WH40K Top 10 Troop Choices - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Top 10 Troop Choices

This is my list of the 10 best Troop choices right now in the game of 40K. Considering all factors - abilities, stats, costs, etc. - but most importantly, how much of an impact it has on your army and even the entire game.

Top 10

10. Noise Marines - can take down most MEQ's. Costs skyrocket when you give them a blastmaster or sonic blasters.

9. Plaguebearers - unbelievably tough. No one, with the exception of Plague Marines, will anchor down an objective or hold an icon better. Would be higher if only they had some power attacks or were able to take a transport.

8. Imperial Guard Veteran squad - cheap enough to spam. Versatile enough to take out anything from tanks to terminators to swarms. The only troop choice that can take demolitions. Also can take the much improved chimera as a transport.

7. Grey Knights - one of the best MEQ's that's not Chaos. Will own normal MEQ's. Downside - costs, cannot take transports other than Land Raiders (or inducted Chimeras).

6. Witch Hunter Battle Sisters - the cheapest MEQ (marine equivalent) you can get. Faith makes them really good and dangerous for their cost. Downside - guardsmen stats.

5. Chaos Space Marine - better than tactical squads. Cheaper, more attacks, more versatile special/heavy weapons, and the ability to take an Icon.

4. Ork Boyz ('Ard Boyz) - the most dangerous horde around. By themselves they are not too bad, but when you face an ork army, you're usually looking at 4-6 of them. That's scary. We all hate that 30-wound PK Nob.

3. Berserkers - when they get the charge, not many troops can stand up to them in cc (except maybe plague marines). Downside - costs.

2. Grey Hunters - the new best MEQ in town. Dangerous when they assault or get assaulted. For their price, there really is no comparison. They may have low leadership, but that is easily remedied with the addition of a wolf guard. Want more oomph in assault? Add a wolf guard and you have a squad with 2 power weapons and a Mark of the Wulfen. The only thing that limits them is their transport. If only their rhinos or pods could hold 12, they'd be on top.

1. Plague Marines - it's not fair. Why do Chaos have all the best troops? One of the 2 toughest troop choices in all of 40k (along with plaguebearers). Perfect for objectives-sitting. Don't underestimate their offense either, with a possible 3 plasmas and power fist or 2 meltas and combi-melta. Downside - costs.

Honorable mentions

Blood Angels Assault Squad - jump infantry as troops....nice. The only thing is the costs, which is high.

Blood Claws - another cheap MEQ unit that's very dangerous on the charge. Add a wolf guard and that already dangerous unit is just that much more dangerous.

Dire Avengers - not to be underestimated with their Bladestorm and a tarpit unit with Defend and Shimmershields.

Genestealers - still one of the best cc-troop units. What's hurt them is their fragility, their inability to take any transports and the fact that a fully kitted unit is exorbitant in cost.

Space Marine Tactical squad - not the best at anything, but good enough and dependable enough. Not much downside. Just don't expect them to go toe-to-toe with some of the more elite units.

------------- Added ----------------

Dark Eldar Warrior - dirt cheap. Can be given 2 heavy and 2 special weapons. Also could be decent in cc, though I wouldn't waste combat drugs or agonisers on them (save those for the wyches). Really fragile.

Thousand Sons - pure cheese. Good tarpit unit. Downside - costs.

Ok...now bring on the debates.

Last edited by jy2; November 11th, 2009 at 18:17.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would put Ork Boys at #1.

They may not be the best troop choice in the game, but they are the best value for points. Even more so when working in synchronisation with a KFF Big Mek.

I would put genestealers somewhere in the top 10 too. With the ability to outflank they become very devastating. Plan ahead with some on-the-spot mathhammer to make sure they wipe out the enemy in the opponents turn rather than your own, so you are free to move-fleet-assault a second unit.

Dire Avengers should be in the top 5 when combined with bladestorm and doom/guide. They are the ultimate anti-horde unit, able to annihilate a full mob of 30 orks or 32 gaunts with their eyes closed.

This discussion has the same problem as the other discussions about FOC choices.

Do you go by the best unit at full strength?
    Or the best value for points?

Do you go by the unit in a vacuum?
    Or when combined with other things in the army that compliments them?
    (e.g. Lash, KFF, SM HQ's, Necron Lord, etc)

Personally i believe that troops are better when complimented with other things. These combinations are what makes a unit effective in a game.

A lot like Magic: The Gathering, something like a 4/4 creature for GG1 might seem rediculously efficient in a vacuum, but in a deck its useless as it doesnt work in synchronicity with the rest of the deck.
    Last edited by joebloggs1987; November 11th, 2009 at 05:10.
    Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Dark Eldar warriors? Dark Eldar wyches (in a wych cult list)?
    Warriors for the ability to take absurd amounts of weapons (2x special and 2x heavy each) for cheap and be reasonably good at both shooting and close combat.
    Wyches are the tarpit unit of nightmares. Cheap, ties up your unit forever while killing them. Fast or slow, depending on how tough your unit is and how good the invulnerable save is. 4+invul save in CC, multiple attacks, combat drugs, and has option to take a single power weapon that wounds on a 4+. Add in wych weapon options and the ability to take special weapons.

Both are balanced by fragility.
    Last edited by Mongooseo; November 11th, 2009 at 05:19.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs1987 View Post
    I would put Ork Boys at #1.

They may not be the best troop choice in the game, but they are the best value for points. Even more so when working in synchronisation with a KFF Big Mek.
    I think the top 4 is actually very close, especially between the berserkers and plague marines. Any of them could be #1. However, whereas a KFF Big Mek would make a mob of ork boyz better, so would a lash sorcerer make the cult marines better (by lashing the ork boyz away) or a Rune Priest with the Grey Hunters (Murderous Hurricane is just devastating on Ork Boyz).

I would put genestealers somewhere in the top 10 too. With the ability to outflank they become very devastating. Plan ahead with some on-the-spot mathhammer to make sure they wipe out the enemy in the opponents turn rather than your own, so you are free to move-fleet-assault a second unit.
    Genestealers got hit hard in 5th, and I'm not just talking about rending. Although they do get better cover saves, 5th edition has gone the ways of mechanization. It's very simple. Any unit without the capability for transports for protection and mobility is already at a big disadvantage. That's why I also didn't put any of the chaos daemon troop choices on the list even though they've also got some good units (though bad saves).

Dire Avengers should be in the top 5 when combined with bladestorm and doom/guide. They are the ultimate anti-horde unit, able to annihilate a full mob of 30 orks or 32 gaunts with their eyes closed.
    Thought about it, but they wouldn't last against any of the troop choices on that list (with the exception of the veteran squads).

This discussion has the same problem as the other discussions about FOC choices.

Do you go by the best unit at full strength?
    Or the best value for points?

Do you go by the unit in a vacuum?
    Or when combined with other things in the army that compliments them?
    (e.g. Lash, KFF, SM HQ's, Necron Lord, etc)
    Consider everything. While scary, full strength may not always be optimal as most units at full strength cannot ride in transports.

Look at it this way, you're building an army list for a GT tourney and have to take everything into consideration - costs, balance, versatility, army synergy, ability to hold objectives (durability) or destroy the enemy (offense), ability to survive, etc.

Personally i believe that troops are better when complimented with other things. These combinations are what makes a unit effective in a game.
    Exactly. That's why I've put, for example, veterans on this list. Though they're real fragile, they're actually a very good troop choice. Versatile (can take out anything from tanks to infantry to terminators) and cheap, they are very synergistic in that they allow the whole army to be balanced with cheap, specialized troops and their many excellent vehicular units - leman russes, vendettas, hellhounds, basilisks, etc. In other words, they complement each other well.

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Mongooseo View Post
    Dark Eldar warriors? Dark Eldar wyches (in a wych cult list)?
    Warriors for the ability to take absurd amounts of weapons (2x special and 2x heavy each) for cheap and be reasonably good at both shooting and close combat.
    Wyches are the tarpit unit of nightmares. Cheap, ties up your unit forever while killing them. Fast or slow, depending on how tough your unit is and how good the invulnerable save is. 4+invul save in CC, multiple attacks, combat drugs, and has option to take a single power weapon that wounds on a 4+. Add in wych weapon options and the ability to take special weapons.

Both are balanced by fragility.
    I didn't include wyches for the same reason why I didn't include Nobz or Wolf Guards - because they're primarily an Elite choice (you can find them here on Top 10 Elite Choices)
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

*Clears throat*

May I once again sing the praises of the dark eldar, this time in warrior form.

-Squad sizes range between throwaway (10) and tarpitting combatters (20).
    -Unit leader has access to one of the best amouries in the game, including one of the best weapons (agonisers) and the only reliable pinning weapon in the game, the terorfex (or xenospasm if you want to be super nasty).
    -Multiple dark lances: for 100 points you can have 10 bodies with 2 dark lances. Will take out most, if not all, armour.
    -Multiple assault weapons. Can take 2 blasters. If a CC-orientated squad then can take 2 splinter cannon as well instead of the dark lances. Causes pain.
    -Very high I.
    -Fleet

Need I say more?
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry.... but.... wow.

Top 10 Troop Choices
    This is my list of the 10 best Troop choices right now in the game of 40K. Considering all factors - abilities, stats, costs, etc. - but most importantly, how much of an impact it has on your army and even the entire game.

Top 10

10. Imperial Guard Veteran squad - cheap enough to spam. Versatile enough to take out anything from tanks to terminators to swarms. The only troop choice that can take demolitions. Also can take the much improved chimera as a transport. Should probably be higher, 155 points for 3 meltaguns, a heavy flamer, a multilaser, and a scoring unit that can move 12? Oh hell yes.

9. Thousand Sons - pure cheese. Good tarpit unit. Downside - costs.

Are you rating by actual viability or just coolness? Because Thousand Sons aren't nearly points efficient enough to be on this list

8. Noise Marines - can take down most MEQ's. Costs skyrocket when you give them a blastmaster or sonic blasters.

See above, definitely better though, when equipped right

7. Witch Hunter Battle Sisters - the cheapest MEQ (marine equivalent) you can get. Faith makes them really good and dangerous for their cost. Downside - guardsmen stats.

Solid

6. Chaos Space Marine - better than tactical squads. Cheaper, more attacks, more versatile special/heavy weapons, and the ability to take an Icon.

Solid

5. Grey Knights - one of the best MEQ's that's not Chaos. Will own normal MEQ's. Downside - costs, cannot take transports other than Land Raiders (or inducted Chimeras).

For 25 points a model? Eh. Not in my Top 10. Great units, but anytime you're in danger of losing 50-75 points from a few lasguns, you've got problems.

4. Ork Boyz ('Ard Boyz) - the most dangerous horde around. By themselves they are not too bad, but when you face an ork army, you're usually looking at 4-6 of them. That's scary. We all hate that 30-wound PK Nob.

Belong somewhere in the top 10

3. Berserkers - when they get the charge, not many troops can stand up to them in cc (except maybe plague marines). Downside - costs.

.... no. Certainly not higher than normal CSM's, and certainly not with 5th edition assault rules

2. Plague Marines - it's not fair. Why do Chaos have all the best troops? Arguably one of the toughest troop choices in all of 40k. Perfect for objectives-sitting. Don't underestimate their offense either, with a possible 3 plasmas and power fist. Downside - costs.

Definitely belong in the top 5

1. Grey Hunters - the new best MEQ in town. Dangerous when they assault or get assaulted. For their price, there really is no comparison. Their only weakness - low leadership, but that is easily remedied with the addition of a wolf guard. Want more oomph in assault? Add a wolf guard and you have a squad with 2 power weapons and a Mark of the Wulfen.

Much love for the Grey Hunters, but number 1? If our Rhinos/Droppods held 12 and we could bring the WGL and 2 special weapons I would agree, but they can't so I don't. They also are a bit spendy to spam in full units efficiently

Blood Claws - another cheap MEQ unit that's very dangerous on the charge. Add a wolf guard and that already dangerous unit is just that much more dangerous.

Blood Claws... are bad now. Hate to say it. They lost both things that made them great, being cheaper than Grey Hunters, and spamming powerfists like it's going out of style. Not even really playable without a Wolf Priest, and even then, underwhelming.
    I'm absolutely baffled as to how Plague Bearers didn't make the list. Deep strikeable nigh invincible scoring units that are pretty much impossible to kill if they are sitting on an objective in cover, which is the ultimate security in a troop choice.

Dire Avengers deserve an honorable mention, DE Warriors should probably be on the list.

For what it's worth, I think IG vets are by far the best, most impactful troop choice in the game right now. 155 points (3xmelta, Chimera w/ML-Heavy Flamer) for a tough, dependable, SCORING unit that has mobility, close range firepower, BS 4 meltaguns and the ability to easily take in groups of 4 or more without a massive investment? Please sir, can I have some more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

See, I'd go like....

10. Fenrisian Wolves. Cheap, reasonably tough, fairly killy. Also your HQ characters can buff them.
    9. Inquisitorial Storm-Troopers. Cheap special weapons and surprisingly resilient bubble-wrap. Why bother taking Elite StormTroopers when you can take these lads for the same price? [EDIT: Not the same price, like 6pts per model cheaper] And take them in any Imperial army?
    8. Wyches. Tarpit central, baby; except they don't just tarpit, they also kill. Also they can take Raiders, and everyone hates Raiders. If they don't, they should.
    7. Plague Marines. T4(5) makes them harder to hurt than 1k Sons and they get 2 saves against the majroity of wounds that are inflicted on them. They're cheaper too. Combine all that with Fearless and a Rhino and you're going to have to do a lot of work to shift them off objectives.
    6. Imperial Guard Infantry Platoon. 10 Heavy Weapons and Chimeras in one Troops slot. 'Nuff said.
    5. Kroot. I. DESPISE. The Kroot. "Okay so I'll just go and charge the -- oh wait no there's Kroot in the way. So instead I'll shoot the -- oh no wait, Kroot in the way. So forget it, I'll just Infil -- no... more Kroot. Right then, I'm going to kill all the Kroot, except they have a 2+ cover save and now I've been shot to pieces from the opposite board edge."
    4. Plaguebearers. Like the Plague Marines, only with Eternal Warrior, and invulnerable save, and T5 base. F**k you, Plaguefather.
    3. Ork Boyz. Hey look, 180 of them for slightly more than 1000pts. That's not good, is it? Not for you, anyway.
    2. Space Marine Bike Squads. They need 135pts of Captain to run as Troops, but that's okay because they're awesome.
    1. Sisters of Battle. Cheap, cheerful, kitted out to bust vehicles and cover (i.e the two strongest things in 5th Edition), and as if that wasn't enough they also do tricks.
    Last edited by Frank Fugger; November 11th, 2009 at 12:32.

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

Grots anyone? O.k they might not take a spot in the top ten of greatest troop choices but they are great in their own way, they can claim objectives, they can shoot better than boyz, 3 pts each! My unit of grots have never been wiped out in a game, have killed a landspeeder, even wounded one of Danjones monster deamon princes at this years L.O meet. People always seem to under estmate them. Viva la Grot!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Ive got to go for the humble spineguant here. Not much by itself, but combined with WoN and you have one of the most durable objective holders out there. 64 points for 8 models, that when killed, simply come back on again. Place an objective on your board edge, and simply sit back and let them die. On and you make them "fearless" rediculously easyilly, just leave a cheapo unit of warriors nearby, or even zoans in a pinch, and your laughing.

They can go further than that though, rather than deploy them on an objective, use them as a screen. When killed simply place on objective, and viola, you have a temprary 4+ save that can perform other roles when killed.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CARNIFEX! Well not till January, we hope!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast