Other Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Too Much Terrain? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Too Much Terrain?

How much terrain do you normally play with? When I used to just play with my friends we used quite open tables, with maybe a couple hills and a couple forests, say maybe 1 or 2 terrain pieces for table quarters. Now I'm getting back into the hobby, and in the tournament I just played in and the League I am participating in the tables seem to be chock full of terrain. Like take my game yesterday, there was really only one place to deploy my land raider because there was only one narrow route for it to get around the giant pyramid in the center of the board to my opponents table quarter. This however meant that my rhino and foot slogging termies had to follow behind my Raider, which slowed them down and blocked LOS. Between all the terrain and vehicles my Long range units had seriously inhibited lines of sight. Also all this terrain seems to favour foot slogging units over Mechanized, but everyone says that Mech is the way to go. So I got a couple questions for people to contemplate.

Do you feel that your tables have too much terrain on them?

Does more terrain favour mech or footslogging?

Is there a difference between 40k and fantasy?

How relaxed are you in allowing vehicles to drive through/over terrain pieces, for example a large ruin?

Cheers
    sultansean

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Where I usually play we have 2 large forests, 2 wide hills, and between 4 and 8 low walls or hedges. 4+ cover-saves abound but there is very little LOS blocking and it's hard to get obscured saves for larger vehicles. I guess this is why mech isn't as dominant in my area than others. Usually I have 2-3 places wide enough for chimeras to get through as cover is mutually agreed.

If you are playing with nutty amounts of cover, mech can be at a disadvantage, due to having limited mobility and being melta'd/ CC'd/ dangerous terrained to death, but that amount of cover is almost non-existant everywhere I've played. Generally we go farily harsh on vehicles and terrain. Only flat ground is safe, Anything below half the track height can be driven over but terrain test, anything above half is impassable.

We use less terrain for fantasy so all the big formations don't get screwed over and things like flank charges are actually possible.

MHZ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the past I played with alot of terrain (like 5 smallish buildings and some craters), nowadays I have been playing with a fair bit less, 2 maybe 3 buildings, maybe a couple of craters, good stuff, my nids get shot up if they run over but i have moved to a mostly deep strike/outflanking list with the new book.
    Tyranids W/L/D - 13/4/3
    Vampire Counts - 1/2/0
    Space Marines - 2/0/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

We used to play on very sparse terrain, but now play on a near city fight style board.
    5 GW City buildings, all based. A GW Chaos Ruin, Imperial Chapel Ruin and a few bits and bobs on a 6x4 table means there is room to maneuver vehicles but plently of blocked LoS and terrain for infantry to slog through.
    It makes the fight seem more realistic and bloody, where before it was more like a shooting gallery.
    I love playing my IG in the city, and I've painted them to match in greys
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

With my small group of friends we use 5 small buildings (most of them only one story and ruined) and the battle for maccarage ruins, and rarely a hill. sometimes it feels like we dont use enough terrain but it could also be that we don't play on a cool board
    Repainting Orks not sure how many points yet
    Warriors of Chaos shelved until further notice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

My group follows the 25% rule for terrain. A while back, I determined the actual area covered by all of the terrain pieces and wrote it down as a percent of a square foot to the bottom of the piece (so a piece that is exactly a square foot has 100 on the bottom). Irregularly shaped pieces were estimated by measuring the width at 1" intervals and then getting the average width and multiplying that by the length.

A standard 6x4 table therefore needs 600 terrain points for 25% coverage. We usually take turns picking terrain until we meet or exceed that number.

As the rulebook says, you want to make sure you have a good variety of terrain types to mix. Some should be difficult with little-to-no cover. Some should be area terrain (ruins, jungles, etc.). Some are roads. Some are dangerous (mine fields, etc.). Some are steppes or hills. Some are buildings. And some are just LOS-blocking scenery. After all, if most of your 600 terrain points are spent on buildings, then the board is going to feel very cluttered and favor assault armies. If most of your 600 terrain points is minefields, that's going to heavily favor gunline-style armies.
    Last edited by Krovin-Rezh; February 27th, 2010 at 10:06.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

+ Reply to Thread