WH40K So...how about those price increases? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

So...how about those price increases?

It's the final nail in the coffin for me. I honestly cannot afford it anymore. So its not a matter of a rant here or there--I just can't afford spend money on GW's items anymore, even with online store discount. How many other people are in the same boat now, I am curious.

I'll say this though, a full size army of 1850-2000 points, you can buy a new computer or even the next gen of consoles coming out in 2011. I am sad that this may herald the death of the independent store owners. Parents will rather buy video games for their kiddies, same here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Theres going to be another price hike? Alot of items I see now are almost or in some cases 50% more expensive than they used to be. And I'm hardly one of the older members of LO ( :p )

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Yer in rumour threads is a link apparently its coming June.

I have not stopped buying although i have slowed down a lot! I used to buy stuff monthly but now its about every 3 months or so (only the odd bit not whole armies). When you look at the price of a normal model and think, "its not worth it" then you know its too much.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Oh God... not AGAIN. What the hell are they playing at? Haven't they lost enough customers?

What happened to the old GW? They used to be good, back in the day when you could buy 20 models for £15, now you'd be lucky to get 5.

~ DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Luckily I just need 1 more box of CSM to finish up my last army. As always it is expensive but the prices are getting to be a bit much and I think this is the time when I'll stop buying as well. If the proposed increase is true, then it has been less than a year since that last hike.

You can't really compare to the "good old days" when you would get stuff like 20 of this for half the cost because those models are not of the same quality as the ones now, or even include the same parts. I'm glad the 3 peice models with all the same pose are gone for a increase in cost, but a 25%+ bump for the same models is excessive.

Not only that, but they have been increasing throughout the year too with "new releases" which cost more as they release more. Basic tanks are costing what a Land Raider used to be, and bare bone transports cost what tanks were. Worse still, new plastics are costing more than the pewter ones with minimal additional parts if any. With the MSRP increase, this will inflate the cost buying second hand as well to a price I can't justify for old beat up models.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

I read once in some GW financial report that GW raises prices by 20% in 5 years or so to compensate for inflation. Compensating for inflation makes sense, as we earn more, but it is starting to be a bit excessive in prices. I am refraining from a WFB horde army in favour for more elite armies. I currently play dwarfs, and I think my next army will be chaos warriors with all the upgrades they can carry.

Some site once made a comparison between the GW board of directors and the god-emperor of mankind. 1d4chan I think.
    They sit rotting on their corporate throne, barely showing any signs of life and being fed untold amounts of money every day to sustain them.

This comic seems to be disturbingly accurate at the moment:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately its not just GW who has been raising the price of their kits. Even companies manufacturing scale model kits are having to raise their prices up quite a bit. Most of it is a supply problem, China used to be one of the main suppliers of most of the materials that went into the manufacturing of these kits, but since their own industries have expanded they have decreased the size of these exports which means the price of these materials has gone up quite a bit. Unless these companies begin to use a less expensive materials be prepared for continued increases.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Guarder22 View Post
    Unfortunately its not just GW who has been raising the price of their kits. Even companies manufacturing scale model kits are having to raise their prices up quite a bit. Most of it is a supply problem, China used to be one of the main suppliers of most of the materials that went into the manufacturing of these kits, but since their own industries have expanded they have decreased the size of these exports which means the price of these materials has gone up quite a bit. Unless these companies begin to use a less expensive materials be prepared for continued increases.
    Seriously, though, Games Workshop are going to have to start putting their prices back down again or they're going to find themselves losing customers, and fast. People are going to turn more and more towards Ebay and independent stockists which result in less direct profit for GW.

~ DiW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

It's because their main source of income isn't from model sales anymore.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by 8people View Post
    It's because their main source of income isn't from model sales anymore.
    Thats interesting. Its not from WD is it ? Now THAT is overpriced. 4.00 sterling for a mag that is 66% irrelevant (i only do 40k) and full of their own advertising. Back on topic, i have to confess i probably will keep buying their stuff. While the prices have increased exponentially so has the quality and the sheer amount of extra bits in the new kits. I'm not defending GW, i HATE the way they change the rules of the games every five or six years, but the designers keep bringing out new stuff you just have to have. Somewhere down the line you know a plastic Thunderhawk is coming, and almost every marine player will have to have one. If you think warhammer in all its forms is an expensive hobby, you should try smoking and drinking. And their killing me.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast