WH40K The Tyranid FAQ online petition - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

The Tyranid FAQ online petition

Good evening everybody. As im sure your aware by now, the Tyranid FAQ has been released. And we as tyranid players are distraught at the damage that we belive has been done in the FAQ. Therefore a few of us have created this petition and we're hoping that we can get many of you to join our cause, in order that we can make a sirious appeal to GW to fix their decisions. This will also be take to the other major forums, in effort to get support there. Heres what we hope to say;

Calling all Warhammer 40K Players!

In response to GW's recent Tyranid FAQ several of us have gotten together and written up a petition to get the FAQ changed! The three changes we ask for are the changes to Shadow in the Warp affecting psykers in vehicles, Tyranid Primes joining a brood of Tyranid Warriors deploying in a Mycetic Spore and Mycetic Spores needing to be deployed with a brood inside. Here is the Letter:

Dear Sirs;

On behalf of the Warhammer 40,000 players, I am writing to you to express the unhappiness with three decisions in the recent Tyranid FAQ. These three decisions have affected the very framework of how we play our armies. Our army is said to be one of the most balanced codex's released in recent years. We feel that the FAQ has ruined this balance, and this is upsetting.

The three questions we feel need to be changed are about Independent Characters joining broods before deploying in a Mycetic Spore, Shadow in the Warp affecting psykers in vehicles and Mycetic Spores needing to be deployed with a brood inside. I will now write about the implications and suggest changes of each question individually.

Q: If a Tyranid unit takes a Mycetic Spore, can an
    Independent Character join the brood before
    deployment (and hence Deep Strike in with the brood)?
    A: No.

The implications of this text is that Tyranid players are unable to take Tyranid Primes' with normal Tyranid Warriors. Attaching a Tyranid Prime to a brood of Tyranid Warriors is an important strategic asset which we feel has been taken away from Tyranids with this FAQ.

We also feel it is unfair that our Independent Characters are not allowed to join units before deployment in a Mycetic Spore, as many other armies are allowed to do this (such as Space Marines and their Drop Pods).

We suggest that an addition shall be made to the FAQ stating that Tyranid Primes' can join a brood of Tyranid warriors that are taking a Mycetic Spore before deployment (and hence Deep Strike in with the brood).

The second decision we are unhappy about:

Q: Does Shadow in the Warp affect psykers who are
    taking a Psychic test whilst embarked within a
    transport vehicle?

In our beloved game of Warhammer 40,000 vehicles are among the hardest type of unit to take down. Psykers are also quite a difficult unit to play against, due to their destructive powers. An example is the special rule Jaws of the World Wolf. It is extremely good at destroying our Monstrous Creatures, which are the main Vehicle killers and Synapse providers. One of our best ways of killing psykers is making them succumb to the effects of Shadow in the Warp. However, now boarding them in vehicles makes them immune to this asset, as well as giving them protection we can find difficult to break.

Also, many other armies have similar psychic powers such as the Eldar Psychic Hoods. Again this is an unfair, biased FAQ against the Tyranid Codex.

We suggest that the FAQ question shall be changed to:

Q: Does Shadow in the Warp affect psykers who are
    taking a Psychic test whilst embarked within a
    transport vehicle?
    A: Yes.

The final question:

Q: If a Tyranid unit takes a Mycetic Spore, can it choose
    to deploy normally whilst the empty Mycetic Spore
    Deep Strikes on its own?

We feel that this is unfair tactically. Space Marines have the option of deploying empty Drop Pods, what is different about Tyranids? The fact that our broods must deploy with the Mycetic spores limits our tactical flexibility. Against some armies we prefer to not have our models Deep Strike into battle. However, we must now Deep Strike our models. The effects of this increases in Tournaments, where we can not change our list, and therefore puts us at a disadvantage to other armies.

Therefore we propose this to be changed to:

Q: If a Tyranid unit takes a Mycetic Spore, can it choose
    to deploy normally whilst the empty Mycetic Spore
    Deep Strikes on its own?
    A: Yes.

I hope that these suggested improvements will be taken into account, and we all would like to see the FAQ change to the way we suggest. You will find attached the signatures of other Tyranid players who share the same point of view as I.

Yours Truly,

A worried Warhammer 40,000 player.

We hope you sympathise with our efforts, and we would greatly aprechiate it if you decide to support them. You can find a link here http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/changethefaq/

Thankyou for your time.

Last edited by Heirodule; July 2nd, 2010 at 23:48.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

I support this.

Fluffwise I cannot see how being in a vehicle grants you immunity from the shadow in the warp. So you're encased in a steel box, why should that affect your psychic ability and the warp?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Fluffwise the brood is "birthed" in the mysetic spore so those rulings make sense.

Shadow of the warp I agree with. But you can't shoot into a transport either and you don't see people complaining about that despite lots of crew commanders etc being killed in the fluff.

I like the new "no nonsense" style of FAQ. The yes/no answers remove any ambiguity and stop people "word smithing" rules to their favour and endless debate. IMO less IS more.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

The vehicle could be lead lined

Sure a couple of things in the FAQ mean adaptations must be made to some lists, but isn't that what Tyranids are meant to be good at? When the book came out the players of every other army complained it was filthy, and it is a nice, strong book.

I personally have no problems with the FAQ, I've seen much worse and more more ridiculous rulings in other FAQ/Errata pieces but nobody has risen up in righteous fury to petition it.

At least we're not Dark Eldar!
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by 8people View Post
    I personally have no problems with the FAQ, I've seen much worse and more more ridiculous rulings in other FAQ/Errata pieces but nobody has risen up in righteous fury to petition it.
    Theres a first time for everything

To argue our point a little, whilst there are various bad FAQ ruling around, there really arnt any that damage then entire army quite so badly (at least that im aware of)

Its common knowlege that the tyranids big weakness is Mech and that psychic powers are becoming stronger and stronger with every new codex. By stripping us of SitW when in a transport, we're left with no psychic defense at all (excluding deathleaper, who isnt reliable by any means) in a place that is incredibly hard to access and deal with.

Also its quite a sore point that eldar have an almost identicle ruling, except theirs is vastly superior, affecting the entire board and causing perils more frequently. Theres also works on transports. No-body was complaing about this before, but now its gone, fluffwise you have a race who can suppress psychic activity in whole solar systems and across vast areas of space (ie leviathan), but apprently not when your in a metal box on tracks?
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

To play Devils Advocate; there is no such thing as a bad ruling. It is GW's game, the rules are just the rules. There are one we may not agree with, but that does not make them "bad".

Your idea has merit and if you get enough support you may get the attention of the desingers. Good luck.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

LO's resident Yowie Dead Dude Walking's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    272 (x4)

I don't play Tyranids, but all your arguments seem quite reansonable to me.

Good luck with the petition
    -DDW
    <----- Dead Dude's WIP Thread, in all it's pant wetting glory! :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Good luck with your petition, it's good that you are standing up for your cause. I can see how the ruling on SitW would really upset Tyranid players. I have a feeling that they might be moving to specialize which races are dependent on their psyker defenses and which will not be. As it stands (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Tau, Orks, Necrons, and Guard (ignoring the soon to be abolished allied rules) have no psyker defenses. So, although it is a blow for tyranids, if you're a player of one of these races you kind of have to play without any defenses as it is. I play Guard and some Eldar, and pre-faq SiTW really made me think twice about my psyker usage and deployment because of the possibility that the points I spend on psykers can easily be rendered useless against Tyranids. Although GW tends to make some upsetting decisions I agree with Skarsgard, it is GW's game, and therefore their rules. Personally I don't want to let the game upset me that much.

Floating around space finding and converting small planets into biomatter for the fleet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Whilst personally I'm not too bothered about the SitW issue since most of the people I play against either don't use psyker-heavy armies or don't use transports all that often (maybe they'll realise how useful they are sometime...), the lack of being able to birth a squad of Warriors with an Alpha in a Mycetic Spore seems unfair as many armies can have IC's attached to a squad when they're dropped onto the battlefield and, if any of those 3 issues should be rectified, that would take priority.

Strangely enough, I never actually thought about dropping empty Mycetic Spores in the first place so that issue won't affect me, although I can see why it could pose a problem to some list builds.

Either way, as a Tyranid player I shall sign the petition, and even if I wasn't a Tyranid player I'd sign it anyway since I can see where you're coming from and your points are valid.

Main Armies: The Septem Edo Hivefleets || Da Mekanikus of Mek Skagnatz || Clan Skrawlskir of the White Rat || The Eternal Legion of Chlorr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

337 (x6)

I fear there is no hope of GW ever going back on themselves and revoking an FAQ, or contradiciting in a consecutive one.

It is GW stated aim with FAQs only to make clear the wording and intention of thier original texts. They never use them to correct percieved mistakes and rebalence armies, to do that wuld open up a whole can of worms!

Your best hope is that they may listen and change the rules next time they release a codex, but that will be a long time off now!
    Last edited by matus; August 7th, 2010 at 13:04.

+ Reply to Thread