WH40K Player rankings - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Player rankings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Player rankings

I am going to start a player ranking system with my local play group, who play 1-3 games each per week.
    The idea of this is that people can play as many games as they wish, as often as they wish, and against whoever they wish, and not have an unfair advantage against players that dont play as often, or future player additions to our playgroup.

All players start with 100 points.
    The winner of a game will be able to "steal" 1 point from the loser.
    So for the first game with 2 players on 100, the winner will go up to 101, and the loser down to 99.

However, there will be bonuses for a person with a lower ranking if they defeat a player with a higher ranking...
    Say for example, one player is on 112, and the other player is on 97.
    If the person with the higher rank wins, then they will go up to 113, and the loser down to 96.
    But if the person with the lower rank wins, then they will be able to take an additional point for every 5 points difference in ranking.
    So they will steal 1 point, plus a bonus 3 points (as there is 15 points difference), taking their score up to 101, and the loser will drop from 112 down to 108.

Advantages of this system...
    - Easy to keep track of.
    - Players can play as many games as they like.
    - Players can play against whoever they like.
    - The average score will always be 100.
    - New players coming into the playgroup will start at 100, so they are right on the average.
    - Good players wont seek to play bad players all the time, as there is a large cost for a loss.
    - Bad players wont complain about playing against good players, as there is a chance they can massively boost their ranking.
    - Players wont get too far ahead in the ranking, or too far behind, so it keeps it competitive.
    - Due to the nature of this raking system, only the last 12-20 games are going to have a significant effect. So if a player plays terribly for the first 50 games, but develops their ability, with a few wins they will find themselves quickly getting back up to average, and their previous less experienced play wont hinder them.

Any comments and criticism are very much appreciated.

Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really liking this idea. I might see if I can get this going at my gaming club
    WH 40k Armies (W/L/D):
    Tyranid: 2250 Points of Awesome (5/4/1)
    Necrons: 1000 Points (4/0/1)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

What would happen if a player were to fall below 0? This is a serious question, I know a person who had played for years, and hadn't ever won, (he could have beaten first time players but they're usually kids and get coached by older players, he was at the average age for my group -mid teenage years).

But yeah, what would happen if someone were to fall below a ranking of 0?

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin vanrooyen View Post
    What would happen if a player were to fall below 0? This is a serious question, I know a person who had played for years, and hadn't ever won, (he could have beaten first time players but they're usually kids and get coached by older players, he was at the average age for my group -mid teenage years).

But yeah, what would happen if someone were to fall below a ranking of 0?

The Emperor Protects
    Well, there are 2 different options.

1. The player goes to a minus score. If a player has -20 and plays against a player with 180 and wins, it will bring them back up to 21 points and the other player down to 139.

2. Make the starting score 200 points, or 500 points, or 1000 points.

If a player is seriously that bad that they can lose 100 games in a row, then maybe they need to take up a different hobby or else have someone give them some advice on their army lists and tactics.
    Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs1987 View Post
    If a player is seriously that bad that they can lose 100 games in a row, then maybe they need to take up a different hobby or else have someone give them some advice on their army lists and tactics.
    He was stubborn, he quit the hobby a while ago though. And by stubborn i mean he stuck with 40k through all his losses, and ignored advice.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin vanrooyen View Post
    He was stubborn, he quit the hobby a while ago though. And by stubborn i mean he stuck with 40k through all his losses, and ignored advice.

The Emperor Protects
    Ok.

But yeh, the problem can be solved simply by running the score into the minuses, or else having everyone start at a number of points greater than 100.
    Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

+ Reply to Thread