Battle Chronicler: Anyone Use It? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Battle Chronicler: Anyone Use It?

For anyone who doesn't know, Battle Chronicler is a PC program that lets you recreate miniature battles for the sake of battle reports. It's a free download, but currently only good for "rank-and-file" games (sorry, skirmishers and 40k are out of luck).
    I've had no end of problems with this program, so I was wondering if anyone else here used this program and could steer me in the right direction.

1- there are no 'hill' terrain features. Umm... who has battles on flat plains?

2- how do you embed models into other regiments? When I say that I have 29 swordsmen in ranks of 6, there's no open gap left where the missing 30th swordsman should be. It automatically rounds out the regiments.

3- whenever i advance to the next turn, some of my regiments move erratically. I had a regiment of Chaos Warriors move 17.9" across the field, to their other flank, while a regiment of Chaos Hounds simply disappeared. Why does this happen?

All together, I'm thinking of just sticking to cell-phone pictures and 'paint' if I want to write a report. The system does have it's good points, with templates for explosions and really well rendered buildings and the likes. You can name regiments just like you would see in a WD report. The trouble is that the devil is in the details. It seems really smooth and polished at first, but that all quickly falls apart, as I discovered.
    Anyone know of any alternative systems out there, or how to fix this one?

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Vassal. That produces great battle reports, and you can do it by yourself or against someone else!

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-mod-clan.html (40k Online - The VASSAL Mod Clan)
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    For anyone who doesn't know, Battle Chronicler is a PC program that lets you recreate miniature battles for the sake of battle reports. It's a free download, but currently only good for "rank-and-file" games (sorry, skirmishers and 40k are out of luck).
    I've had no end of problems with this program, so I was wondering if anyone else here used this program and could steer me in the right direction.
    I have used Battle Chronicler a lot recently to make Battle Reports and to actually use it to play games with and I think its great. Maybe you are using a really old version of it or just got off on the wrong foot with it, so let me answer some of your points.

Battle Chronicler now works great for 40K in the latest version as you can define a unit with loose formation and position each model independently of the rest.

1- there are no 'hill' terrain features. Umm... who has battles on flat plains?
    There are hills and a whole load of other stuff available, you need to download the additional component pack to get them though. Also hills are listed under the 'ground' category if you cannot find them.

2- how do you embed models into other regiments? When I say that I have 29 swordsmen in ranks of 6, there's no open gap left where the missing 30th swordsman should be. It automatically rounds out the regiments.
    The is an 'attached' feature that lets you link a character to a unit.
    A unit with missing models in its back rank will be drawn as a rectangle, so include the gaps as you describe, this is how they do it in WD. If you dont like it like this there is an option to display the individual models instead.

3- whenever i advance to the next turn, some of my regiments move erratically. I had a regiment of Chaos Warriors move 17.9" across the field, to their other flank, while a regiment of Chaos Hounds simply disappeared. Why does this happen?
    Me and my friends came across that when first getting to know BattleChronicler and its a feature not a bug. Each turn is independently defined. Every time you move to the next turn it makes a copy of the previous turn and you can then move the units from there. If you then go back to the previous turn and move a unit it wont update the same unit in the later turn. There is a menu item to reset a turn, you just need to play with it.

All together, I'm thinking of just sticking to cell-phone pictures and 'paint' if I want to write a report. The system does have it's good points, with templates for explosions and really well rendered buildings and the likes. You can name regiments just like you would see in a WD report. The trouble is that the devil is in the details. It seems really smooth and polished at first, but that all quickly falls apart, as I discovered.
    Anyone know of any alternative systems out there, or how to fix this one?
    My advice is to have another go with BattleChronicer. It is a complex system that requires sometime to get to know, but worth the effort.

+ Reply to Thread