Other Taking the hobby cross-country - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking the hobby cross-country

Looking for some advice on how to get my army and all the paints across the country. I'm flying, and my car is being shipped. Factors I'm considering are 1) safety of the models 2) paints drying out 3) airport security.

I've accepted the fact that I'll probably have to buy new spray primers/sealants on the east coast, as they can't be shipped, go on the plane, and the car will be hot as hell while being shipped.

for 1) I don't feel too good about checking the models as baggage with my current container, and not about to spring on an upgrade. Shipping them presents the same problem, so leaning towards putting them in my car. Can the heat do anything to painted models? To clarify, they would be in the trunk, and the car is on top of a truck which will be in the sun for >12hrs per day.

2) Paints - could the high temperatures in my car degrade/dryout the paints? Using mainly GW and vallejo.

3) Chances that TSA considers pewter minis to be dangerous? I don't know what they could claim, but I can see trouble coming when a case full of uniform, slightly pointed metal objects moves through the x-ray. I know the paints wouldn't get through in a carry-on, but I'm considering checking them in a bag.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

1) No, the heat will not do anything to the painted models, as long as it's not going to be hot enough to melt the metal, which I doubt. I've left models under hot lamps without any damage to them before, so it should be fine.

2) As long as you use a relatively airtight container, small periods of a few days will not dry out the paints too much, and if it does at all you can always water them down slightly.

3) No, pewter models would not be considered dangerous and you would not have them confiscated at an airport. Unless airport security in America is a thousand times (and I mean a thousand) tighter than it is in Europe. I know it's tight, but I doubt it's that tight.

~ DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon in White View Post
    1) No, the heat will not do anything to the painted models, as long as it's not going to be hot enough to melt the metal, which I doubt. I've left models under hot lamps without any damage to them before, so it should be fine.

2) As long as you use a relatively airtight container, small periods of a few days will not dry out the paints too much, and if it does at all you can always water them down slightly.

3) No, pewter models would not be considered dangerous and you would not have them confiscated at an airport. Unless airport security in America is a thousand times (and I mean a thousand) tighter than it is in Europe. I know it's tight, but I doubt it's that tight.

~ DiW
    It isn't the fact that it is tight, it is the fact that TSA are the testiest people ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

Ive done it once but that was before the days of 9/11

What I did, and I'm supprised I actually managed this but I was just 12 going to visit my grandparents
    for the summer.

Those storage containers will suffice, just make sure they're taped shut with heat resistant tape.

Get packing foam, or peanuts, your preference.

Just make sure you somehow find a way to transport your hobby knives.

My dad looked at me funny when TSA pulled out exacto blades. What can I say I was a dumb teenager.

As far as heat wise, Just hope for the best. A good way to get rid of your spray paints is give them
    to friends and they'll be happy about it.

Paints should be in a locktite container, these work extremely well. But that was way back in the day tho.

If you plan on taking liquids, paints have to be no less than 2qt bottles, and in ziplock bags - this should
    help the exploding process and should be easier to clean up better.
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

+ Reply to Thread