Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
ok so i have many questions pertaining to my proposed crimson fists army, i just want to plan the most i can to get it looking the best it can.
keep in mind i am esentiall brand new when it comes to vanilla marines. my proposed army has kantor, 2 5 man squads of scouts, 3 10 man squads of sternguard in pods, 3 10 man squads of vanguard, and 3 whirlwinds (any hints here would be great as well). here is a link to my list.
in relation to sternguard;
1) i am looking to have just a combi melta and a combi plasma in a single ten man squad, is that possible within two boxes?
2) to optimize a drop podding sternguard squad what is a good loadout, and which bits will i need to use/buy to supplement the kit.
3) would i be better off with a box of sternguard and a box of tactical marines?
4)would i want to make the sternguard combat squads on dropping in, or should i keep them together, if i combat squad them would that change the unit load out, and if so what would that be?
5) i want a power-fist and a plasma pistol in a single 10 man squad, is that possible within two boxes?
6)to optimize a drop podding vanguard squad what is a good loadout, and which bits will i need to use/buy to supplement the kit.
7) would i be better off with a box of vanguard and a box of assault marines?
8 )are whirlwinds good on the field, if yes or no why or why not, try and keep my list idea in mind.
9 ) would i be better off with 2 whirlwinds and a vinicator, or a whirlwind a vindicator and a predetor, or should i have two devestator squads for the army?
10 ) keep in mind i am looking at having a fluffy crimson fists army, would devestators be better then whirlwinds, or a single whirlwind and then two devestator squads?
11 )are the shoulder pads removable or permenently attached to the arms of the sternguard and vanguard?
12) is there a website that has pictures of all the bits in the sets made by GW, i vaguely remember seeing one a while back but my search-fu is weak.
i think that is all my questions for now, thanks for all the help in advance.
i will post more questions if i get them, again thanks.
Vanguard are far too expensive to be worth it
BTW shouldn't this be in spess merhinez forum?
1) depends how many you would want in a squad... each box i believe comes with 1 combi plasma and 1 combi melta
5) you get 5 vanguards in a box, one comes with relic blade, the rest come with either chain sword and plasma pistol or powersword and bolt pistol
8-9) i personly find vindicators better than whirlwinds... by whirlwinds have there uses
11) the sternguard and vanguard veterans arms and bodys are cast in metal so no you can't remove the shoulder pads.
12) the games workshop website maybe?
Basically don't use them unsupported, make sure there's always something on hand to help out should your luck fail.
----------Your army is pretty light on the vehicles, so for that reason alone I'd be tempted to go a mix of Whirlwind and Devs.9) would i be better off with 2 whirlwinds and a vinicator, or a whirlwind a vindicator and a predetor, or should i have two devestator squads for the army?
Vindicators are ALWAYS vicious, so are worth taking but if your opponent has a lot of Anti Tank weapons, it'll die quickly alone. Some people recommending taking two for that reason alone, but it's expensive.
Predators imo are not worth taking, especially with the lack of other tanks in your army.
In summary, I'd probably go with 2-3 Whirlwinds and 0-1 Devs, as IIRC the Crimson Fist's fluff says they are short on manpower (so probably wouldn't put 3 of their few remaining dev squads on one mission)
The vanguards don't scatter an inch and heroic intervention into a expensive shooty unit and totally annihilate it, or when a squad of vanguards scatters half the map into a river, and most of them die in the impact, then the rest are shot to pieces... you gotta be lucky for them to be any good at all, my experiences with them are more similar to the second example.
and their points cost.