Other A sad time for gaming. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

A sad time for gaming.

Is it just in Blanchardstown, Ireland or has games workshop started to move further away from allowing people to game as time goes on.

For example at the start of the year fantasy games were played from 9am-9pm on Wednesday same for LoTR on Thursday and 40K on Friday. Monday, Tuesday and Saturday were open gaming till 6. We had 3 gaming tables.

The gaming tables have come from 3 down too 2 and we now have one table between 15 on an average day.

Now they are getting rid of gaming on Saturday (its for begginers) and on all the other days you can't game until 4:30 and must stop gaing at 8:30 or 5:30 depending on the day. You also hve to book your table in advance. You can only game for 1`hour at a time.

They say this is to encourage begginers because to store is crowded. I have decided to sell all my armys on ebay ( which detracts busness from them) except for my lizardmen. I will write a letter to the complaints office and see the store manager directly to discuss this. I will also try and get intouch with the regional manager. If this leds to nothing I quit and lizzies on ebay.

In my opinion lack of games will encourage begginers to quit if they can't find a game, therefore losing buisness in the longterm.

Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I've never played in a GW Store.

When I was stationed in Japan, my friends and I played in a Navy Barracks for a while, then moved to my house when we got tired of people screwing with our stuff.

Here back in the States, I play at our local gaming store, and even on nights that are devoted to other game systems, GW games are still usually being played.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

In GW's defense, they are a store, not a club. You don't walk into a video-game store and find a whole bank of computer or consoles where you can play your game. Instead, you might find one or two stations where you can play a demo or test out the game.

Additionally, it would be bad for business. Most beginner gamers are young teens, whereas most veterans are adults. Nobody wants to drop their kid off at a store which is flooded with over-age gamer-nerds (sweeping generalization made from the outside in), and most kids don't feel comfortable playing against a random adult. It can be disheartening to "lose to a 40-year old guy who's been playing for 20 years, and probably lives in his mom's basement" (an actual statement I made early on).

Another way that Veteran Gamers harm business, is that they don't buy things often. For example, I have 6+ armies, but I rarely ever buy anything. By limiting the length of time that you have for a game, they are reducing game-size to a beginner level of 1-1.5k. They're also leaving time specifically for beginners. Beginners are the life-blood of this business. I hate 12year old snots in my gaming store, buying space marines and painting them with sharpie-markers or their fingers, but hey: they bring in the cash flow. Every WASPy soccer mom who drops $200 on figures at Christmas is just keeping GW in business. So even if the kid only plays for a few years, GW is still milking as much cash as possible out of the beginners, so of course they'll cater to them. Having beginners in the store means that the staff can keep making suggestions on models that veterans either already own, or know better than to buy. Often, vets and staffers are at odds- I'd never let a redshirt sell a promising youngster a Skaven army for example. It's just better to keep beginners in the store.

Finally, GW is at least trying to appease the older gamers. They have limited table-space, and their goal is to keep customers flowing in and out. Sound like a restaurant to you? It should. You can't just walk into a restaurant with your date and sit down at any table you like and start ordering. Often, you have to wait in line, or make a reservation. Same goes for GW stores.
    If you want to play lots of games, look for the other displaced gamers from your local GW, or even pick up some of the newbies, and start a local club. You might even be able to find one already. I never even go to GW stores- I give them my patronage by buying most of my models from their on-line department, but I don't show my face in their stores. For a few good reasons too:
    1- I don't like the brats
    2- I don't like the staff
    3- I have better places to find games
    4- pretty girls shop in malls too, and damnit I don't want to be seen playing armyman!

So, if you have a problem with this system, I ask that you take it into consideration. Perhaps try to find an alternative place to game, a shop or a club, or at your house. If you really are at wits end, then yes, sell your army so that other gamers can enjoy the models at their leisure.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

Or you could find your own space to game in. A large shed, bedroom or kitchen table what ever you can find. You just need to find a friend to game with and your away.

As for selling all your stuff out of spite seems abit much, i think you will be the only one hurt / annoyed by doing stuff like that.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

quitting the hobby definitely seems like you're spiting yourself

i would try to organize a club outside of the GW shop where all of the people you play with can instead take turns playing at each others houses

this is assuming the people you play with arent weirdos and you know that because you've already been gaming with them for a long time

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Don't you just love the sense of entitlement some people have? You had a good thing going for a while, rather than be angry that it has ended be glad you had it in the first place.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Don't you just love the sense of entitlement some people have? You had a good thing going for a while, rather than be angry that it has ended be glad you had it in the first place.
    Well you know what that say: It's better to have gamed and lost, than never to have gamed at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I have a distinct inability to talk to people under the age of 17 civilly.

I teamed up with a young fellow who i do know kinda well since i have been seeing him each week for nearly a year now in fantasy.
    I also snapped at him for his poor choice in army list, deployment and first turn strategies.

In return I got a huge yelling at from my 5 good mates for being a complete jerkoff.

Sure enough, at a later date, i apologised to the kid, and then had a game where i beat him good and proper, before giving him some advice on several tactics.
    I am currently at home instead of at my uni, and have heard from my 5 good mates that the kid has taken to heart what i taught him and is currently undefeated for 7 games.

I think that had i not treated him like a fellow gamer, instead treating him like some low level inferior device for keeping my favourite shop going, he probably wouldnt be a good player and may have quit. When i get back in a few weeks i'll play against him myself and see how much he's gotten better.

My point is that as a "veteran" (i hate this phrase. I've seen veteran's play awefully, who think that 20 years worth of play means they have the final say in everything, or just be generally rubbish at the game) I have a general level of respect from everyone who has only been playing for 3 weeks.
    In my local GW, i dont have to prebook. It's done by simple and sensible "who has played recently" type convo's.... or if people aren't getting a game, team ups and free-for-alls where appropriate.

I guess it depends how quickly you are cyling through new players. If your getting 1 a week, it becomes more difficult.
    If anyone believes on telekinesis, raise my hand!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I

I am not sure I follow the last post.

However, when it comes to GW, anything they can do that will enable them to continue to design and manufacture some of the best miniatures and miniature war games in the world is fine by me. Sure I enjoy veterans night down at my local store but I wouldn't get mad if that ended, I would try to start my own club, in fact I'm trying to get one going at the moment.

Young gamers really are the lifeblood of the business and if that means I have less time to paint at the store then so be it. I should also add that if you are a veteran who regularly purchases sizeable amounts from a store then you will find that you can usually get games or painting tables when and where you want. If the vets spent more cash than the young bloods then the balance would shift a little in their favour.

So I suppose the question becomes, how much are you spending each month in your local store? I'm worth about £100 a month to mine, more if there is a big release like war of the ring, the Stompa, the Baneblade, Spacehulk, oh pants, no wonder I have no money!

If you are spending a lot of money then you may well have a decent chat with the manager, if you are only spending maybe 25-50 a month on average, or perhaps even less, then I would expect some polite nodding and perhaps a mumbled "I'm sorry you feel that way".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Hi all.
    Sad time for gaming?NO WAY.
    Loads of great new companies starting up, (alot of EX GW staff donchanow,have branched out on thier own.)

As a gamer I am spoilt for the choice of great FREE to down load rules and exelent value for money minatures.

However if you are tied to gaming in a GW sore, and paying through the nose for the privaledge, then simply move on to the next stage.

Play at clubs/friends houses, buy the minatures you want ,and play the games you like best.

Happy Gaming .
    Lanrak.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast