actually familiar with the store in your area. could just be coincidence or so much competition on a small niche market that lacked consumer base in that area that they all lost. shrug.

edit: after reading below... it does somewhat depend what area you're in. i know GW closed two store south of me while opening two more in my more immediate area (northern virginia) with plans to open a dc bunker within a year or two... 'course this area is supposedly one of the wealthiest in the nation.
    they're probably just consolidating store numbers into more target areas that meet their criteria from that old marketing pamphlet of theirs thats floating somewhere in this forum.
    Last edited by Certs; May 21st, 2009 at 18:19.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

If your talking about GW stores then yes, mine closed down last month with no notice or reason.
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both were located north Ohio and both were indys.

Its pissing me off how now I have to travel longer to get to one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

There used to be THREE GWs in the metropolitan Boston area, now there's one, and that's if that one hasn't closed too.

EDIT: Nope, that one's gone, too. *sigh*
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

As far as GW's closing down, I’ve had my local GW close down recently too, and the next closes one is also closing down.

The rumor is they are going to replace the two locations witch were located in Malls, with actual stores. The rent for malls is Way too high and on top of that you need to follow their hours of operation. Maybe this is a national trend and some sort of new plan GW is executing. Either way, I hope they open up the new store soon.

As far as indie game shops closing down it are partly due to the economy being in the shape it is. People are being tighter with $ and this hobby is the 1st to get cut from a budget for allot of people. Not just the war gaming, but allot of a shops income is from the CCG people. With moms and dads not giving little Billy much $ he can’t spend it on game junk.

I also believe a big part of it is people not supporting their local shops by buying from them; instead they would rather save a few bucks and get it online.

/rant
    As a former shop owner I know its really hard to compete with online deals when people are getting 20%+ cheaper than retail, your only making 15-20% on everything you sell, you end up needing to sell 10 grand worth of product just to make rent. Then Mr. war-game comes in with his nice new armies bragging to all the other guys about some website that he got it from and how cheep it is, but then brings it in to play on my tables and then wonders why the shop didn’t make it........
    \rant
    Sorry had to get that off my chest.

So yeah support your local game shop.....
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

This looks like a problem mainly for the US at the moments, here in england everythings cool at the moment. Although that has made me worried because our economy is one year BEHIND yours so im gonna have to stock up within the next year or so....

Spladge P
    Sometimes the best defense is a good offense... Wait, what?

THE GAME

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

In Texas, the market is growing for GW stores. But an indy store just closed, though it was one of those that was generally run poorly.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

My local games workshop in the uk is employing more staff. theres like 3 there a day!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast