WHFB best non bretonion cavalry army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which cavalry army

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wood Elves

1 4.55%
  • Dark Elves

0 0%
  • High elves

1 4.55%
  • Warriors of chaos

11 50.00%
  • Empire

4 18.18%
  • Vampire Counts

3 13.64%
  • Tomb Kings

2 9.09%
  • Orcs and goblins

1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

best non bretonion cavalry army

Looking for thoughts on the best cavalry army. Which army and why.
    ----------
    I voted for warriors of chaos. The chaos knights are simply nails and with marauder horsemen and marks of chaos, the lists can have a real good versatillity.
    ----------
    Compltely forgot Orc and Goblins but dont know how to edit poll?

Tyranids 7-8-4
    Dark eldar- 3-4-0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Lizardmen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

The poll is to help me decide on a shortlist of possible cavalry force and lizardmen werent on my list.
    Tyranids 7-8-4
    Dark eldar- 3-4-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Never played a cavalry list, but off the top of my head, High Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Dark Elves I would think of as some of the best.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

How about tomb kings they can have a massive number of mounted troops on the table.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Tomb King cavalry, is a little lacking, can look awesome, but they trundle like nags and overall have a mildly frustrating factor like a particularly stubborn mule that didn't like how you approached it while it was having a nice nibble on some grass and has decided that as you are the wrong angle to kick in the face it just won't move... ever.

Dark elves can have interesting cavalry as a mass cavalry army as long as you do not mind your special troop choices standing and drooling for a good portion of what should have been a movement phase.

Wood elves can have fun cavalry and can be incredibly swift and harrass your friends and enemies mercilessly as long as they don't recieve a sharp, swift swat on the bonce or indeed other notible part of their poorly armoured anatomy by blade, arrow or spell.

Orcs and Goblins I have no clue, we have left the realm of what I have played Empire, again I have not a clue, Vampires look pretty horrific but I don't recall any core choices that can fulfill a cavalry role? High Elves can be pretty shiny arrayed in four legged glory, but have only had small play-fights against them that usually resulted with me and my friend instead resorting to water pistols or cushion fights.

Warriors of Chaos though, ate my babies, seriously. They mowed me down like an indecisive pedestrian jaywalking down what is normally a quiet street. Mark of Khorne and Mark of Nurgle gave me the back of the hand so many times whilst fighting my Dark Elves and Wood Elves... It was a painful, painful thing to behold, my poor squishy elves! They were not meant to suffer so!

Superflat Monogram Sayomi Akimoto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x1)

For an non-Bretonian all cavalry army, I'd say Hordes of Chaos, followed by The Empire.

Whilst Hordes of Chaos have already been expanded upon, I'll look at the pros of The Empire.

Its core cav, the standard knight has a pretty cool 1+ save. Otherwise, they're pretty ineffective as a cavalry choice because they lack the cool lance formation that allows for an exceptional number of attacks and rank bonus, or the sheer killing power of Marauders and Chosen on horses. Really, I'd take the minimum number of core choices, bump them up to reasonable numbers and leave them at that. They're not exceptional, nor are they complete crap.

The special choices of the Empire on the other hand are what make the cav list for Empire possible. Knights of the Inner Circle are obviously only a slight bump in the right direction; a measily +1 to strength isn't all that great for an elite form of cav compared to most other groups. Rather, here Pistoliers are where it's at. Fast cavalry with a brace of pistols means a lot of shooting, fleeing and setting up for your standard knights for a flank charge and the like.

For the Rare, we only have the STank. Questionable, but obviously potent.

For Heroes we get a cool Captain on a Pegasus for some harrassing anti-magic and Warrior Priests that enhance the knights.

For Lords, it's a gigantic toss up between the Arch Lector or the Grand Master. With the Laurels, the Grand Master can absolutely dominate, whilst the Arc Lector on the War Alter gives quite a lot of bang for your buck. Or you can just be a prick and take Karl Franz on the Dragon and be done with it.

The Empire Cav army, like the standard Cav army, is the thinking man's army. In order to get the maximum usage out of them, you'll have to bait and set traps with your pistoliers and minimum sized knight regiments so your larger normal knights regiments and Inner Circle knights can get rear and flank charges. It would be highly beneficial to at least bring a few regiments of ranged troops, as Empire Cav on its on just doesn't do enough without whittling everything down. Granted, that's pretty much how the Empire works, though.

But, competing heavily for third place with Empire are the Elves, all three of varieties, as they're elves. And as everyone knows, elves have to be good at everything except taking hits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

A drawback of the High Elves in this area, which I of course failed to mention before, is the lack of a core cavalry choice (I haven't upgraded to the new book yet, my HE are on the backburner). You would have to take some kind of infantry. Two minimum units of archers or something.

+ Reply to Thread