Other Question about games workshop copyright. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

24 (x1)

Question about games workshop copyright.

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place! Feel free to move it mods if it is.

Anyway, I was just browsing the GW site for some new gear, and a thought hit me. GW posts loads of stuff on their website, and its free information. PDF updates, FAQ's, etc.

Anyway, the key part is that we arent allowed to post rules etc from the codex on this forum. Thats fair enough, it makes sense. BUT, we also arent allowed to post statlines of units. However we are allowed to mention what special rules they have, and what those rules do (fleet, nightvision, etc)

What strikes me as odd, is that of these facts, on the GW store it actually freely lists the stat lines of all units. I dont understand how GW have an issue with us mentioning specific stat lines of units on here when they have it all freely available on the site. It seems really bizzare and senseless.

Anyway, just a little thing I noticed that seems really odd. If anyone knows why GW are against this one thing in particular, please enlighten me as to their reasoning, as its really bugging me in the back of my brain!

2. Remove Advertisements

Prowling LO, looking for fresh meat.
    3 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

476 (x8)

It's their copyright, they decide how it can be used.

To be fair, GW are only going to chase websites if a significant proportion of their rules is put on a website. Discussing a rule or a unit and mentioning particular phrases is purely discussion, and no one is really trying to do significant harm to GW's product. Sometimes a quote is necessary for rules clarification, for example. This would fall under "Fair dealing" (UK) or "Fair Use" (US) clauses in copyright law.

But really, we don't need to post stat lines - we might mention a particular model's WS/S/etc, but the whole thing is unnecessary unless you're making your own unit.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread