Other How do YOU choose? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do YOU choose?

here is a question that always gets asked and is rather annoying

what army too choose?

and most people will agree the answer is "go with the one you like" but what process do you go through to decide wether you are a imperial guardsman or a lizard monster

(warhammer my number one game)

but i am not asking you which one i should choose i am asking what sort of things made you choose your army

for example

i collected necrons because i thought the idea of machines was awesome (my terminator phase)

but what things make you choose your army...do you love the freedom of conversion or the awesome fluff...

this way we can see a sort of trend of what people think about when choosing then others can get an idea of what they should think about when choosing...

this applies too any game really so go wild and tell us what made you pick "insert name"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Hmm, after quitting 40k due to the over representation of Space Marines at my store, and the increasingly simplistic nature of the rules, I looked for a fantasy battle army.

I wanted something different to my previous Eldar force, and was immediatly attracted to two armies. Goblins, and Lizardmen. In the end I chose Lizardmen because I felt they offered a more varied paint scheme.

I also loved the fact that my core saurus warriors got 2 attacks, instead of the standard 1 attack and that they had a 5+ armour save before I even upgraded them!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

I first started collection Necrons when I was new to 40k because I wanted a force with a stat line simular to Space Marines, but everyone collects them, and I wanted to be different, which was when I discovered Necrons, and they can get back up!

I've also just recently started collecting an Inquisition army, I'd started getting bored with my Necrons due to lack of diversity in their lists so decided to look at getting and imperial army, when I was browsing the GW website I came accross Grey Knights, so starting collecting them, namely to push my painting skills to the limit. Over time my Daemonhunter army is going to accumulate Witchhunter allies, and then swap around and have WH with DH allies, and maybe a Space Marine detatchment if the rest of the army is lacking something.
    Grey Knight WIP Thread <Clicky>

I am the Hammer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well first of all Iím a FB player, when looking at an army to collect 3 main things come into it and these are in no specific order they are all pretty important to me.

1) Iíve got to like the models; Iím going to be spending a lot of time and money on them obviously Iíve got to like them. Also the more plastics in an army range the better as Iím not that found of working with the metal models. I know this sounds like a no brainer to most people but I do know people whole will put up with models they donít really like because they love the fluff or play style. Iím not saying itís a bad thing but itís just not for me.

2) Background, luckily GW does usually disappoint in this regard. I love my fluff more then I love winning games so when building an army I wonít look for a list to beat all comers id rather have a themed army. At the moment Iím in the planning staged of a WoC Slaanesh theme army and I will try to make it as fluffy as I can, even if it means Iím at a disadvantage

3) Play style: I have to like how the models feel during a game itís no good building an army just to hate actually playing them.

This is probably what most people here feel. Thereís also other stuff that factors in like monetary cost or how many people play a certain army but these are the first things I look at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

When I first started I looked at all of the army's choices available and the model range each one provided. I was stuck between two army's then finally made the decision to go chaos as I would have a lot of available options to use.
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

i started black templar because i liked the challenge of the paint scheme

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

First thing I usually look at is the rules. Say what you will, but painstakingly converting and painting an army you later realise you hate playing sucks something fierce. I've also noticed while things like fluff and models can be compensated for to a degree (in rare cases "counts as"), you really can't do anything about bad rules and units.

Usually step 2 after I find an army list that looks capable and interesting is looking at models to see if they are nice enough to play out of the box or will require some healthy conversion to not look like trash.

Fluff is never a factor for me, it's a big universe, come up with your own.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a look through the armirs and thought for myself, which army will be the real pain to paint, so I never will finish it off? And so I Went for old school Emperor's children.

Not really true (even if the colors played a big part in it all). I've been stuck with chaos ever since I began to read about it. Chaos space marines are almost a whole plastic army, which is easy to convert. Horror is something that's always fun and the nature of chaos with all their mutations fitted my creativity well (others say I just have a mutation fetish).
    Second reason. I've never been a big fan of hord armies. Chaos space marines were tough enough to not have a hord army of. If you played Slaanesh, then you had 6 as a sacred number, which held down the size of the units. And if you played noise marines, with sonic blasters, blast masters and what ever you could get to them, the points held down the number of squads you could buy too =p
    Any third reason? The colooouuursss.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

The pictures and models grab me, and off I go.

I started 40K with Space Marines, and remain years later playing only Space Marines. It's the cover art and imagery, the armor and swords and the huge guns blazing. Shrike screaming down from the sky and slashing at his foes. Implacable Lysander lumbering slowly across the field, shouldering aside huge blasts and scattering tanks with his hammer. I started with Raven Guard, and at 3,000 odd points switched to Imperial Fists. Another chapter, and another, will follow.

Cover art got me into Bretonnians as well. I love that image on the cover of the knight wading into the spawn of Chaos. Open the book, and you see the faded pennants. Loved it. It burns me out, painting all the different colors and patterns, and at around 4,000 points of painted models (with 4,000 left unpainted), I've had to put them on hold for a bit.

The models got me into Dark Elves. By the time I bought into them, I had improved my painting at least to the point where I knew that I wanted to paint beautiful and intriguing models, and Dark Elves were it. Leaked Cold One Knights just looked so fantastic, and when I saw Lokhir Fellheart, I was doomed forever. I'm more than halfway done painting the army, and I can't wait to finish it off.

Khador and Trollbloods from Privateer Press grabbed me with the models. It's the Khadoran infantry, all in red, that I love, but for the Trolls I simply fell in love with the Mauler model. It's amazing and dynamic and all I needed to collect the whole army.

So yeah, pictures sell me. I'll play good armies or bad, but the art on the box and the sculpts inside, that's what gets me and keeps me.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, its a synergy of models and whatever my other interests are at the time.

When I first got into WH40K, my USMC background dictated that I align my interests with Space Marines; my college football interests caused me to create a chapter using the scarlet and grey colors of OSU. Later, I moved on to Ultramarines as I got more into the game fluff and background. When my painting skills got better, I redid my marines as Howling Griffons. Eventually I got tired of having "just another SM army" and sold them.

Shortly after I saw Band of Brothers and Enemy at the Gates, the plastic Cadians came out, so I had to start an Imperial Guard Army. At 1000 points, my balanced armor/heavy infanty force based on US WWII first armored division lost 8 games in a row and found themselves a new home.

After watching Aliens one too many times, I tried collecting a Tyranid army. I learned that I hate painting hordes, and eventually sold them via the FLGS.

When the Tau were introduced, I was deep into manga, and I had to have a battlesuit force. They have been repainted and expanded occasionally over the years, have done well in small games, and still have a place of history on my display shelf.

When the latest Orc Codex was published, the craziness of the Orcs seemed like a welcome break from the structure of "serious" armies I had collected up to that point. Too late (after collecting around 1000 points) I again realized the obvious: Orcs are a horde army, which I hate to paint. They hold a place of respect on my display shelf simply because I have painted almost the whole force and can't bring myself to part with so many painted models in one go.

Somehow, I've ended up interested in Black Templars, convincing myself that the 20-man crusade squads are not horde-like. At 2000 points, they are now my go-to army, blending my interest in medieval knights, sci-fi, WH40K background, and cool models into a synergy that has kept my interest in painting them going long enough to support their pride of place on the display shelf and game table. They have performed consistently at low point and medium-point games (i.e., win all games < 750 pts, lose all games > 750 pts).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast