Other Mini Photography - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mini Photography

Hi LO users,

I was trying to take some photo's of my orks today, I'm very keen to put my painting out there for comments and critique.

I discoverd however, that my camera is simply not up to the job. I mucked around with some macro settings, tried with and without flash. what ever I did I couldn't seem to get a clear image. Its a pretty cheap digital camera which I have been meaning to upgrade for a while and with this turn of events the likelyhood of an upgrade is rather high.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to the camera they use to take decent shots of thier mini's and what people would say is the minimum mega pixel quality that is required. I know that a digital SLR would be the ultimate way to go but I am interested in what an "entry level" camera would be that still produces good mini shots.

Also if anyone has any other miniature photgraphy tips that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I know there are one or two tutorials some of our members have put up on this site that may help... I'll see if I can dig them up for you...

Okay, I can only find one... It's a guide by Minus -t, and seems to use a point and shoot rather effectively.

Miniature Photography Tutorial

Personally I've begun to use a Digital SLR, but I'm still learning how to get the best use out of it. I probably need to get myself a decent light, which may also be your problem. A lot of cameras won't focus very well in poor light, so if you can get more light it might make things easier.

Also, if you have a bit of spare time on your hands, you may want to have a go at something like this; $10 DIY Macro Studio (Not a Librarium Online link, just so you know.) Again, it recommends a bright lamp, so there's really no getting around that issue!

See if any of that helps; I'll be curious to see how you go! Happy Snapping!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Yes, minus -t's tutorial is brilliant. It does help understand how to take minature photos. If it does not work, then only a new camera will!
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Being a photographer, although be it still life, I find you just need to set it for macro and take the shot about 6-12" away (works for me) if that doesn't work than exposure could be your problem and that really depends on how light or how dark the room is that your taking the photo. Because you can tell a digital camera to add or sucstract to the exposure.Also, my digital doesn't have this setting, but the one I use for work has a macro and micro Which allows me to get some amazing detail shots. That's about all I can say here.

GH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I checked out minus T's guide and it seems very helpfull. I set up a little area with the paper and light and all that, then batteries on the camera died. hahaha I'll get some more later on today then give it another go. report back soon

cheers for the tips everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

succes

I did it, thanks to minus T's imensly helpfull guide.

here are some pics of one of my unfinished loota's. I still have the skin to finish and the teeth and eyes and all that.

andrew1 003.jpg andrew1 004.jpg

so thanks everyone for leading me in the right direction.

cheers, heaps more pics of stuff to come in the painting forums

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by AusOrk View Post
    I set up a little area with the paper and light and all that, then batteries on the camera died.
    Ha! There's always one thing you don't count on!

Good to see you got everything working in the end, though!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

The photos look great. The blue looks excellent, can't wait to see more finished pics!
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Very nice photos! It seems you are the natural photographer
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My one tip is: Stand as far back as you can so that a crop will be approximately the size for distribution. If you are taking photos for distributing on the net, you typically want 640x480 resolution (directly on a page)

Let's say your camera takes pictures at about 3000x1920 (or something in that area), Then your minature could cover about 1/4 of the frame (width and height). You crop away the blank space and fixes the colors like the tutorial said. This is to get as much depth as possible in the picture and minimize the blurry front and back areas. (Like demonstrated in the tutorial linked)

Personally, I use a Nikon D200 with 200 zoom and stand as far away as possible to avoid the blurry areas in the front and back that is typical for model picture taking.

Sorry if this was a bit unclear, but I really should be doing some "useful" stuff now
    Hit eit steg
    og dit eit steg.
    Så vandrar vi fram på skuleveg.
    - An old viking war chant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast