WH40K questions of sternguard, vanguard, and other things. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

questions of sternguard, vanguard, and other things.

ok so i have many questions pertaining to my proposed crimson fists army, i just want to plan the most i can to get it looking the best it can.

keep in mind i am esentiall brand new when it comes to vanilla marines. my proposed army has kantor, 2 5 man squads of scouts, 3 10 man squads of sternguard in pods, 3 10 man squads of vanguard, and 3 whirlwinds (any hints here would be great as well). here is a link to my list.

in relation to sternguard;

1) i am looking to have just a combi melta and a combi plasma in a single ten man squad, is that possible within two boxes?

2) to optimize a drop podding sternguard squad what is a good loadout, and which bits will i need to use/buy to supplement the kit.

3) would i be better off with a box of sternguard and a box of tactical marines?

4)would i want to make the sternguard combat squads on dropping in, or should i keep them together, if i combat squad them would that change the unit load out, and if so what would that be?

vanguard questions;

5) i want a power-fist and a plasma pistol in a single 10 man squad, is that possible within two boxes?

6)to optimize a drop podding vanguard squad what is a good loadout, and which bits will i need to use/buy to supplement the kit.

7) would i be better off with a box of vanguard and a box of assault marines?

whirlwind questions;

8 )are whirlwinds good on the field, if yes or no why or why not, try and keep my list idea in mind.

9 ) would i be better off with 2 whirlwinds and a vinicator, or a whirlwind a vindicator and a predetor, or should i have two devestator squads for the army?

10 ) keep in mind i am looking at having a fluffy crimson fists army, would devestators be better then whirlwinds, or a single whirlwind and then two devestator squads?

general questions;

11 )are the shoulder pads removable or permenently attached to the arms of the sternguard and vanguard?

12) is there a website that has pictures of all the bits in the sets made by GW, i vaguely remember seeing one a while back but my search-fu is weak.

i think that is all my questions for now, thanks for all the help in advance.

i will post more questions if i get them, again thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Vanguard are far too expensive to be worth it

BTW shouldn't this be in spess merhinez forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

1) depends how many you would want in a squad... each box i believe comes with 1 combi plasma and 1 combi melta

5) you get 5 vanguards in a box, one comes with relic blade, the rest come with either chain sword and plasma pistol or powersword and bolt pistol

8-9) i personly find vindicators better than whirlwinds... by whirlwinds have there uses

11) the sternguard and vanguard veterans arms and bodys are cast in metal so no you can't remove the shoulder pads.

12) the games workshop website maybe?
    ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooglatjama View Post
    ?
    I agree.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ooglatjama View Post
    My vanguard unit have earned their keep in 2 out of 3 games in our current tournament (and in the 3rd my luck was so bad that NOTHING earned it's keep!)

Basically don't use them unsupported, make sure there's always something on hand to help out should your luck fail.
    ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by chaplaincliff View Post
    are whirlwinds good on the field, if yes or no why or why not, try and keep my list idea in mind.
    Yes, because they're a massive pie plate that does S5 AP4 hits without needing LOS. Perfect for IG, Tau, 'nids and Eldar armies.
    9) would i be better off with 2 whirlwinds and a vinicator, or a whirlwind a vindicator and a predetor, or should i have two devestator squads for the army?
    Your army is pretty light on the vehicles, so for that reason alone I'd be tempted to go a mix of Whirlwind and Devs.
    Vindicators are ALWAYS vicious, so are worth taking but if your opponent has a lot of Anti Tank weapons, it'll die quickly alone. Some people recommending taking two for that reason alone, but it's expensive.
    Predators imo are not worth taking, especially with the lack of other tanks in your army.

In summary, I'd probably go with 2-3 Whirlwinds and 0-1 Devs, as IIRC the Crimson Fist's fluff says they are short on manpower (so probably wouldn't put 3 of their few remaining dev squads on one mission)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    My vanguard unit have earned their keep in 2 out of 3 games in our current tournament (and in the 3rd my luck was so bad that NOTHING earned it's keep!)

Basically don't use them unsupported, make sure there's always something on hand to help out should your luck fail.

Vanguard aren't incapable of killing, I've seen them kill the fair share. The problem with them is that they are very point heavy if you arm them to be that killy. You could afford a much better unit.

But if you like them and it is fluffy, then all power to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

The vanguards don't scatter an inch and heroic intervention into a expensive shooty unit and totally annihilate it, or when a squad of vanguards scatters half the map into a river, and most of them die in the impact, then the rest are shot to pieces... you gotta be lucky for them to be any good at all, my experiences with them are more similar to the second example.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sonoftheemperor View Post
    The vanguards don't scatter an inch and heroic intervention into a expensive shooty unit and totally annihilate it, or when a squad of vanguards scatters half the map into a river, and most of them die in the impact, then the rest are shot to pieces... you gotta be lucky for them to be any good at all, my experiences with them are more similar to the second example.
    Storm Shields - 15 points each, and give you a 3+ save against all guns, and any wounds caused by dangerous terrain. Suddenly, their survival rate just shot up...
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

and their points cost.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

If your Vanguard unit is cheap, you might as well take Assault Marines.
    My Deathwatch Campaign

+ Reply to Thread