Other Base Sizes for Gaming - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you allow non-standard bases sizes to be used by your opponent?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, go ahead. Doesn't make a difference to me.

23 74.19%
  • No!! You must abide by the rules and only use the base that was supplied !!

8 25.81%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x3)

Base Sizes for Gaming

Hi guys,
    I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on base sizes for their models? What I mean is do you put special characters on 40mm or larger bases when they are supplied with 25mm bases? Just for extra flare.

Or are you an advocate of the "Only use bases which the models are supplied with". Eg, would you refuse to play someone who mounted theyre ork nobs on 40mm bases?`

Have at it, please share your thoughts.

Cheers
    Knight

Add me! Let me know your forum name too! =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I would care that much if someone had weird bases.
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder. We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of my gaming buddies use larger bases than normal for some models. I don't think it is really much of an issue in 40k, though. Don't play fantasy (yet) so I can't comment from that perspective.
    Avatar of the Avatar, pure genius!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I voted no, but with the exception that if it were a cool base then I'd let them off. It makes a massive difference when it comes to deep striking units like Terminators.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

I'm fine with it unless we're in a competitive tournament where those bases are somehow giving him an extra advantage. Then, not so much.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I've seen people put berzekers on terminator bases so they could get the extra charge, I don't play him anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x3)

Yep, I totally agree with you mate. People who exploit the rules like that shouldn't be given games.

I guess larger bases are good for charactes and larger models, solely for the purpose of enhancing the look of the mini. I don't think anyone could justify putting all their marines on 40mil bases for gaming.

Cheers
    Knight

Add me! Let me know your forum name too! =)

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I vote no.
    I don't mind a conversion with a larger base than normal- I have a Space Marine character on a terminator base, because he's landing on two Orks and completely demolishing them. However, I don't use him in a game.

I believe that base size is factored in with the model. The model was playtested on a particular base, was intended for a particular base, and therefore operates from a particular base.
    I play fantasy- I would love to put some of my more invincible characters onto Chariot bases, so that when they join units, they fill those places in the ranks. In 40k, I wish that I could put my squad leaders on 40mm bases, so that it's easier to maintain coherency for the extra attacks. But alas, I only use the base which I am supplied with so, [in my mind] you should too.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you use a diffrend scale base you should at least make clear what the original size was, if you are gone use the model in a game.

base-to-base contact is in WHF very important

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I still base new terminators on 25mm. I had a few squads before GW changed them to 40mm, and i'm not keen at all. There is too much of an advantage for the termies on the large bases i.e. avoiding falling under template weapons. I've read on here somewhere that figures MUST be based on the size they came with or larger, But i have not checked the rulebook myself.

One of the staff at a GW near me told me it was fine to base termies on 25mm. Besides, 40mm bases do not have slots, and i'm not binning my old metal terminators.

Forgot about the poll ! I didnt vote. My basing might be off rules but im not doing it for a game advantage.
    Last edited by praxis; August 20th, 2009 at 10:06. Reason: Drifted off topic
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast