Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
This is my list of the 10 best Elite choices right now in the game of 40K. Considering all factors - abilities, stats, costs, etc. - but most importantly, how much of an impact it has on your army and even the entire game.
10. Elite Inquisitor - give him 2 mystics and he's the best anti-deepstrike defense in all of 40k. Or give him some warriors and you have quite a shooty firebase. Not very hard-hitting but tactically, they alter the whole gameplan of certain armies.
9. Sly Marbo - usually makes his points back and then some. Very good sacrificial unit for his point costs considering what he can do.
8. Flamers of Tzeentch - unbelievable amount of damage that they can do. They can wipe out a 10-man squad of termies or a 30-ork mob in a blink of an eye.
7. Grey Knight Terminators - WS5 S6 relic blades in terminator armor that hit at normal initiative. Lots of special rules as well. Only downside is they are quite expensive.
6. Blood Angels Death Company - they're fast (jump option), hit hard (3 attacks, furious charge, rending), are tough to kill (FNP), and don't break (Fearless). Best of all, they're almost free.
5. Bloodcrushers of Khorne - just one of the harddest hitting hammer units in all of 40k. Can dish and take some.
4. Sternguards - very versatile. Can take out anything from MEQ's to TEQ's to vehicles. Throw in Pedro and they are a scoring unit.
3. Wolf Guards - arguably the most versatile unit in all of 40k. Can be configured to take on almost any role, including as leaders for other space wolf units. Throw in Logan and all of a sudden, they're a scoring unit. My only caveat with them - which prevents them from being #1 - is that they could be exorbitant in cost.
2. Assault Terminators - the toughest and harddest hitting combo-unit in all of 40k. They would be #1 if only they were scoring.
1. Nobz - the reason why Orks are the winningest GT army (at least for now). And they become a scoring unit with a warboss.
Howling Banshees - cheap, hard-hitting hammer unit but not very survivable.
Ironclad Dreadnought - as long as you can get him close to the enemy (i.e. drop pods), can dish and take as well.
Tyranid Warriors - very versatile. CC or shooty configurations. Plus they provide synapse for the rest of the army.
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits - shooting-wise they are quite versatile and very annoying with their extra movement in the assault phase. The downside is that they are quite expensive when kitted out with upgrades and are downright pathetic in cc.
---- Added -----
Dark Eldar Wych - seriously good AND can nerf/tarpit your opponent's elite fighting troops too. Plus have access to some of the best wargear in the game, plus drugs, plus the option for a raider. (thanks to ArtificiallyEnhanced)
Fire Dragons - the best unit at taking out any vehicles (short of a monolith). Also great at killing TEQ's and nobs.
Ok...now bring on the debates.
Last edited by jy2; November 4th, 2009 at 19:08.
I'd have to rate arbo higher than that, at his points he's a shoo-in at pretty much any level and will swing the battle rather heavily in just one turn of him popping up. Surely the best point-for- point?
Oh, and where are wyches? Seriously good AND can nerf/tarpit your opponent's elite fighting troops too. Plus have access to some of the best wargear in the game, plus drugs, plus the option for a raider. Not even an honorable mention?!
Last edited by ArtificiallyEnhanced; November 4th, 2009 at 03:56.
Alright, alright...they deserve an honorable mention only. Any general worth his stars (and familiar with DE) will know to take down the wyche's (and the archon/wychite's) raiders first and make them footslog. We all know how vulnerable they are in the open. And if they get too close, I'd throw a sacrificial (cheap) unit for them to assault and wipe them out afterwards with shooting.Oh, and where are wyches? Seriously good AND can nerf/tarpit your opponent's elite fighting troops too. Plus have access to some of the best wargear in the game, plus drugs, plus the option for a raider. Not even an honorable mention?!
*smug justified feeling*
I still maintain my point about Marbo thopugh, he can really swing a game and there's bound to be SOMETHING he can go for.
Also, I personally have a thing against reservers. They could come in the nick of time and help turn the game around....or they could show up on turn 5 and be "too little, too late". Though an IG player can always take an Astropath to help with reserves roll, it's still a little too inconsistent and an extra 30pts you've just added to your army (though a worthy investment if you have a good part of your army in reserves).
Don't get me wrong, I think Marbo is a great investment. That's why he's in the top 10 (and maybe could rank higher than the Flamers of Tzeentch). It's just that I think there are better.
Last edited by jy2; November 4th, 2009 at 04:29.
To be fair, turn 3-4 is ideal for me, so Marbo is a fair given for one of those 2 turns. Even T5 he can pop up and claim an otherwise unclaimable objective, or rather contest it.
Guess I need to step up for eldar again. I love the girls ( thanks for the honorable mention ) but honestly I have trouble even putting them as the best elite in the codex they need to much support. Now firedragons each come with a melta for under 20 points a model. No tank is safe from them, MCs drop like flies and even terminators pay attention to where they are on the battle field. People always say that they are a suicide unit but it is because no enemy is going to let them live for a round outside of the transport. The fact that the gun is str 8 means they even instant death a large number of enemies ( nob BBQ anyone? ).
First of all, I have to say that Eldars have some nifty Elite options. The fact that they are specialized for different types of roles makes it harder to pick out which of their units are more outstanding. I was pondering between the Banshees, Fire Dragons, Scorpions, Harlequins and even Wraithguards.
I finally settled on the HB's over the Dragons. Whereas the HB's can't do anything to vehicles, the Eldar army has weapons (Bright Lances) that can and the HB's are needed as a hammer unit to finish off whatever is inside. Eldars win that battle. Dragons, on the other hand, are no doubt great at destroying transports. As a matter of fact, it is overkill to use 10 Dragons on a vehicle so the normal squad is about 5x in size and in transport. So they disembark and wipe out vehicle. Next turn whatever had just disembarked assaults and wipes them out in cc. Enemy win, though the Dragons have done their job.
And that's why I chose the Banshees as honorable mention. However, if eldar players think their Dragons are more important, who am I to argue with the real "experts".
---- Edit: Dragons added -----
Last edited by jy2; November 4th, 2009 at 19:12.
ORKZ IZ BEST!
Gotta says it.
Change the description to " 'Cause deys da biggest, da strongest, 'n da krumpiest gitz in da 'ooniverse!"