WH40K Storing Models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing Models

Hello,

A little about myself first, i collect Warhamer 40k and have managed to assemble an ok army, i currently use a 'brief case' type tihing with foam cushioning inside; which i lay down all my models and close the lid keeping them safe. the exterior is hard plastic and i have dropped / banged / thrown this case many times with no damage to the models inside.

The probolem im facing now is i have started to get some larger models, Dreadnoughts Tanks etc. which dont fit into my current case.

Ive had a look on the Games Workshop site and seen some xpensive looking cases that only seem to hold troop sized models - at a push large troop sized.

was just curious as to what you guys used to store and travel your larger models (not talking Apocalypse sized) and if you had any suggestions /links to something you use or found useful?

Thank you for your help
    Kind Regards

I'm Batman

W1 / L1 / D1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Well, you can buy special Vehicle Trays from a lot of places, but generally I just tear out the foam dividers to make the spaces bigger - so 2 spaces will fit a bike, 4 spaces will fit a Dreadnought, and 4 spaces on 2 layers will fit a Rhino-sized tank.

~ DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

That's the good thing about the foam trays. You can enlarge the spaces in them by cutting out some of the dividers, so you fit your larger models in there.

I should get a proper carrying case some time, my models are just stored in a tool box and a variety of cardboard boxes. It's not a huge problem for me because i don't often take them anywhere.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

183 (x4)

well, there is a sticky here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ing-cases.html (Carrying cases)

Just to cut it short, here is a battlefoam V2 foam trays that probably fit your requirments:
    http://battlefoam.com/catalog.php?category=58
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Failing that a fishing tacklebox never hurt, its alot cheaper has spaces for all different sized models and can store fairly large armies depending on what you go for.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Kaiser rushforth have an offer on at the moment if you're in the UK, you can get 2 cases for the price of 1 (kind of) and their foam trays are very flexible.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I really like those KR Cases, would love to get the Double sized Aluminium one.

However can some please explain the best option for myself, i cureently have standard 25mm models with a few larege scale 25mm (Terminators) also have an attack bike.

But i am lloking at getting Drop Pods etc and it seems the Pick and Pluck option would be best, but what overall Depts would work for these requirements?

How many trays can the Double Sized case store?

I have emailed the site but havent had a reaply yet, perhaps youve had some experiance or you have the Double sized case and can help me out?

Thank you for your time and input.
    Kind Regards
    I'm Batman

W1 / L1 / D1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Again, I'll reiterate what Hive Fleet Ruina has said, look at his thread on cases. IN there you will find lots of advice on what cases are on offer. You will also find a chart which i put together which tells you, amongst other things how many standard sized trays each case will hold and what its capacity in standard miniatures is. I can only suggest that if you need more specific details on how your exact collection will fit you look at the seller or manufacturers websites. These are also listed in that thread.

There is no simple answer as to how many trays they hold, as that depends on how deep the tray is, must companies sell a range. That in turn is your choice dependent on what miniatures you want to store and basically comes down to measuring them. In my spreadsheet I have listed how many 'standard' GW depth type trays each case holds.

Yes pick and pluck raster tray is probably your best bet for the drop pod, unless you go for one of the custom designed jobs from Battle Foam (see pic below). Unfortunately the custom nature of raster foam and the diversity of peoples collections makes it incredibly hard to judge what will fit. Look on the websites and the total depth of the case, then look at the depth of your large models. Choose the depth of raster foam that is closest but slightly larger than the tallest model and select that. Then work out how much space you have left in the case and keep on selecting trays until you have filled the ceases capacity. My best advice would be buy more storage than you think you need, and as the expense is normally in the case not the tray, buy a couple of spare trays. Before you start pulling the rasta apart, sit with the tray and your models and really plan how you are going to fit them.

Choose your manufacturer carefully and take into account such subtle things as the softness of the foam and the size of the squares in the raster. The softer the foam the more give there will be so the more you can squeeze larger things into smaller gaps. A terminator's base for example will fit into a normal sized slot in a Feldherr tray because it will dig into the foam below and above. The uber solid nature of FIC foam and tray bases means it won't. Also the smaller the individual squares of a raster tray, the smaller the wall between models can be and the more you can fit in.

But just to say it again, look at Ruina's thread as we have already written a lot of this.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by matus; July 27th, 2009 at 11:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link / advice will read up through them all now.
    I'm Batman

W1 / L1 / D1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

183 (x4)

well, you can also get this:
    found here: http://battlefoam.com/catalog.php?it...Fcategory%3D58

They also sell tank trays and bike trays. All you have to do is go to Warhammer 40K on the left, click on Space Marines at the top of the page, then research away! Remember they have 7 pages worth of space marine foam trays.
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast