Librarium Online Forums banner

Do you get mocked for your hobby?

9K views 130 replies 70 participants last post by  Digger 
#1 ·
This subject was brought up on another forum and I thought it would be interesting to see what people here thought. A few fellow players I've spoken to seem resigned to the fact that their parents and friends -- or if they're older, partners and colleagues -- don't understand and generally make fun of the hobby. In some cases, light-hearted joking becomes outright disrespect and bullying. Some feel quite maligned by their peers and I wonder why that is and how people feel about it.

My long term girlfriend thinks it's "geeky but cute" and will happily sit and watch a soap on TV while me and a mate bash out a game of Space Hulk on the floor. She enjoys looking at figures I've painted but other than that, she doesn't have one bit of interest in it. But at the same time, she knows that I do and respects that. Of course, I've got my fair share of mates who think painting toy soldiers is the most retarded thing ever, but they accept that that's part of who I am. We're all geeky in our own way and everyone has hobbies, no?

I think part of the problem is the classic stereotype; unwashed, socially awkward, metal listening nerd who plays D&D and Warhammer, crowding around FLGS tables rolling dice. On one hand, I can't say I really fit that stereotype (I love D&D, but can't stand metal -- I'm a massive hip hop fan though) but from my experience in my local GW I can definitely say that others do! Which is fair enough, but sometimes when I'm there checking out new releases I almost can't help but think, "Guys, you really don't help yourselves."

It's really quite unfair to criticise, happiness is of course relative but I wonder if the mockery so frequently directed at Warhammer players is because of how the hobby is perceived, or are we contributing to that negative perception?

Discuss.

See less See more
#2 ·
I get minimal grief, and if I do I happily point out their geeky hobby - be it football, F1, whatever (and yes, knowing how many goals player X scored for team Y in year Z is very geeky, however they like to dress it up).

Of course it helps that I am (incredibly) arrogant in myself, and also damn proud of being a geek. We're going to inherit the earth :)

But some players don't help themselves. Take pride in your appearance, and I don't mean wearing a wotsit smeared Star Wars t-shirt that you've had since 1984.

#5 ·
Of course it helps that I am (incredibly) arrogant in myself, and also damn proud of being a geek. We're going to inherit the earth :)
I think you're getting confused with the 'meek' there. :pray:

I've never been mocked for the hobby though that is probably because of the company I keep. I do however get questioned about why I do it a lot and the biggest problem people seem to have is after they have asked how much it costs.

#3 ·
This question has been debated countless times before, and I think that it will always remain unanswered.
When I got into the game, my dad didn't really understand it, and he railed against it. It's not a sport, and he wanted me to be an athlete. He had had bad experiences involving some of his junior officers who were caught playing D&D alongside drug-use, and he didn't hold Warhammer to be far apart from that.
My family sort of tolerates my hobby, although they're quick to yell at me for "living in fantasyland" or telling me that not everything in life is a game. They don't like buying me things for the hobby because they're all hoping that I'll eventually just grow out of it. I think that's pretty standard for all gamers though. Nobody really wants to feed our addiction, nevermind pay so much for so little.
My current girlfriend is really cool about the whole idea. She's into fantasy and dragons and the likes, so I showed her my HE Dragonmage and she fell in love with the models. She doesn't want to learn to the play the game or anything, but she enjoys watching my friends and I play, because she says it's cute to see 20-somethings playing armymen like they were 6. Oh well- we'll probably never understand eachother :dance:

[I'll be back after class to explain why gamers are usually so maligned. Suffice to say, here's a preview: It's largely their own fault]

#4 ·
This has come up quite a lot on the forums here in the past, but I'll let this go because I think it's a good topic that bears revisiting from time to time. Think of it as "nerd therapy."

My Take: When it comes to the negative reaction from one's peers, I think there are two factors at work here: The sci-fi angle and the "obsessive" angle. Regarding sci-fi, well, I think sci-fi fans have to have an interest in intellectual pursuits and explorative "what if" questions. I think many people are turned off by this because it takes them too far away from reality. In fairness, I think it is unhealthy to live in a sci-fi/fantasy world, eschewing the real world entirely(more below). Even those who don't mind exploring fiction's impact on and reflection of our current life and times are often turned off by the imagery. There are people who can't stand ray guns, aliens and sword & sorcery stories, but are perfectly fine immersing themselves in a love story set in Victorian England, and both genres have unique and valid ways of telling stories and expressing opinions. In short, some of us are wired for sci-fi, and some aren't.

Regarding the "obsession" factor, well, I can't help but think the non-geeks have a bit of a point here, but before you all decapitate me with your neon-colored plastic lightsabers, hear me out. If 90 percent of your wardrobe consists of t-shirts emblazoned with alien race logos, phrases in Klingon (which you can translate), or phrases like "I brake for Droids," then, I'm sorry to say, you may have a problem. Ditto if you hang a 1/5 scale X-Wing fighter in your living room, or can't find a coffee mug in your entire kitchen that doesn't have something sci-fi on it. Ditto if you simply can't resist going to every single sci-fi convention that comes to town (and some that are out of town) dressed up in that awesome Sontaran uniform (complete with helmet) you got for a song on Ebay.

HOWEVER... obsession over pop-culture items is not germaine to sci-fi. I would look equally askance at anyone who, once October rolls around, simply feels naked coming to work WITHOUT wearing their New England Patriots jersey, or hangs their autographed picture of David Beckham in the bathroom, or doesn't mind being seen on national television in the front row at the football game in -10 degree weather wearing no shirt and showing off a torso painted blue.

In short, our hobbies are fun, but we should never forget that not everyone will share our obsession, and that's not a bad thing. "Other" people remind us that there's air and light out there, and that we should get plenty of that, too. If you want to have a small collection of sci-fi books, DVDs or other memorabilia in a room or one one shelf in the back of the house somewhere, and have maybe 2-3 t-shirts in your dresser like that for those days when you're just in the mood, that's one thing. Any crazier than that, and us geeks must expect to drive others away, or worse, attract the wrong kind of attention.

My long term girlfriend thinks it's "geeky but cute" and will happily sit and watch a soap on TV while me and a mate bash out a game of Space Hulk on the floor. She enjoys looking at figures I've painted but other than that, she doesn't have one bit of interest in it. But at the same time, she knows that I do and respects that. Of course, I've got my fair share of mates who think painting toy soldiers is the most retarded thing ever, but they accept that that's part of who I am. We're all geeky in our own way and everyone has hobbies, no?
Now this is exactly the approach one must take, and really it's the most we can expect from anyone who's not a sci-fi fan. In short, if your friends, girlfriend/boyfriend, spouse, or family are so out of touch with you and your interests that you feel ashamed in front of them, that's not right. It's possible for them to respect your interests, even if they don't share them. If they don't offer you respect, they deserve none back.

#6 ·
To put my statements into perspective: I'm 21, unemployed(circuit city, boohoo) I live away from my "Home" with my girlfriend who I've been with for 2 years.

My friends are largely un-open to the subject of warhammer but mostly because they feel the need to paint the pieces is "dumb". I wouldn't say they make fun of me for it but they should be more understanding than they are considering the amount of time they spend playing MMOs and Magic: the Gathering.

My Girlfriend who lives with me actually builds her own army of eldar but, she is no where near as into the game, the hobby and the universe as I am. She likes it from a board game perspective which coincidently means space hulk is a big hit with her.

I've told my mother and my father about my hobby and because I've been unemployed for a while since being laid off they don't mock it and think it's a constructive use of my overload on time.

One thing I have noticed is that I don't like to bring it up or mention it to certain peope(my brother and a few of my less geek friends) because I know the stigma it hold. A stigma even I held agaisit it before I started playing.

On the flip-side, I hate and dispise and am almost unfriendly to other players of the game who DO fit the stereotype of: Fat, pony tail, DnD playing, Metal listening and t-shirt wearing, BO smelling obssesive slob. I can't help but think, is it so hard to shower before you come to the club? Is it so hard to not eat pizza every night(I can attest that this is hard to do though!)? And is it so hard to just make yourself presentable to the world so that people don't have to be uncomfortable around you? It's the same feeling i get around "thugs". People don't walk like that naturally.. you went out of your way to try to train your body so you walk "cool". I'm in no way uptight or look down on people who don't "conform" I just can't stand it when I see a living archetype.

I digress. It's unfortunate the stigma it holds and generally speaking I have noticed that it is usually not something that is warmly welcome. But, I personally have had good luck with it besides a few situations. Also, I have noticed that despite there not being much mockery directed towards me I can't help but feel embarassed for the amount of time I spend thinking and being active in the hobby (how long have I been registered but I've stoled the 100% activity award..). I feel part of this is due to the fact that there are not many people that play around here and I spend most of my time either playing my girlfriend or just reading about it rather than having actual games, it makes me feel like something being so elusive probaby means I shouldn't be doing it! It's a bummer. It's almost like a horror movie when they see the little girl that they just can't catch up to.. only in my case it doesn't end it murder and the little girl is actually another warhammer player. Which is odd in itself because my gaming store has a huge warhammer selection but, I swear no one plays it.

In short: It is generally mocked by the uninitiated but, I myself have been lucky in avoiding it because of understanding people around me.

Talk about a wall of text thread.

#95 ·
On the flip-side, I hate and dispise and am almost unfriendly to other players of the game who DO fit the stereotype of: Fat, pony tail, DnD playing, Metal listening and t-shirt wearing, BO smelling obssesive slob. I can't help but think, is it so hard to shower before you come to the club?
Haha, you know who you just described?

Quite frankly, it's not "normal", as in, fitting the norm. But hey, the norm can go sod itself. Who cares, as long as it keeps us amused.
I used to care about being normal, but then I wondered who defined what this "normal" concept is.

I started a thread similar to this a while back, about where the stereotypes come from. In the end, a couple of people got offended and the thread began to repeat itself and there was no real conclusion to it. I think part of the problem is that there's little way to distinguish Warhammer nerds and WoW, RPG, computer, political or whatever nerds, aside from that Warhammer nerds need executive salaries to support their hobby. While stereotypes are very dangerous, they do tend to exist for a reason (Exhibit A) and provide an air of familiarity for people. You'll find that few people will actually properly adhere to their provided stereotype, but said characteristics will often be the most common in a pool of "nerds" (especially when combined with said distinguishability earlier).

In my experience, yes I have been mocked for it in the past, but a simple response of "well what do you spend your money on?", especially to a particularly fashion-conscious girl, tends to shut them up pretty well. As long as you don't show up to an exam in LARP gear, there's rarely a huge problem with it. People come to respect it on their own terms, and if not, there isn't a huge need to hang around them anyway, because they're probably a complete prick who has no real life and tries to fill that by making fun of others (in which case you won't be the only one who gets mocked for your interests) or they have something just as sad/geeky/childish in their lives but they wouldn't be seen dead with it.

#7 ·
Whatever profession or hobby you have, you'll be branded with a stereotype by others, it's as simple as that.

My opinion is that the fans do contribute to the negative perception of GW and it's games,
I can't even walk into a Games Workshop half the time because of all the geeks/nerds that infest it, and the employee's sometimes don't help fight that impression.

It's fun for a typical guy to have a 'geek' side, but to be a geek is just not attractive. I mean honestly is anyone here attracted by someone who is consumed only in a personal interest and nothing else?

I doubt it.

#8 ·
I don't hide my hobby from my friends and classmates, they all know I play and i've never had any grief at all. In fact, other usually more withdrawn gamers have come to me and asked for a game, because they know I play.

the most I have had from my friends is
"so you play warhammer?"
"yeah"
"cool can I see your models? Thats a pretty neat dinosaur!"
"its a stegadon but yeah, they're basically the same thing, pub now?"

end of.

#9 ·
Kelter Skelter, I have to completely agree on many points. I no longer, and have not for many years, played games down at my local club/store for precisely this reason. Many of the players there are just that, walking talking stereotypes, and it makes me for one feel uncomfortable hanging out there because they make it very difficult to interact. That's not to say they're all unwashed, geeky slobs - no, some are just very socially awkward, difficult to interact with, know-it-all rules lawyers, etc. You get the idea.

There have been times where I've almost been made to feel unwelcome. I feel that sometimes the GW player community is almost too closed for it's own good. I shouldn't have to feel looked down on because I happen to play Warhammer and wear trendy clothes, nor feel embarrassed walking into a GW to pick up some paints with my girlfriend, but sometimes I can't help but.

Getting my own place and building a gaming table with some mates in the garage was the best thing I ever did, hobbywise. Having a close circle of friends also interested in the hobby is a blessing I sometimes take for granted!

#10 ·
I don't get any grief for the hobby, at least none that isn't good natured. I'm also clean cut, in decent shape, and social. I live in the North Carolina Research Triangle, and the people I play with don't live up to the stereotypes. If you do live up to the stereotypes, expect to take some guff from people, whether it be about the hobby or not.

Tekore

#11 ·
I never really mention it to people, unless asked, I don't really find a point in bringing it up in the middle of a conversation, but if someone asks me what I enjoy doing outside of work, or what i do in my free time or hobbies, then I'll bring it up, most people I've told think it's kinda cool, but aren't really interested, but I'll show them a model I've painted and they'll go ape s@@t over how well, or how well they think it's painted.

My dad will usually tell people what I do, and recently I think he has come to respect the hobby I have, rather just put it on the back burner and ignore that I do it completely, and my brother and sister don't really talk about it at all, and same with my mom, but she likes what I do.

It's funny going to my store, as it's in a model, and you get the occasional person who walks by and screams out "nerd, or "gay", and I'll just walk out, and start picking them apart, telling them how there losers, and to come back here and try to say it to my face, they don't even have the guts to come back and just keep walking, a few of them have turned around, but after seeing me quickly turn around and walk away again, lol.

But whatever, to each his own, if war gaming is your thing then it's your thing, if you like religion, hunting, golfing, sports, making little wacky videos on your computer to post on youtube, then that's you thing, and if makes you happy keep doing it, just don't let hobbies take over your life I say.

#12 ·
Quite frankly, it's not "normal", as in, fitting the norm. But hey, the norm can go sod itself. Who cares, as long as it keeps us amused.

I've been a nerd for a long time and a warhammer fanboi for quite some time, and sure, you'll get scorned by some, but i don't care, i guess i'm too old to care, hell, i even brought some models to work today for a little show and tell.

The sad truth is, tell people you're into motorracing, and you're cool, tell them you paint miniature war dollies and you're a nerd. It's kinda how you play the part i suppose: wear old clothes, nerdy glasses and have a "once-per-month" shower routine, you're gonna be left out anyways. Wanna fit in and still play warhammer, then just be open about it and have a "whatever" attitude about it.

But i think it's fine if you wanna avoid a fuss and never mention it. I just say, f*** it.

#13 ·
I would get mocked, If I told anyone ;)

Nah, anyone who mocks you for what you're into can sod off, many of my non-warhammer playing mates know i'm into it, and they're cool about it, They're not interested, but they don't care.

I think its to do with first impressions, I became good friends with them and then they found out, If I told them I did warhammer stright up, I probably wouldn't be friends with them

#14 ·
I do agree that it's somewhat unfair that some interests, like watching sports, is so "mainstream" that if you tell people that you like to spend your Saturday afternoons catching the game at the pub or on your couch, no one thinks twice about it, but if you say you like to spend your Saturday afternoons playing 40k you get funny looks.

I suppose there IS a juvenile element to it, which is more of an issue for someone my age (36) than younger people perhaps. Then again, everybody has a little kid in them in some way. Mine just happens to involve little plastic and metal men. And video games, especially Dawn of War lately :D

It's easy to get bitter when you think of how unfair it can be, but hey, not everyone can have a mainstream interest, and we gotta just take comfort in the idea that we're not "cookie cutter" people who spend our spare time just like 90 percent of the rest of the world.

#15 · (Edited)
Lucky one... or unlucky?

I am unlucky enough to be from a country where an AoBR box is a full weekly wage so if You had enough money to buy "toys" like this... noone cares if You used to listen Metal and roll dice :)
"I collect miniatures..."
"What?"
"Plastic soldiers"
"Oh :O "
"£2 pound each (for example), I have 66"
"Wow... :D "
"This tank was £20... but I am finished the collectimg for awhile..."
"Twenty? And You`ve finished... That`s awesome :kissing: "
Not really happens like this, but the hobby rather give You the confidency that You can buy clothing or jewelry anytime when You want or have to... :p

Also the most people has no idea what it is all about.

#16 ·
I must say I guess I am rather fortunate in this area, as I am in high school and have almost never gotten any actual crap about playing GW games. But I think this is the reason why, as touched on before. I do play GW games and LOVEEEE SW and LotR, but I am also the captain of our schools lacrosse team for two years running, was a varsity wrestler since my freshmen year in high school, and work out every day of the week.

So yes, I am horribly nerdy, my friends and I have gone out to my old elementary school at 2 AM(legal?) with foamcore swords and beat the crap out of each other. But is that all I am? No. Not in the slightest bit. I think you need to portray everything you are instead of just that one area.

#17 ·
i dont usually tell people im into warhammer, i have had responses like "i thought only nerds with glasses do that kind of stuff". Some are, some are not. (although i must add some of the players really fit the prototype xD)

Anyway i have been in this stuff for most my life so i dont know any different...

And i dont think you guys are geeks! You are Ace
gimme a hug please

#19 ·
Well, I didn't need to go back and edit my post after all. Most of you guys already covered my thoughts exactly. In fact, Shadowblade got the vast majority of it.
The fact of the matter is, WH players tend to become very one dimensional. You can rant and rave and say that you're not, that you love LotR, SW, Lovecraft, and Warhammer besides, but really, we have a tendency to get stuck on just Sci-Fi/Fantasy as a livelihood.
Homework assignment: go to your book case (you DO have one right?) find the proportion of 'books relating to Warhammer' to 'other books'.
I know that for a friend of mine, BL is all that he reads. It's not that he's a nerd for reading, it's the fact that he's even missing out OTHER great 'Nerd' literature. Even if he'd read 'Dracula' he could probably hold a conversation with more people than if he read 'Horus Heresy'.

Since we get so pigeon-holed and one-dimensional, we're just boring people and easy to pick on. I know that if I walk up to someone who's very into their religion and start making fun of it, they'll get mad. Likewise, any sports fan will get mad if I needle their favorite team- assuming they LIVE for that team. We're easy targets, and admit it: we're usually the scrawny, insecure guy who won't defend himself. Not all of us. Just the stereotypical ones.

Maybe if you're being ridiculed, you should take a step back and ask yourself why you're being ridiculed. First off, ask yourself how they knew that you were a gamer. If it's because you're wearing an official "Lucky 13" GW shirt, there's your answer! If it's because you were rattling off statistics and strategies with your friends while standing around the office watercooler- you should probably stop. If it's because you introduced yourself and then started trying to sell them on the game, or show them your latest modeling project- bad social skills. Maybe they're just picking on you because you smell bad- showers are good.
The trick is to make sure that you stay multidimensional. I'm equally at home talking about the normal "college/teen" stuff: cars, girls, parties, music. I can have friends and nobody ever has to know that I play Warhammer. Most of my close friends DO know, but they respect me all the same.

Just like Busta, I DO avoid playing in a mall setting. I don't like getting "zOMG Terrorist" looks when I'm carrying my case of models, and I don't like it when the cute 'Hollister-Babies' from 3 stores down walk by and make a mental note of which guys NOT to pay attention to at school the next day haha. That, and I always feel like the age difference between the 12yo SMurf-#$$# and the 40yo veterans/lurkers is just a little creepy. So I play at home or at the local RT.

Just remember kids:
A shower can substitute sleep
Food can substitute sleep
But sleep and food can NOT substitute for a shower

#35 ·
It's been really interesting reading everyone's opinions here, thanks a lot for posting.

The fact of the matter is, WH players tend to become very one dimensional. You can rant and rave and say that you're not, that you love LotR, SW, Lovecraft, and Warhammer besides, but really, we have a tendency to get stuck on just Sci-Fi/Fantasy as a livelihood.
It's sad but this is very true. Not all of us mind (as this thread has shown), but I definitely know some people like this. These also happen to be the people who moan that they get picked on for this hobby.
The trick is to make sure that you stay multidimensional. I'm equally at home talking about the normal "college/teen" stuff: cars, girls, parties, music. I can have friends and nobody ever has to know that I play Warhammer.
I agree to some extent. While it can be helpful to 'limit' your knowledge or interest in the hobby in a social setting, I don't think that's the answer. Nobody should have to hide who they are, but at the same time they need to make an effort to be approachable. Social conventions exist and people conform to them for a reason, but there's no need to stop being a unique individual.

I spose its interesting to note that we haven't heard from any of these 'steroetypical' geeks. I agree that your hobby shouldn't get in the way of personal hygiene, but beyond that its really not for anyone to judge how they live their life. It might be slightly anti-social to only have one interest, but you can't persuade people to have more, people are saying there's more to life than fantasy but if that other stuff doesn't interest you it isn't really a free choice and therefore you shouldn't be maligned because of it. I guess that could be some kind of nurture/nature argument, whether people do choose their personality or are born with it.
No, we shouldn't judge how people live their lives but at the same time you almost forfeit the right to complain if you're doing nothing to help your situation. At the same time, I forget how many times I've heard gamers moan about other stereotypes and how much they hate them (be it 'chavs', 'jocks' or whatever) because those are so narrow minded about their hobby... I mean, come on.

Going into my local game store back home I get all sorts of strange looks because me and my cousin who I game with are both "normal" people wearing "normal" clothes with good looking girlfriends hanging on our arms. The only person who didn't stare me down was the owner who thought we were just there to make fun of everyone until we dropped 200$ on an assortment of stuff. The people who fit the stereotype bring it upon themselves. And to say that they are proud to be geeks does not make it acceptable to be socially awkward and not accept the clean cut guys into their store.

I am probably a hypocrit though because I am afraid to join the gaming club at my college. I've walked by the room several times to scout it out but every time all I see are a bunch of awkward dudes all wearing Insane Clown Posse hoodies and everything else black. I really wanna find someone to play with up here but at the same time I wanna sacrifice the reputation I have built up as a smart clean-cut athletic guy.
I do think there is a lot of hypocrisy on both ends. I'm guilty of it too. Just as many gamers will be hostile towards non-gamers and vice versa, often for no real reason. I've felt uncomfortable walking into GW stores and gaming clubs because just by my looks I'll be judged and they will be convinced I'm only taking the piss, even though I have just as much interest in the hobby as they do. As much as I realise that I look down on many people fitting the gamer stereotype, I also realise that those people probably look down on me for not fitting it.

#20 ·
I dont really get mocked for my hobby, my girlfriend has had me build and paint models to her (STRICT!) specifications, all my friends in my close friendship group collect themselves and strangley enough, Ive bumped into some of my work mates at my localish gaming club, not all collecting GW based games, but tabletop games none the less.

I dont really get any issues from randomers screaming abuse nor did I ever. Im 6ft 4 and Im well built, more like a 2nd row rugby player than a gamer!

I see myself as a budding artist rather than a geek.

I think the hundreds of screaming kids is what gives the majority of the gamers a bad name, it does appear juvenile to be in a shop that the majority of clients are children, even though the game is really a very complex version of chess.

Dan

#21 ·
Wow... everything has been covered pretty much.. And reading the responses has been rather uplifting!

i myself hardly look the part, i am 16, tall, thin and well dressedl. I have no sci-fi related items of clothing, and the only vague similarity is the fact that i wear glasses.

Just starting at college and already my fellow students know i collect the hobby. Most respect my hobby and do not judge me for it, and treat me like they would want to be treated in return. However, there are certain individuals (as there always is) that openly criticize me, calling me petty insults and other such of the like. This is coming from the kind of person that makes snide comments and looks down on those who are more intelligent than they.

The best course of action for these kind of people is to simply ignore them, or if you cant resist, tell them to "Stop mocking someone for their hobby and grow up". Simple as.

Spladge P

#22 ·
I spose its interesting to note that we haven't heard from any of these 'steroetypical' geeks. I agree that your hobby shouldn't get in the way of personal hygiene, but beyond that its really not for anyone to judge how they live their life. It might be slightly anti-social to only have one interest, but you can't persuade people to have more, people are saying there's more to life than fantasy but if that other stuff doesn't interest you it isn't really a free choice and therefore you shouldn't be maligned because of it. I guess that could be some kind of nurture/nature argument, whether people do choose their personality or are born with it. Personally, I got pretty bad attention when I played magic: teh gathering at school, even some damaged property, but strangely my friends are fine with me playing WHFB, strange as they are both very grown up/intellectual games. Plus I have plenty of other interests.

#24 ·
OH. MY. GOD. This has got to be the best topic on this forum and one that I agree with the most.

Last year I went to my first games day with a friend (we were 18 so our parents were cool with use going to Chicago by ourselves) , my twin brother and other close friend didn't, why cause they went to Ohio with other friends and went to a roller coster theme park thing. I chose Games Day easily, not because I would rather be a nerd for 6 hours than go on a 4 day vacation to Ohio with friends but because I don't enjoy roller coasters (Im not a whose, I just don't see the point of get thrown in the air at 100mph what ever). My other 8 friends couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to go with them, even thou they knew I don't like coasters. When they asked what i was doing I avoided the question. Why? cause the kind of people I hang out with occasionally make fun of the stereotypical nerds and thus i don't feel comfortable talking to them about it. And I don't see the point of just bringing it up out of the blue. I am open about Magic:the Gathering because I see it as less nerdy because my generation grew up with collectible card games (POKEMON yeah!). But another reason I don't tell everyone is because last year at college on of my new friends saw my Magic cards and was shocked and quote "can't believe I would do something like that" Wow thanks -insert word-. If only she saw my fantasy and 40k armies!!! Thats why I don't tell anyone really. My family knows about it but is really indifferent to it. My girlfriend respects the fact that I play cause some of here best friends from her high school play too and she has her own hobby.

But the other point besides how people treat the "nerds" around them is the nerds themselves. I couldn't agree more with almost everyone that posted on here. This is how I roll into my hobby store.
Showered that day (usually take one everyday), shoes that don't have velcro or light up when you walk, paints without stains, usually a Hollister shirt or something with my college on it (I think these are "high" quality shirts that look a lot better than something "nerdy", the "cool" kids were these shirts) and I wear deodorant! 97% or more of the store fits that "nerd" look and/or behavior. It makes me feel weird going in because I seem to stick out too much and people really don't expect me to be in there or something.

So to those of you that fit the stereotype of nerd, please just shower every now and then, actually take the time when picking out cloths instead of picking up whatever is close to your race car bed, and stop WAAGGHHing in the store! (every other time i go in somebody is yelling waagh at the top of their lungs).

Us classy "nerds" will thank you and so will society. It makes you more approachable to the people in your own hobby!!

Wow that was a lot but it need to be said again thanks for starting this thread. Rep to you sir

#25 · (Edited)
I think this is more of a question of how people view themselves. No one wants to believe that they fit the stereotype of the nerd whether they do or they don't. If you have a high enough self esteem then your all set to do whatever you want. I myself have never been ridiculed for gaming, mostly because I haven't been doing it for that long and I dont advertise the fact that I do. My girlfriend doesn't care as long as i never ever, ever, ever say that i dont have money because I spent it all on Warhammer. Going into my local game store back home I get all sorts of strange looks because me and my cousin who I game with are both "normal" people wearing "normal" clothes with good looking girlfriends hanging on our arms. The only person who didn't stare me down was the owner who thought we were just there to make fun of everyone until we dropped 200$ on an assortment of stuff. The people who fit the stereotype bring it upon themselves. And to say that they are proud to be geeks does not make it acceptable to be socially awkward and not accept the clean cut guys into their store.

I am probably a hypocrit though because I am afraid to join the gaming club at my college. I've walked by the room several times to scout it out but every time all I see are a bunch of awkward dudes all wearing Insane Clown Posse hoodies and everything else black. I really wanna find someone to play with up here but at the same time I wanna sacrifice the reputation I have built up as a smart clean-cut athletic guy.

And I agree with all of the above. Showers are your friend. There is no excuse for not taking a shower at least once a day.

#28 ·
And I agree with all of the above. Showers are your friend. There is no excuse for not taking a shower at least once a day.
Showering every day, and particularly more than once per day, is unhealthy, and breaks down your immune system. Shower every second day, with exceptions for days you've worked out or otherwise get all sweaty and/or dirty, but clean up and use deodorant every day. Oh, and brush your teeth and your hair.

I've never gotten any crap about it. Probably because I mix up being a nerd with being in quite good shape and having decent social skills.

#26 · (Edited)
*stands up*

I'm 29

And yes, I am a Geek..

I am also a biker, a painter, a musician, 3d-modeller, gamer etc etc etc.

I'll be adding more and more strings to my harp as my life progresses.
(as should everyone)

Everyone can always find at least one "string" on another person's harp that they don't like, some can tune it out and focus on the ones they do like, others cannot.

C'est la vie

P.s
Labeling stopped bothering me a long time ago, it's just a way for us small-minded humans to try and understand our surroundings without setting our brains on fire.
(some just need to do it more often than others)
D.s

#27 ·
I'm 34 and not a nerd. But, like all blokes I have an inner nerd fighting to get out! Most guys seem to have an area of their life, hobby or interest that is their passion. Some have a few. The only people I can think of who don't are a bit shallow or scum.

To be defined by just one aspect of your life is silly and those that do so are very narrow minded. Most of my friends know I 'push little men around a table' with out issue. When some one does tell me I'm a bit sad or nerdy I usually ask them what they do with their time when not at work. Most simple do nothing. What a tragic and dull life.

Thing is we are all made up of many things and fit into many different groups. Me, I'm an artist, Teacher of Art (few hours a week), ride big mountain enduro MTB routes, surf a bit, write music and perform occasionally, drive a pimped VW T5, like a wide variety of music, blah, blah, blah.

But that doesn't even begin to define who I am.........Just realised I am rambling on in a random manner so should probably stop.

Oh dear, I haven't

Ironically I meet alot of so called 'nerds' through my work in schools and find they are the ones who quickly get into 40k or WFB and then quickly get right back out of it as it is not what they thought it was going to be. Mainly, the ones that stay with it are the brighter kids.

I think that what defines a nerd for many is if you don't follow the shallow crowd and do stuff the popular people do whilst being more intelligent than them and deeper thinking. So, if I'm right in that definition, I know which crowd I'd rather be in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.