Other How often do you game? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

How often do you game?

Hey all:

I'm just curious as to whether I'm the only one struggling recently to find time to actually get in and play this game we all love (well, for me it's 40k, but this applies to WHFB as well). First, let me clue you in as to my situation.

I have always been fortunate enough to have several clubs and hobby stores in my area to choose from (though that number is shrinking of late--thank you, recession), but despite this, my opportunities for gaming have always been limited. I work full-time (and, against my will, part-time--again, thank you, recession), and what little free time I have left I often spend with my gf, so dashing off to the store even once a week has been nigh impossible.

Now that I'm a homeowner, various repairs and usual maintenance has sapped even more of my time. Add in the time to paint and build these models, not to mention OTHER free-time interests of mine, and getting in for a game is often seen as a periodic luxury. On top of that, when I DO get to go in, I find it difficult to justify to myself (let alone the aforementioned gf) the idea of just "hanging out" in the hopes that someone else will drift in and want a game, so I have to almost "make an appointment" via my stores' local forums.

I'm wondering if anyone else finds this to be a problem, and how you deal with it. I know SOME of the players there by name, but not all, and it's often that when I post in local forums that I'm looking for a pickup game, I get a response back from someone I've never heard of. On occasion, I never hear anything at all (I went for more than three weeks at one shop trying to get someone to join me for a game and heard nothing back). I can't help but wonder whether being a "sporadic" player is frowned upon, and I don't know how to bring it up when I'm there.

For those of you who are regular club-goers (bless you, BTW. Wish I could do that!), do you know anyone who comes in only once in a while? How is that person looked at? Does it matter? This frustrates me sometimes, as I know this is, in part, a somewhat social activity, but I find it hard to "bond" with anyone I play with, as I don't think I'm around long enough to do it. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

I'm in the same boat really, i work all the hours that the gaming club is open
    so going there for a pick up game is not easy. Plus the g.w is a half an hour train ride away plus ten mins on the bike so dragging my carry case there is a chore.
    I love to play the game tho and i think i would be much better if i got to play it more.
    I think when me and my girlfriend find our own place (and if there is space) then i would love to have my own gaming table so i could game at home.
    After all staying in is the new going out! (I really heard that on the telly)

Boomer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

kinkeh secks pl0x?! Brother Tiberius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x2)

Hey Canew!
    I'm lucky enough to be a student and thus have alot of free time on my hands! especially suring the summer months! and because of this i usually get a minimum of 7-8 games of 40k in a week at gaming clubs/Games Workshops/my house and mates houses!

i woudnt worry about not being able to attend as much as you like.. Real Life often tkes things away from us that we enjoy and puts you up "craps creek" (PC'd it a bit lol) but it always knows how to give you it back through comprimise.

As for you thinking people look down on you not being able to attend... we don't.
    Theres a guy at my local gaming club that hadn't been in contact with us (our gaming group) ever since my local games workshop closed... know that we have started up our own gaming club and have been running it for 2-3years he's finally decided to come down and play.. and I must say it is great seeing him...

Whenever and where-ever you make friends you will never loose them! they're always going to be that.. your friends! get down when you can.. I'm sure they'd like to see you, just as much as you would like to play the game

Tibby
    My homage to my time spent at Libararium Online:
    Crimson Fists
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1658499

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Not even I, an unemployed who live 10mins from his local GW, find THAT much time to game these days. I much prefer the hobby side of it at the moment, which is weird, because when I was younger it was always the gaming that I enjoyed more and even putting them together seemed a chore.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

I have a designated warhammer table in my attic.
    I get to use it maybe once a month
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I started collecting GW armies in late '06. Since then, I have played 5 games. Yep, just 5. I don't mind too much though, I'm a painter/collector more than a gamer. I'd like to have played a bit more, but I'm fairly sure I'm never going to be one of those people who play regularly. I'll just keep painting, until in the future I'll be a rookie general with absolutely enormous armies!
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

I rarely get a chance to play as their are no local GW or clubs around. The group i usually play with have been so busy with work that they completely put gaming aside.
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

I play every Saturday. We have a group supported by a local indy comic shop. Start playing 40k at 10am, break in the afternoon for food, then some of us come back to play RPGs in the back room.

I'm fortunate enough to have a full time municipal job that gives me longer night shifts over fewer workdays. That way I only actually work 7 days out of every 14. Might need to fit a part time job in there soon though...

My wife gets the "quality time" she wants, and I get to make Saturday, MY day. Strangely, I'm always behind on painting.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I drive 50-60 miles(one way) to play each week. At least until I move in the next few months.
    Last edited by psichotykwyrm; July 25th, 2009 at 03:13. Reason: note
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

I am living in the countryside without knowing too much people for three years now... Also I work in impossible shifts (weekend afternoons for example), no weekend off. The closest club is 66 miles away and a GW store is 100 miles.

I played (ONCE) since I moved here bout three months ago with Dream Thief who stays somewhere near.

So, painting, converting till I`ll leave the area and go home and/or near to a City.

But the air and the scenery are just perfect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel your angst. I've got job, family, and house commitments that come before game time allowance. I may get in a game every few months, and I usually do so by signing up for local weekend tournaments or events. That way, I can pitch it to my wife that its an actual special occasion to pursue my hobby that she indulges but doesn't share.

Of course, as a result of playing so rarely, when it is a tournament-style get-together, I usually get an afternoon/evening of complete humiliation in return for my efforts to enjoy some games. Depending on the severity of the drubbing, it may cause me to switch from 40K to fantasy or just take a hiatus from the hobby for the next few months.

If I did have the ability to devote unscheduled time on Saturday afternoons to my own gaming, I'm lucky enough to have two excellent local stores with large gaming areas that are usually great spaces for pick up games. I know faces in both stores from tournaments, but just showing up for games on any afternoon is a luxury I don't have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast