How do you feel about Special Characters? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

How do you feel about Special Characters?

How does everyone feel about using Special Characters?
    Personally I find that it is alot more fun creating your own characters and equiping them. Special Characters always seem either overpowered or over costed and i rarely think that it is a justifiable entry in the Codex/army book. most special characters from stories etc. can be created using options already available in the unit entry.

I'm just moaning but are their others who feel the same way?

"Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I agree with you 100%, I find some special characters to be over powered or unfluffy I think they are there for the fun and shouldn't be serious parts of a list. Of course that's just my opinion and I understand that some people would argue that their valid codex entries but I think they should make it a new hero who uses the rules of a current entry. Doesn't seem right Pedro Kantor personally leads 1000pts of Crimson fists to attack, should be his twin brother Fred Kantor or something.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

It does feel, especially with Space Marines, like they are mandatory to play Raven Guard, Crimson Fists etc. I've never liked playing with special characters, generally enjoy painting them though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by alvenom View Post
    It does feel, especially with Space Marines, like they are mandatory to play Raven Guard, Crimson Fists etc. I've never liked playing with special characters, generally enjoy painting them though.
    i agree with this, i have a salamander army but the only way to make them fluffy like salamanders in game was, include Vulkan.

I think where SC add to an army in its character etc there nice additions. However when you see people using them over and over again just because of the power they have i think its just too far.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Was never a great fan, but am slowly coming around to minor characters like Telion, Marbo and the like.
    They are cheapish, fun and are not game changing super warriors.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

I have no problem with special characters because I think they just bring something else to the table. There are a few I think are rediculous but for the most part I really don't mind it.

My Arena Champions: Kharn'eth The Bloodcleaver and Gorzag Iron Jaw

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

It seems that a lot of the posts so far are comppaining about 40k, which is odd considering the marines and guard are the only two armies with viable special characters.
    In Fantasy, characters fill a strange roll. They're expensive, and often they are poorly equipped or too specialized when compared to other models of those type. There are exceptions, like Teclis, but these characters are often far more expensive than those counterparts (Teclis is easily a quarter of an army). With distinction between lords and heroes, it's rare to feel like a King is leading a lowly combat patrol. Furthermore, Fantasy characters don't typically grant army-wide effects or composition changes.
    Special characters in fantasy aren't as broken as they once were, and I don't mind using them or playing against them.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Special character are not going away.The "opponent permission" element is disappearing, and they're also now the way in which armies customize themselves. Its something you're gonna need to adjust to really fast.

Learn to deal with them. They are not invincible. They're taking up larger chunks of your opponents' points. Take advantage of this.

Does anybody realize how unreasonable they sound when complaining about special characters? Your opponent has paid the points and followed the FOC. If its a legal selection in an army, then what's the fuss? Its just another part of the game that we are all playing.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

It's also not like a special character is showing up to deal with a single group of orks. The battle your playing on a table might merely represent the critical point in a much, much larger battle - exactly the sort of place someone like Marneus Calgar might be found. The people I play with don't use many characters, because the games are rarely more than a 1000 points and the near 200 points (or more) some of these characters can cost is just too much. A cheaper HQ allows for more in other force slots. In larger games, I wouldn't care. In fact, I'd rather enjoy killing Typhus again and again.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

744 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by omegoku View Post
    Was never a great fan, but am slowly coming around to minor characters like Telion, Marbo and the like.
    They are cheapish, fun and are not game changing super warriors.
    I think SC like Marbo are one of the bigger problems. There cheap and can be devastating; turning up anywhere and dropping a 5" melta hit for only 65pts. Its in so many guard lists. Its the type of SC that sneaks into lists and becomes over used and not special.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast