WH40K Why inches? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why inches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why inches?

Not that it matters, but it has always bothered me: if GW is a British company, why are the rules written using inches as measurement? I thought everyone except the U.S. was on the metric system. Just curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

I don`t know which is official in UK but everyone I know use the Imperial measurements. I don`t know anyone who knows for example how many kilos a stone. And the women here loose stones rather than kilos when they get slimmer
    Same with my height, when I say I am xxx cm`s they just give that empty look... (i am not British)
    They buy an ounce of tobbacco which is 28 grams even the pack only 25 gramms. The beer comes in pints too (which is an extra 12%)
    British like traditions which is good.

I hope I gave You an answer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrica...United_Kingdom
    Last edited by Kaptin Elwazz; May 27th, 2010 at 14:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link, very informative. Going by that it actually sounds a lot like here in the U.S. They tried to teach us (because it is easier and makes more sense) , but it never took. Works for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably for the same reason that English is the most commonly spoken language worldwide: The nation that it the most economically dominant is the nation that dominates all. Even though it is a UK company, it was the USA that ruled at that time when it came to economics and everything else so it would be natural to appeal to USA customers more than the rest of the world combined. Nowadays with USA collapsing, maybe this will change, but UK isn't in the best shape either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

I'm afraid its not because the US the UK (and thus GW) still uses imperial. Don't forget almost no one in the UK actually wanted to change. Imperial measurements are those that were used in the British Empire, (hence why America still uses them). They are weird, illogical and based on seemingly random things (like an inch is three pieces of corn long), but at least they are ours, part of that shared Anglo-American heritage. Metric system is a European system which is simple, very logical and we had to adopt it. However just because we had to adopt it, doesn't mean we have to like it. Historical events mean many people in the UK view anything invented by the French with a lot of stigma. Most English people (at least of a certain age) approach to loosing the English Imperial system is very similar to their attitude to giving up the £ and adopting the Euro. In primary schools we only teach the metric system and all of our products sold in shops.

When the warhammer system was invented it had not been that long since we had been forced to use the metric ssytem and the vast majority of english people of the age to play warhammer still knew inches far better than cm. By the time battlefleet gothic came along most people had grown up being taught cm at school and that became the measurement.

As time goes on people are grudgingly accepting the metric system, but there are just some things that won't budge, which has resulted in a really weird system. Freman is right, all of our girlfirends will have been taught cm all through their school lives, but ask them their bra size and you'll get a reply in inches. Most people measure:

Small items most people measure in mm or cm (that pencil is 5cm long) but our height in feet and inches (I am 6'2")

Distance we often run in km (my girlfriend just did a 5k run) but car distances in miles (I live 3 miles form work)

Really cold we measure in centigrade (oh its dropped below zero today) but really hot in Fahrenheit (its over 90!) (although that is changing as more people use centigrade)

We weigh ourselves in stone and pounds, but our food (mostly) in grams

Ask any cook to measure a teaspoon of oil and they will get out a teaspoon measure, they will know a tablespoon is 3 teaspoon, but ask them what a cup is (ie 16 teaspoon) and they won't know, that size volume would be measured in ml, litres, or possibly a pint.

We'll buy a 250ml glass of wine, a 30ml shot of vodka, but a pint of beer (or milk)

The size of our houses we still measure in square feet and our land in acres (despite the fact not many people seem to know what an acre actually is), but our furnature is sold in mm and cm

Essentially Freman is right, we like our traditions, we'll change them if we have to, but we'll resist if it was a French idea ;-)
    Last edited by matus; June 3rd, 2010 at 11:53.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x3)

I think " works great as it mostly seems to be based on the 6 times table where as if it was in cm it would be the 15 times tables (2.5 cm to 1" i think)

I think with boards being measured in feet, the game being in " makes sense.

I know my height in cm and feet+" only cos i had to fill out a form online and it showed the two together as it seems most only know one or the other.

I think we like to use the one that sounds better - like mat said with temp in summer and winter. But maybe its linked to knowledge we all know what short and tall is in feet, we all know when its 0 centigrade it could snow!
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Matus summed it up exactly.

I work in the construction industry and builders are loathe to give up Imperial measurements even though we (the officials) insist on metric measurements.

Then again I'd have to think about my height if someone asked me to tell them how tall I was in metres, but I know I am 5 foot eleven/six foot, and I also know my weight in stone not in pounds.

I also insist in drinking my beer in pints

So yeah, we love Imperial measurements in the UK.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matus View Post
    Really cold we measure in centigrade (oh its dropped below zero today) but really hot in Fahrenheit (its over 90!) (although that is changing as more people use centigrade)
    First off, thanks all for the great info, very helpful. As to the above quote, I couldn't help but chuckle to myself that you think zero degrees centigrade is REALLY cold. I live in Minnesota and a 32 degree (F) day in late January/early February would be considered a nice warm up. Anywhoo, how much does a stone weigh, exactly?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

84 (x2)

14lbs, roughly 6.35Kg
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

like an inch is three pieces of corn long
    Historical events mean many people in the UK view anything invented by the French with a lot of stigma.
    The irony is that it was a French man who put the 3 bits of a corn in a line and said its an inch
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast