WH40K Teaching GF to play? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Teaching GF to play?

Hey Everyone,

I was thinking of attempting to teach my GF how to play 40k today. I don't think she'll up being seriously interested in it, but I'm hoping to make her see what a fun and interesting game it can be.

So any suggestions on how to break down so its' really easy to learn and have fun? I figure we'll play and I'll introduce Shooting and Assaulting and all the skills that relate to the situation as the game progresses.

Also, I think I'll stick with Footsloggin' AOBR 500pts armies.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

From my personal experience, girlfriends and girl mates have always said wow, thats so cool! But have no real interest in playing. However, i do know of a few girls who play so yeah, it is possible, but odds must be something like 1 in a million lol. Anyway, the way i'd teach someone is to break it down using two squads of guys. One of 30 Ork Boys and a squad of 10 Space Marines. Then explain each turn. Basically keep it simple, show her the gaming aids GW has given i.e. Strength vs Toughness Table, BS table etc

My Arena Champions: Kharn'eth The Bloodcleaver and Gorzag Iron Jaw

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I'd steer clear of teaching her this unless she asks to. If you want her to understand the game, play a game in the same general area as her. For example, I have taken my ex (when we were together) and also my current girlfriend along to the shop where I buy my minis. I made sure that there would be games going on, and while I didn't participate, I was able to show her what the game was like.
    My current girlfriend loves my models, especially my elves with their two massive dragons. The grim universe of 40k doesn't interest her. She likes the more accessible fantasy realm. She hovered around a table where the Empire was battling it out against an army of Dark Elves while I bought dice and some paint.
    When I tried to explain some of the more technical points of the game to her, like why I thought that a particular charge might be a bad idea etc. she sort of brushed me off. But when I told her that the Imperial army represented the forces of Talabecland and told her the story of the city and also a brief synopsis of the Dark Elf Sundering, she seemed very entertained.

Girls don't really like to play strategy games (sweeping generalization) and if they do, they don't want to play wargames (another sweeping generalization). Boys have it hardwired into their brains to be warriors and protectors. It's why we like things like sports, adrenaline rushes, and war-play (generalization again). Girls are more into things like art, music, looking good, and gossip (more generalizations, plus, I don't really understand how girls spend their free-time without getting bored).

It's cool that she's accepting of your hobby. Don't swamp her with it.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

More girls play than you guys think... they're just smart and try not to associate with the average wargamer.

When I was dating my previous girlfriend, she was extremely interested in the models. We even had a couple of painting sessions together. I'm pretty certain that had we continued dating and continued painting and doing hobby-related things, she would have been interested in giving it a shot. That might be a good method to get your girlfriend into it; the aesthetics of the game are what get all of us into the game originally, so try showing her models and get her painting or putting stuff together instead of playing right off the bat. The rules can seem cumbersome and complicated at times (probably because they are) so can be a big turn off if there isn't already interest in the models or background.

Last thing to remember is that tabletop wargaming isn't everyone's cup of tea. It takes a certain type of person to really get into it, so I would recommend just exposing her to it and seeing if she wants to get into it. Don't force her into it or try and put pressure on her to learn the rules, buy an army, or play some games. She's either interested, or she's not. Even if she's not interested in playing the game, she may still be interested in watching, or reading the fluff, or even putting together and painting the models. There are many facets to the hobby, and she may not be interested in the gameplay itself.

If she does end up being interested in learning the actual game, definitely keep it simple. Don't overwhelm her the the multitude of special rules that come into play. I would try the Assault on Black Reach scenario and rules before anything, don't add anything to them, and don't play to win. Explain each step of the game clearly and without adding too much detail. Show her the dice to roll, explain why she has to roll those dice. Make her little cheat sheets with basic details, like turn sequence or what her models' weapons do. K.I.S.S. (not the way you want it!) is the best rule to live by: keep it simple stupid.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not, I repeat, do not bring your girlfriend to your place of gaming unless it is genuinely something she wants to do.

I keep my gaming lives and social lives separate, for a variety of reasons. One of the largest being that I have never in my long tabletop/pnp gaming career come across a "girlfriend" that was anything other that was massively irritating. (I'm not a grognard womanhater either, I've been happily taken for three years now.)

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with "girl" gamers. They exist, albeit rare. But there is a massive difference between a "girl" gamer, and a "girlfriend" gamer. The latter is one of the worst things to happen to any gaming group.

If she's interested, she'll let you know. Don't bring her to the store to watch you play. You don't want to be that guy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Why is girl in quotes? :p

I got my last boyfriend into the game by comparing it to the computer games he plays and saying if we both started armies at the same time we could play against each other, then again he was rather competative

I just showed him what it was about and we would paint together. If she isn't interested in it though, it's probably not a good idea to press the issue. Sometimes partners aren't the best people to play against

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

As hilarious as your suggestion is, that kind of thing isn't appropriate for LO topics. Please keep your language clean in the future. Cheers. -AFG//
    Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; December 7th, 2009 at 02:11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

you really have to want to play 40k to let yourself try to understand the plethora of rules

best way would be to get her into the models by showing her all of the different armies on GWs website

if the models dont interest her then the gameplay definitely wont

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I find that getting girls involved in the hobby, or relly any other male dominated field in pretty much anything is much like picking up girls (yes I am 100% serious guys stay with me). It all comes down to three sepearate stages

1. Attraction

2. Comfort

3. Seduction

First of all you need to have the initial attraction with said girl, that initial spark of interest that will preliminarily draw her into the hobby. This will usually be something more to the fluff, painting or modelling side of the hobby for the reasons before stated. Without this any attempts are basically useless.

Next of all is the comfort stage. Here you need to establish a general comfort with the hobby, like you gents wereas before suggesting. Bring her down to gaming days at stores sit back and watch some games with her, don't get too wrapped up in any technical stuff of gaming asthetics just sit back maybe bring her over to help you with soome painting. Don't be too aggrssive but there is absolutely no chance she will start to play the game until she's at least somewhat comfortable with it.

Lastly is the final step, seduction. Now it's used in slightly different context here than usual but what you want to do at this stage is finally make your big move and ease her into the game. Don't get wrapped up with the huge rants and mathammering your perfect list, let her choose what she wants to play with. After all the whole pount of this endeavour is to get her into the hobby, not the time to prove how dominent you are in something she's never done before.

And for the ove of god do not, I repeat do not try and force her into anything, all that's ever going to get you is flared tempers and broken hearts.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I fully agree with what Mr. Biscuits said. And it's not only true for bringing a girl into the game. It works on everyone. That three step process also works outside of gaming

I also agree with Lost Nemesis, because it seems we were in similar spots.

However, I disagree with Bathurst. Taking a girlfriend to the store is cool, and you might not be "that guy". I know the type of person that he's talking about, I've seen it happen, and been on the receiving end. It's the lowest level of nerd-dom in the world.
    THAT GUY brings in the girl who's way out of his league, just to show how manly he is to all the other gamers. She, meanwhile, sits around disinterestedly or bashes the games/gamers or just annoys the living hell out of everyone with her incessant questions or over-the-top girliness. If she's doing the latter, it should be a sign to ditch her, because she's just trying to get a rise (no pun) out of the other guys in the shop. At any rate, THAT GUY is a pain in everyone's rear. I have funny stories about THAT GUY, but I won't share them here.

How do you avoid being THAT GUY? Make sure that you're not taking her to the shop just to say "hey everyone, look at this girl I found!" and keep the public displays of affection to a minimum. Secondly, make sure that she knows where she's going. Nothing will fully prepare you for the idiocy that can be a game-store, but at least make sure that she knows a little about the hobby- that should help cut down on the "stupid" questions. And make sure that the girl knows how to act around your friends. This isn't a prom afterparty- attempting to turn heads in a gaming store is an act in redundancy: we'll already be oggling, and YOU (the girl's S.O) should know not to get too offended.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast