Other Feedback on GW spray gun needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Feedback on GW spray gun needed

Hi guys,

To get to the point, I'm in the need for some experienced and no-nonse views on the GW spray gun. the reason is that I've been recently doing a mural at a friend's house and my airbrush is a bit out of it's league when trying to paint a half square meter in the same colour. the paint dries and clogs the head when not even halfway through, resulting in a maddening amount of cleaning between painting.
    Even with the needle pulled entirely back, it's still too much to handle comfortably...

I'm also about to start painting the Space Hulk mini's and I'd like to under- and base coat them with the airbrush to save time but I fear I'll run in the same time/dryout issue as with paining the large surface.

It seems to me that the GW paint gun might be a good candidate for large scale/quantity undercoating and basecoating. And also it's something that's easily found and bought, something not to be underestimated.

Sooo, who of you guys has it, or has had some experience with the GW gun, does it suit your needs, would it suit my needs? Easy to clean, easy to handle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Any airgun that uses a can of compressed air isn't worth bothering with imo. I bought one, and it struggles to paint a single 2'x2' section of game board.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

What?! You can't connect that thing to a compressor? :-O

That's.. that's...that's like a car that runs on coal...

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Indeed, it runs on compressed air (and those GW cans sell for a pretty penny) and I'm fairly (but not completely) certain that you can't hook a compressor up to it. It does get fairly good coverage though and is of decent quality, but the canned air is not nearly long lasting enough.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

240 (x4)

By the beard of Beëlzebub! I need confirmation on this. That would just too evil a marketing ploy if you can't attach it to a compressor and if you have to buy the compressed air cans made by GW, probably with an exotic valve size and special gas that's probably made by hand-squeezing flatulent puppies and kittens...

I spent 80EUR on a new compressor last year that will last me a lifetime, no way I'm going to cough up anything for unnecessary and evil-intentioned GW stuff...

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

So after reading a few different forums on the tubes, there are reports of people hooking the spray gun up to a compressor. Quite a few are saying it requires some sort of adaptor (because the GW one appears to be non-standard, surprise!). Haven't yet found confirmed or screenshotted reports of this though.

That's all I managed to get from some googling. Your mileage may vary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cans are expensive as noted. Also, it seems that it can be hooked up to a compressor provided you happen to the perfect adapter or the compressor comes with the small airbrush plug already on it.

I saw one in the store last week and I think they feel cheap honestly.

Check out this guys review. It's old but it's the same product.

If you have all the crap already for airbrushing why not just spend the extra 10 or so and get a Badger or Aztek.

The Non-model/rules part of GWs products are cheap and over priced in my opinion.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: The guy at the store I was at last week said it uses the same connector as the Badger Line of airbrushes ( Specifically the Badger 150 ) and this thread I just saw confirmed it.
    Last edited by Sinister Brain; September 28th, 2009 at 15:04.
    "If all else fails: duck. As a defensive stratagem it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a moment or two." - Lord Corvis of Petrax

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

240 (x4)

Hmmm, good, then it seems I'll be able to connect it to my compressor. I've got loads of different connector's and any kind of conversion connector is availabler on the net. Worst case it'll take some searching.

About the quality, I'm not exactly expecting premium quality but as long as it allows a decent coating without too much 'spit' drops of paint flying everywhere I'll be satisfied, it seems the price isn't that high either.

So thanks a bunch for the replies guys. Anyone else with some hands-on experience with it is mooore than welcome to post here. I'm still curious about first-hand feedback from the community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely check out the review I linked in my previous post. The guy goes over coverage a bit.

Cheers
    "If all else fails: duck. As a defensive stratagem it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a moment or two." - Lord Corvis of Petrax

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

240 (x4)

Indeed a nice review, cheers mate.

I also noticed that in one of the replies a guy attached it to a compressor. I think I'll go ahead and buy one, it's not that expensive and looks a lot easier to clean as my normal airbrush. For the long and dirty work it seems an easier solution compared to having to clean an airbrush after not even 5 minutes of spraying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast