Other An Interview with You, the Wargamer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

An Interview with You, the Wargamer

After reading through several threads on this forum about people's various experiences in the hobby, I thought a cool thing to have would be a thread where we could all tell the general story of our wargaming...how the hobby we all share is unique to each of us, and what it means to you and I as players, modelers, and painters. So I drew up the following questions, and I'm hoping this catches on and people answer them on the thread.

Copy and paste the questions, and answer away. I hope you enjoy it!

1. Name (or username) and location.

2. How did you get started in wargaming?

3. Are you primarily a gamer, or more into painting and modelling, or perhaps both equally?

4. Which games do you play? What is your primary game?

5. Tell us about your greatest and / or proudest achievement in the hobby.

6. What is your favorite model? What's your best painted or converted model?

7. Do you play more on a casual level, or in tournaments?

8. What are the best and worst experiences you've had in gaming?

9. What are some wargaming websites that you really like?

10. What should we know about you as a wargamer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start.

Ben T. (Tekore on most forums). Durham, NC

I got sick a few years ago, and was looking for a relaxing, low stress hobby. Painting army men sounded like fun, and soon I was hooked! I remember seeing the cover of the Bretonnian book from Warhammer Fantasy in a storefront, and thinking that I really liked the look of the Knights...one thing led to another, and I've never regretted a thing!

3. Are you primarily a gamer, or more into painting and modelling, or perhaps both equally?

I got into the hobby to paint and model, but I have grown to enjoy playing games as well, and do so quite successfully. If forced to choose, I suppose I'd go with painting, but only by a bit. I think I'm a good all around wargamer.

4. Which games do you play? What is your primary game? What armies do you have?

I have armies for Warhammer 40K, Warhammer Fantasy, Hordes, and Warmachine. WFB, however, is my main game. I get a few games of 40K in a year, and very little of the Privateer Press games.

My armies are:

Warmachine - Khador
    Hordes - Trollbloods
    40K - Raven Guard, Imperial Fists
    Fantasy - Bretonnians, Dark Elves, Beastmen

Wow. Finishing a fully painted Raven Guard army was a big moment for me, and my Dark Elves are looking pretty good as well. On the gaming side, any tournament where I get top sportsmanship and painting scores makes me pretty proud.

I also run a Fantasy tournament each year in Durham, NC, called Grail Quest. It's at www.thebigbluewaaagh.com/grailquest. It's been a big success, and is something I'm proud of.

My favorite model is the Harbinger of Menoth from Privateer Press. I've owned it for years, and haven't had the nerve to paint it yet. The painted models that I'm most proud of are my Dark Elf army, as I managed a unique and good looking paint scheme universally across a large army.

I'm very much a tournament player, as those are the events I'm best able to schedule around my work, as compared to weekday night games. I also enjoy playing to the best of my ability and challenging myself.

Best - I think the best experiences I've had in games are those cinematic moments that come from throwing caution to the wind, like a lowly Scout Sergeant charging and killing Abaddon in close combat. The greatest thing I've gotten from the hobby are the people I've gotten to know, near and far, through the game.

Worst - Rude and unfriendly gamers ruin my experience. I've had a few just outright hostile opponents, especially in tournaments, and they can really flush my day. However, I've found that these folks tend to work themselves out of the scene, so it's worked out in the long run.

One of the first sites I came across, and one of my absolute favorites, is Librarium Online. It's friendly and helpful. I'm also a regular reader of Warseer, although I don't post there much. I have my own blog, The Quiet Limit of the World, at quietlimit.blogspot.com. Also, a great site for the North Carolina and surround community is www.thebigbluewaaagh.com.

I'm a perfectionist with my own play, but I think the most important thing in a game is for both players to have a great time. I'm constantly friendly and cracking jokes at the table, or at least I try to be that way. I'll almost always give you the benefit of the doubt.

Tekore

Last edited by Tekore; February 2nd, 2010 at 17:21.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

I like talking about myself...here we go...

James, Chester UK

A friend introduced me to D&D in around 1987, then Heroquest- and from their I learnt about GW- soon afterwards a GW store opened up in my local city and I bought my first ruleset- WHFB 3rd edition

Painting, I rarely game, much to my regret

See above, none! I've always been more interested in WHFB until fairly recently when the speed and ease of play of 40k seems more attractive to me- I also own a few different Warhammer Historical rulebooks- Legends of the Old West/High Seas, Trafalgar, WAB and Great War and i'm collecting some things for them too.

The armies I own are:

WHFB: Dwarfs, Empire, High Elves
    40k: IG, Emperors Children CSM, Eldar, Orks
    WAB: Early Imperial Romans
    Great War: Early War BEF and Imperial Germans

Managing to collect several largeish, fully painted armies is a source of pride for myself.

I have no idea...its been a long day at work...I do like all of the Dwarf Lords.

Casual, I wouldn't know where to start with tourneys

No bad ones, its all been splendid- a source of constant joy for me.

LO is the only one for me!

I'm not your typical wargamer (but then who is?) and I actually suck at wargaming- but i'm a nice opponent
    Last edited by Sir Theobold the Lame; February 2nd, 2010 at 19:14.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Omegoku Ireland

Back when I was 12, Memnoch found a leaflet advertising 40k. The decision was made to get into the hobby.
    My brother and I got the 3rd Edition Starter pact, I got Marines and he got Dark Eldar. Memnoch picked up some Marines too.

I seem to spend more time painting and assembling these days, I get a game in every month or 2. Back when we started I would easily play 2 games or more a day, everyday we didn't have school.

40k is my primary game. I have never stopped playing it.
    I have a Dark Elf army for WFB but haven't gotten to use it in over 3 years
    I have played Mordenheim, Necromunda and GorkaMorka. All of which were fun and brief.

Keeping the hobby going for over 12 years, through a recession, the birth of my Son, Moving house twice and getting married

I love the Techpriest Enginseer model, he is my most recently painted but I've wanted him for years.
    I love the Deathwatch marines too.
    I converted an Ordos Xenos Inquisitor from Commander Azrael of the Dark Angels, giving him Cortez(?) warhammer and a deathwatch bolter. I then Green stuffed some glasses on him.

I am very much casual gamer, playing for fun and for fluff.
    Played in one tournament, wasn't much fun so I never tried again.

Best: dunno
    Worst: Getting Sun stroke from painting Termagants in the summer heat. Took a few months to be able to look at them without feeling quezy
    Lib online only
    Fluff is my favourite, keeps me going between games
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

Simon (xbanditsx). Boston, MA.

I had an older cousin who played 2nd edition Chaos Marines and he introduced me. I painted sporadically for a long time until 4 years ago when I got seriously into 4th edition 40k with a good friend.

The vast majority of my hobby time was painting only until about 2 months ago when I stumbled onto a local Warmachine group. Now I play there once a week and paint in my free time.

4. Which games do you play? What is your primary game? What armies do you have?
    I play Warhammer 40k, Fantasty, and Warmachine. Warmachine is my primary army. I have a small Tau army, Crimson Fists, Wood Elves, and Khador.

I get a big smile anytime anyone at the store tells me they like how I've painted my models.

My (current) favorite model is Jeremiah Kraye. The best model I've ever painted is a toss up between a few - The Butcher, a Sons of Orar veteran, or a Crimson Fists veteran.

I've only played in one tournament, so I'd have to say casual. I would enjoy playing in more tournaments but haven't had the opportunity yet.

I can't think of any horrible experiences I've had. The best one would be when I found the Warmachine group that I play with now because I had really wanted to play.

LO is my go-to site but I also post stuff on the Ammobunker. I read a lot of blogs too, my favorites being my own (stuck-between-stations.blogspot.com), REINFORCEMENTS (tpcreinforcements.blogspot.com), and From The Warp (fromthewarp.blogspot.com).

I'm horrible at playing wargames.
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Lewis Botting, therefore Lewbot1. Wales, Near Abergavenny

Dad painted and assembled Ships as a kid, Grandad kept painting ships, when I was 10 I got my first models, a box of roman legionairres around 2 cm tall... I learnt to paint small things first which was hard when doing detail. when I saw Warhammer 40k models I was 11 Played with Older edition rules as they were cheaper. Powercreep and simplification of rules began. I vowed not to return until rules got better again. Sold my Marines and started WHFB with Lizardmen who I've had ever since.

I'd love to game more but current constraints (time mainly) prevent me from gaming as often as I'd like :/

Ex 40k Marine player, Current WHFB player with Lizardmen.

Finishing my 2000pt Lizardman army in under a year, Going with my friend on a solo wargaming/drinking weekend to Warhammer World and Games day!

Ancient Stegadon with an Engine of the Gods, for those who don't know its a giant Dinosaur with epic killing power

Casual, dont have time for tourney play but I would like to!

Routing over 50% of a skaven 2000pt army in one turn has to be my best moment, My worst was seeing a night goblin with 1 wound left, hack down my dragonslayer who still had full wounds

Librarium Online

I have a deep hatred for current watered down 40k rules and over powered armies... I don't hate 40k players though I just pity them for their lack of knowledge of how it used to be! Other than that I'm a pretty nice guy
    Last edited by lewbot1; February 2nd, 2010 at 20:52. Reason: forgot to add my location :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

8people, England

My two best friends in high school got into it after on of their brothers played Orcs. They both picked two of the elf races and I was allocated the Dark Elves - apparently they fit me the best - lol!

All three interest me greatly I haven't played very many games but I enjoy them a lot. Due to my condition I cannot paint and model for very long.

Fantasy, 40k, War of the Ring and Hordes. Primarily Fantasy - I only have one 40k army and have yet to assemble a proper army for War of the Ring - Hordes I have stuff for but find it tricky to get into.

Making Mr Fuzzbutt, the Cygor for new Beastmen, he's going in a shop window

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, is the one reason I am considering Warriors of Chaos. I have very little painted and don't believe I am very skilled. I like how my Zoanthropes look though.

Casual all the way

Best have been playing with friends, worst have been playing with previous partners, lol!

I only visit LO

I'm a crazy cripple who collects dice - I treat all my dice and models with a respect and get rather possessive if another player tries to pick them up or take them to use without asking. I hate it when people do that!
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Tyler Stone. Harrisburg area, PA, US

Saw an ad in Boyslife featuring a Black Templar Landspeeder. Got online to look at the site, and was going to play 40k. Then I was at my best friend's house and saw the old Lizardmen/Brettonia WHFB starter. We got the models out and played some games, and I was hooked. It took a long time though before I could really play a game, as I was only 9 and working with limited funds.

Both. Sometimes I get on a kick and start painting everything I can get my hands on. Other times I convert. When I have time, I eat up the opportunity for a game.

WHFB, WH40K, BFG, Inquisitor. Primary game is certainly WHFB.

My tournament wins, but also all the times that I've been complimented on a conversion or paint job.

Currently my favorite would have to be my Dragon Ogre Shaggoth. They just look awesome. My best painted model (after Shaggy) is my Dragon Mage, and my best conversion is my mobile-shrine Dreadnaught

My group of friends all play against eachother as practice for tournaments, I'm a very competitive player.

Best: megabattles. I love the unity within the teams and the sheer epic scale of it all
    Worst: every time I've played a standard 40k mission, unfortunately.

LO is really the only one I've stuck with.

I consider myself a bit of a veteran, depsite my age, and I love to help people to improve in whatever aspect of the hobby they enjoy. If you play against me, I will be trying to table you, but I'm not a WAAC player- I want to make friends and keep people in the game. I take a laid back approach to my gaming, and while it's a big part of my life, it's certainly not the center of it.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

This seems somewhat interesting... I like everyone else's' responses thus far!

Brett (aka Deadstar_MRC). I say I'm in Adelaide in South Australia even though I live about 40kms from there.

I believe we borrowed some White Dwarf magazines from a friend, back around the time when the Tau were first being released. And something about the Tau must have resonated with me, even though I also liked the look of the Chaos Marines (It may have helped that one of the first battle reports I read involved the Night Lords...)

Definitely more of a painter and modeller. Something about me demands that I only play with a fully painted army, and as I haven't really ever finished painting an army... I don't manage a lot of games! A lack of opponents doesn't help all that much.

I have started to look in to Warmachine, which may become my gaming stable because I know some people who play it. Though again, I don't really have an army for it yet.

When the first Secret Santa was run here on LO, I was really quite happy with the model I painted (A Bretonnian Damsel on foot). I would be quite proud of my Black Coach if I hadn't taken ridiculously long to finish it... (I'm hoping to have it done in the next few days)

6. What is your favourite model? What's your best painted or converted model?
    I have a Lahmian Vampire I was quite happy with when I finished it that also featured a small conversion. And there's a Techmarine I have lying around somewhere painted in the Sons of LO colour scheme that I also like.

I'm not sure I could handle a tournament.

My lack of gaming means I can't really answer this.

I don't think I really go to any other sites aside from LO. Occasionally I'll swing by the Privateer Press forums, or the GW site - mainly to look at pictures or artwork, or read some fan-written stories.

I think it's the background and the stories that draw me to wargaming rather than the game itself. I prefer writing, painting and modelling over everything else, and kind of see the gaming as just something to do with the models you've collected! (Probably a rather odd view but everyone's different...)
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Simon, aka RealityCheque, from Bedford in the UK

I can't remember which happened first, AT introducing me to 40k or my physics teacher selling a mate Blood Bowl. Either way, I was hooked.

I'm a gamer, I only paint so I have nice models to play with. I'm not very good at it, but I do like putting together an interesting model. Mostly I'm better at planning a conversion than the execution though ;-)

40k first and foremost, but I also play Blood Bowl and Necromunda. Technically I play WFB too, but not for ages as none of our regular crew have armies.

We've 10 people in our gaming group, organising that lot is an achievement and a half ;-)

My favourite model is my Stormlord - it took me ages to paint, but still has a bit of work to do like adding Assault Cannons to the pintle mounts I'm looking forward to painting my biker captain though, it'll be my first proper conversion project.

Casual tournaments really - we take it in turns between a few of us to run a themed series of games, but it's usually in a tournament structure.

Best: Taking out a genestealer with a laspistol equipped juve and giving it an old battle wound
    Worst: Losing a half-squad of Vanguard to 8 IG troopers. My luck was absolutely appalling (every dice coming up a 1 or 2!), but I figure it's punishment for me going into the battle overconfident.

Edit: Oh I suppose I should add to the 'best' bit that I met my missus in GW... lol.

Just LO.

I play to win, because I think anything less is doing my opponent a disservice.
    Last edited by realitycheque; February 3rd, 2010 at 10:26.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by 8people View Post
    I treat all my dice and models with a respect and get rather possessive if another player tries to pick them up or take them to use without asking. I hate it when people do that!
    Damn right, people should leave my bloody dice alone - they might make the luck fall off
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast