Other Aggressive Gamer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63
  1. #1
    LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vault 13
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

    Aggressive Gamer

    There is a guy down at my local GW who is in his 30's has a family (at least one child anyway) so on, basically a regular joe.

    The thing is he is really quite agressive. I have seen him play maybe three or four games and he is always ready to be sarcastic, effectivly shout down opposition, and generally be rather unpleasant. The thing that makes it really annoying to watch is that he often gets the rules a bit wrong (or maybe he is just cheating....).

    What makes it so odd and to be honest dissapointing is that he does this even against younger players.

    I watched one match yesterday Lizard men vs Dark Elves (he plays dark elves) where he actually intimidated this younger guy (15/16) to the extent that I felt compelled to step in and point out a number of things he was doing wrong.

    -Focus Familiars are represented by a marker placed at the start of the Dark Elf Magic phase.
    -You lose Frenzy after you lose combat but before break tests are taken so you are subject to Fear for example.
    -Flank/rear charges aren't stopped by odd models in the rear ranks of the unit. You simply shift the rank across.
    -You can use shields with spears (he was trying to stop the lizard man player doing this).
    -You can't shoot after failing a charge.

    The Lizardman player is a good gamer and actually won the thing but I think if I hadn't pointed a few rules points (no tactics at all) then he would have lost simply through intimidation.

    The wierd thing is that his personality has powergamer written all over it but his actual armies are fairly standard. I am coming to the conclusion that this isn't because he isn't a power gamer but because he isn't very good at the game (He massivly overestimates the power of a Hydra for example).

    Anyway I haven't played against him yet, but I am sure I will in the future. Not really looking foward to it as I am sure it will just be rather awkward as I slog through rules points turn after turn.

    I think if I do play against him I will bring my copy of the Dark Elf army book and the rule book safetly on my side of the table ready for any 'discussion'

    Anyway would love to hear thoughts, comments or similar experiences.

    Last edited by Visitor Q; June 8th, 2009 at 15:38.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

    Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Banned ArchonFarseerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Jafaland, New Zealand
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

    Give him a game, but if you find it unpleasant, don't play him again. It's not particularly complex.

    I had a LOTR opponent who was similar. He's a great guy usually (though it pays to not get him talking about something you're disinterested in), but when he gamed, it was like something else altogether became prevalent. During turns, he would find problems with the rules or how you were following them left right and centre, despite having less experience in the game, and was usually wrong. Further, he would never take up his own case in a civilised manner - he would yell and swear until he got his point across.

    After games, he would pull out excuse after excuse for losing: bad rolls, unfair tactics used by the enemy (no lie), superior experience from the opposing general leading to an unfair advantage (this was a common one), amongst others. Further, he tended to get sarcastic in congratulating the general after the match and those who forfeited games had to endure accusations of being a sore loser .

    In the end, I pulled out my figures for a game, and politely told him that said game would be the last I played against him, for the reasons outlined above. I'm still friends with said person to this day, however, and he's a top bloke as far as I'm concerned, it was just during games that his streak of poor gamesmanship would come out. Odd.

  4. #3
    RAWR! KROXIGOR!! kroxigor01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    10
    Posts
    1,935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

    Unfortunately some people subconsciously value percieved superiority without realising that they are reflecting badly on themselves.

    Its not the persons fault, they were born that way.

    In life situations other then making friends through wargaming the 'aggressive gamer' is well equipped with inherit advantages. Such as in an office meeting were it doesn't matter what your equals think of you, only what you superiors do, and in a social group (were the most assertive, and often least logical, are often held in the highest acclaim) 'being a dick' is quite a good social strategy.
    Last edited by kroxigor01; June 8th, 2009 at 13:57.

  5. #4
    LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vault 13
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

    Good points.


    The funny thing is I heard that he played a game against this other guy who is a really top bloke, sportsmanlike etc who is about the same age. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of that match.
    Last edited by Visitor Q; June 8th, 2009 at 15:36.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

    Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

    Make sure you print out all relevant erratta/FAQ's to close down that way of "bending the rules".

    I had a similar experience about 3 years back, the guy I was playing was about 11/10 and I was 17, this guy had an annoying tendency to argue every rule that tipped in my favour when I found the rule and showed him he insisted that we restart that turn as he didn't know that beforehand.
    I said ok and waited for him to painstakingly return all his models to their original place. When he was done I packed up all my models and left. He didn't argue so much after that humiliation.

  7. #6
    LO's Resident Time Lord Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New England, USA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,270
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01 View Post
    Unfortunately some people subconsciously value percieved superiority without realising that they are reflecting badly on themselves.

    Its not the persons fault, they were born that way.
    I don't mean to be contrarian here, but I've never held the belief that people are actually born with any kind of behavior (apologies if I'm taking you too literally here). People LEARN to be a certain way, and if they are making others miserable, that's a problem that really ought to be fixed.

    Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01 View Post
    In life situations other then making friends through wargaming the 'aggressive gamer' is well equipped with inherit advantages. Such as in an office meeting were it doesn't matter what your equals think of you, only what you superiors do, and in a social group (were the most assertive, and often least logical, are often held in the highest acclaim) 'being a dick' is quite a good social strategy.
    Again, I don't see this as a very good excuse for being a jerk to fellow players. The hypothetical person in the above paragraph needs to understand that he/she is not in the office, or the pub, or a place where that kind of behavior is acceptable. It's like saying, "But I act like this at home, why can't I here?" Well, because you're not at home. Even if you have difficulty "turning it off," it's a sign of a pretty ignorant and insensitive person when they can't perceive that they're making others uncomfortable, at least in the case the OP has mentioned, anyway.

    To the OP: Normally, I'd give the "don't play him" speech, but it's clear that your concern is more for how he is impacting other players. To an extent, I'm almost inclined to advise you to do nothing at all, since all 40k players should be prepared to deal with someone like this, as sadly this is a perennial problem at most gaming clubs. There's always one jerk in the bunch at least.

    Course, that's kind of a crass and cold way to treat a "victim" player who is, say, 12, 13, 14 years old, and at that age, or younger, the intimidating 30-something (who ought to be ashamed of himself, by the way) might even drive them out of the hobby altogether. I applaud your getting involved to keep this guy from scaring away that poor kid, but in the future, I'd recommend NOT taking matters into your own hands like that. I'm not saying bury your head in the sand, but since this is a gaming club, where people are supposed to relax and have fun, I don't think it's wise to begin scrapping with other players, even though you clearly mean well.

    I would, however, make sure the store manager or event organizer knows about the guy. You're right in that problem players like this can sour the experience for others, and it's in the best interests of event organizers in particular (who often don't get paid to draw in other players for tournaments, etc.) to nip behavior like that in the bud.

    Failing that, just make sure other players see and know what kind of guy the problem player is. This will help the younger folks develop a thicker skin, and will maybe lead to public pressure for this guy to grow up a little. I'd also recommend volunteering to play games with any younger player you feel has been intimidated by this guy, as a positive experience with a player like you will do wonders to undo the damage.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

    Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

    The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

    Peace, through superior firepower.

  8. #7
    LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vault 13
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post

    To the OP: Normally, I'd give the "don't play him" speech, but it's clear that your concern is more for how he is impacting other players. To an extent, I'm almost inclined to advise you to do nothing at all, since all 40k players should be prepared to deal with someone like this, as sadly this is a perennial problem at most gaming clubs. There's always one jerk in the bunch at least.

    Course, that's kind of a crass and cold way to treat a "victim" player who is, say, 12, 13, 14 years old, and at that age, or younger, the intimidating 30-something (who ought to be ashamed of himself, by the way) might even drive them out of the hobby altogether. I applaud your getting involved to keep this guy from scaring away that poor kid, but in the future, I'd recommend NOT taking matters into your own hands like that. I'm not saying bury your head in the sand, but since this is a gaming club, where people are supposed to relax and have fun, I don't think it's wise to begin scrapping with other players, even though you clearly mean well.

    I would, however, make sure the store manager or event organizer knows about the guy. You're right in that problem players like this can sour the experience for others, and it's in the best interests of event organizers in particular (who often don't get paid to draw in other players for tournaments, etc.) to nip behavior like that in the bud.

    Failing that, just make sure other players see and know what kind of guy the problem player is. This will help the younger folks develop a thicker skin, and will maybe lead to public pressure for this guy to grow up a little. I'd also recommend volunteering to play games with any younger player you feel has been intimidated by this guy, as a positive experience with a player like you will do wonders to undo the damage.


    Excellent advice. Most of which I have already done to be honest. For example apart from pointing out a few things I actually let them play on after all it is their game.

    On the other hand I took the Lizardman player to one side afterwards and went through the rules points (and also went through a few tactical points).


    I play quite a few games against the Lizardman player anyway.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

    Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

  9. #8
    The Future realitycheque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,848
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

    You guys are just too damn nice! Personally I'd send them running off to mummy with a few well chosen sarcastic comments, but then I am known for being a bit harsh (although I like to think of it as "harsh but fair")
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

  10. #9
    Senior Member carrotman50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

    hmmm, i know gamers like that, although they generally are LotR players....

    the 40k players at my GW are really nice guys, so I'm kinda lucky i guess (must be good old british politeness )
    For get your Mr T, John Mayer leaks pure awesomeness with every note he plays.

  11. #10
    RAWR! KROXIGOR!! kroxigor01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    10
    Posts
    1,935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    I don't mean to be contrarian here, but I've never held the belief that people are actually born with any kind of behavior (apologies if I'm taking you too literally here). People LEARN to be a certain way, and if they are making others miserable, that's a problem that really ought to be fixed.
    Yes. I should have said 'made by factors out of their control' rather then 'born that way', either way its not their fault. Behavior only becomes someones fault (IMO) after they realise or are made to realise what they are doing. Afterall, would you blame a dog for urinating everywhere before you've told it not to (not to compare gamers to incontenant canines...).

    Again, I don't see this as a very good excuse for being a jerk to fellow players.
    I wasn't claiming it to be an excuse, merely the reason why.
    Last edited by kroxigor01; June 9th, 2009 at 04:05.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts