Do you feel tournament play is killing the hobby? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you feel tournament play is killing the hobby?

*not so much of a rant...more of a...minor moan*
    So,

I had my very first game with my new Skaven army today- I'd settled on taking a couple of new toys just to test out how effective they are but mainly because I really loved the plague furnace model.

I arranged a game with a good friend of mine "To have some fun", he doesn't consider himself a competitive player and this is what we both fielded;

1000pts Skaven (me)

Characters
    Plague Priest, Plague Censor, Furnace
    Warlock Engineer, Doom Rocket

Core
    30 Clanrats, Shields, Full Command, Warpfire thrower
    25 Slaves, Musician

Special
    25 Plague Monks, Full command
    5 or 6 Poisoned Wind Globadiers
    6 or 7 Plague Censor Bearers

I made this list up with no real aim in mind, just wanted to test out some of the units and have a laugh.

His list;

1000pts Dark Elves

sorceress, level 2, 2 powerstones
    sorceress, level 2, 2 powerstones
    2 units of corsairs (one was 19, one was smaller but more than 15)
    chariot
    war hydra

Now, my "cheesy unit" he was complaining about- the plague monks+furnace hit his hydra after he managed to get a breath weapon attack off killing about 9 of them, in combat they proceeded to kill his war hydra but in the process lost everything but the furnace... the rest of my army he massacred with Magic.

When I openly asked him did he feel it was a good idea taking that much magic when he knew I'd at best have a couple of level 1s- he told me that was the list he always ran at 1000pts and he was surprised how effective the magic was as usually most people run at least 2+ dispel scrolls.

The thing is, magic has become such a game winner that there are 2 builds out there- magic heavy lists and anti-magic heavy lists. There's nothing more depressing than seeing an opponent put out a special character backed up with 3 level 2s, or 4 vampires and knowing you've got absolutely nothing in the army that can shut them down.

I'm not talking about tournament play, I'm not even talking about competitive play- but do people feel that the average pick up game of Fantasy they play these days they find themselves facing cheesy lists or lists that exploit the rules? In short.. have the one or two tournament players you get in each gaming club and shop around the world forced everyone to start having to match their level of play rather than we just band together and play friendly?

Dont get me wrong, I like tournament play and I like competing at that level- but when you use a brand new army and a good friend sticks something like that across the table from you, I cant help but feel this hobby in general has taken an unpleasent turn the past few years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

My local club ran a campaign. Mainly to promote new players to learn how to play and give them a good taste for it. It was a map type campaign, points agreed between opponents.

I'm a fairly experienced Lizards player. I do normally magic heavy lists (hard to not be magic heavy with a slann) But I do like the Carny old blood. In which case I take 2 priest caddies and that's it.

More to the point.

In 1000 points I had

Scar veteran
    Hide of the cold one
    Great weapon

Lvl 1 Priest
    2 x scrolls

2 x 15 saurus blocks with spears and full command

2 x 10 skink skirmishers

5 x Cold one Cavalry

His list was;

2 x lvl 2 Sorceress with a power stone each. one with a dagger.

20 warriors block with command

10 corsairs
    command

10 executioners

5 x Cold one knights

War hydra

Playing against that much magic + a hydra in 1000 points was ridiculous. Luckily I'm a better player than he was. Hydra charged my cold ones, kept fleeing.

Eventually my cold ones managed to get his hydra useless in a corner of the table and his executioners stuck in a forest.

A destroyed everything else and won, taking a lot of casualties myself.

In my playing group in general no one does the cheesy thing. We don't play much fantasy anymore but we don't do it in 40k.

There was recently some issues in a 2v2 but it was really due to match up. Me and another player both have themed mech armies. His is eldar, mine is dark eldar. Throw as together on a team against Guardsmen and foot slogging CSM and watch as the CSM get killed midfield while the guard vehicles are constantly shaken/stunned/destroyed.

It really comes down to the type of person you're playing against I think. You could always try teaching him a lesson by doing it to him, but you'll be stooping to his level.

That's my 2 cents,

Glavas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having a rematch with him soon... I'm going to take a nice friendly list again. I've decided that I'd prefer to win the odd game and know its down to me being a better player than spamming a particular combination and knowing I win because I play Daemons...lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

I don't think it is killing the hobby. A lot of it has to do with the group you play with. Down at the local GW I was surprised by how many people play uncompetitive list, or they try and be cheesy and take overpriced over powered units that are nearly as effective as core choices. Having not played in awhile but reading quite a bit on the forum I found it odd to go in the store and watch two footslogging space marine armies fighting each other, I was saying in my mind "don't you go on the Librarium? everyone knows the new edition is all about Mech"

So I would say that in these parts around the local store people are not playing ultra competitive armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

Definition of Cheese: A list that when usedm beats yours, no matter how bad you are at the game

My Arena Champions: Kharn'eth The Bloodcleaver and Gorzag Iron Jaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by RobtheGuru View Post
    Definition of Cheese: A list that when usedm beats yours, no matter how bad you are at the game
    Definition of cheese: A list that lets a player beat any non cheesy list, no matter how bad that player is.

I hope you're not implying that either of us are bad.

You think a hydra at 1000 points is fine? How would you play your game against it?

WITHOUT knowing the hydra would be there?

Glavas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I like the fact that with your opp's army you can tell that when they made their list they sat it all up and then took what was remaining of their points in order to get there core units lol.

And honestly, the store that I have always played in has always had people bringing tournament style armies to the table for either game, and in most situations they would make sure to try to use their rules to the best of their ability, however I would assume this is because the ones of us who have played there for a long time were used to having tournaments every other week. However when some one new came to the store most people people would normally change their lists in order to me more friendly, I think it really just (as said before) boils down to your gaming club.

Now I would cut your friend some slack since I know that when me and my best friend take FRIENDLY armies, it generally ends in a board wipe on either side by about turn 3-4. So perhaps you have simply shown to your friend that you are simply competitive as well and he brought an army to combat that.
    Last edited by Thyhadras; November 29th, 2009 at 00:44.
    Slaanesh, god of the beer goggles

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

tourneys let the real players shine. the ones who want to fight against players who they feel can provide a challenge. it helps to seperate the good from the average. tournaments propvide more goods than negatives. just ahve a look in any other hobby/sport.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Hi all.
    IF a game is developed to be used for ballanced competative play, tournaments and narrative driven play ALL enhance the gameing experiance.

Unfortunatly GW PLC uses the games simply as a marketing aid.

WH and 40k are not balanced enough to allow all playstyles to be used in conjunction.

So it fall on the players to play with like minded individuals.
    And as most tournament player are of a similar mind set ..I can not see a real problem.
    (Other than lackluster game support from GW PLC.)

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

Plc?
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast