WHFB Are the LotR miniatures the same size as WHFB? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the LotR miniatures the same size as WHFB?

The reason I ask is LotR is a simple dumbed down game that is clearly dying. In my local game club where more than 60 40k and WHFB players come and play weekly there is not a single LotR player.

Heck at my local club more people play Battlefleet Gothic (3-6ppl) than LotR and that's OOP.

However, the miniatures for LotR are very very good. Esp. the Elf army figures are MUCH better than the High Elf spearmen for WHFB. I am planning to replace my spearmen with the Elf spearmen they have for LotR. However are the minis still 28" ? Are they the same scale?

Also if I replace my "official" WHFB figures with LotR Elf spearmen, etc will I be allowed to play in any WHFB tournaments where I would only be able to use "official" HE figures instead of any proxies etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

LOTR are much smaller than WHFB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

The LotR miniatures are a slightly smaller scale than WFB miniatures. This makes most units difficult to pass as WFB miniatures. I do, however, use a couple of the Eowyn miniatures in my Bretonnian army, and they do nicely. Knights, however, would be too small compared to the WFB Knights.

As to your tournament question, you'll need to talk to individual organizers to get their rulings as to whether you'd get to use LotR miniatures. I wish you the best of luck!

Tekore

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x5)

Lotr minis are smaller but not to much there 25mm so only 3mm smaller to warhammer scale, Depends what modals you want to use.

You shouldn't have a problem using lotr elves over whfb elves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

A guy in my FLGS uses them in his High Elf army and they look ASS. They're completely the wrong scale and style. And I don't think it's tournament legal, either - GW is iffy with LOTR in 40k/fantasy - IP reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Izzinatah View Post
    A guy in my FLGS uses them in his High Elf army and they look ASS. They're completely the wrong scale and style. And I don't think it's tournament legal, either - GW is iffy with LOTR in 40k/fantasy - IP reasons.
    Really? How do they look that terrible? Weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

The problem is, that they may only be 3mm smaller, but if you scale that to the rest of the model, then you will end up with an army of elves with smaller hands, facial features and weapons,

While this won't "look ASS" it will make your army look a bit odd on the table, especially when fighting another similar army (high elves/dark elves) using FB models.

Another problem is base size, you may place a Lotr model on what you think is a fine sized base and an opponent especially at a tourney may take you to task on it.

for fun gaming against friends or even in store it should be fine, but for tourneys its probably best to use all FB models to avoid being confronted like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

I can`t see too much use of them because they look odd when they are mixed with WHFB and not just because the size but the style of the miniatures. Their body (shape) formed differently as well.
    I use only one, a Frodo as my CSM Sorcerors familiar because he is perfect as a "twisted dwarfish mutant".

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

The LotR models are far smaller. The problem isn't that they're 25mm, it's that the Warhammer miniatures are only 'roughly' 28mm.

I don't know if GW did this intentionally, to avoid intermixing ranges, or if their sculptors did it as a stylistic choice, but Warhammer models have larger-than-scale heads, hands, and other features. This is somewhat artistically technical, but simplified- Warhammer models are in 'heroic scale'. Most other sculptors make their models closer to true scale, which is why it is so easy to tell 3rd-party models apart from actual Citadel models.

Secondly, no official GW tournament will allow you to use LotR miniatures or even pieces of miniatures, alongside Fantasy models. This is part of the horrible contract that GW entered in to with NewLine.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

LotR miniatures use a slighlty different height scale and are also in realistic proportions while 40k and fantasy use 'heroic proportions' which have larger heads and hands in relation to actual scale.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast