WH40K Mephiston!!!??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mephiston!!!???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mephiston!!!???

We've probably heard this before... but it was new news for me.

I'm a deathguard player by trade and i just finished playing a game agains some blood angels player running Mephiston as his HQ... and i mean. I have to ask.

What were the R&D team thinking!?

The game resulted as a draw so i'm not bitching. I have no problem with other races having powerful HQs ie. Swarmlord or nightbringer.

Just seems beyond broken to me. I mean, at least the nightbringer has a high point cost to boot.

Opinions?

*stats edited out due to copyright infringement*

Last edited by Rabbit; February 10th, 2011 at 02:22.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Also no invulnerable save, can't be put into units, can't ride in a transport (I think?) and doesn't give your army anything other than a monstrous creature in infantry clothing. Honestly, I was only surprised by him once, every other time I just fill him full of plasma and las, he dies just like a trygon. As a result, I don't consider him broken at all, you might as well say that Trygons and Carnifexes are overpowered, really.
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

His stats haven't changed much since 2nd edition (I distinctly remember using him to take out Abaddon and a full bodyguard of terminators on his own in a single turn!), but in the latest codex he now suffers from not being an Independant Character so the best you can do now is surround him with people so he gets a 4+ cover save or hide him behind tanks all game. Even then if you survive his hits then he's go no defence against power weapons :/

Oh and he's 250 bloody points! And you think that's not a high cost? 0_o

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

250 points...
    You can get Ahriman for that...Typhus and Azrael for less and what, the Swarmlord and Abbadon are about 30 points more and all of them are better at one thing he does in some way (killing things in CC or psychic support) and all of them have some kind of non armour save and can at least join some units. I'd even pay one hundred and ten more points for the Nightbringer instead of getting Mephiston, at least he gets an invulnerable save against the flights of krak missiles and the likes that are going to be flying his way (which is all people will throw at him since bolters just bounce off his necrodermis).

Also, he'll probably be killed by a bunch of marauding Wyches or Genestealers even if he does strike before them (and manages to shrugg off the Broodlord's Hypnotysm or the somethingabyte's agonizer).

I suppose you could buy him his own personal Land Raider...but that just makes him even more expensive.
    Last edited by Karrain; February 6th, 2011 at 10:37.
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

The only time I've tried him I surrounded him with TH/SS terminators and walked him up the board - then I messed up something (can't remember what) and he died but they did take the entire 2k enemies worth of shooting for 4 turns, which I guess is a good thing? lol
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    The only time I've tried him I surrounded him with TH/SS terminators and walked him up the board - then I messed up something (can't remember what) and he died but they did take the entire 2k enemies worth of shooting for 4 turns, which I guess is a good thing? lol
    1000pts a side.

Meph took a couple of wounds on the first turn and the tac squads backing him up got pasted, then the following turn he jumped beyond his terminator bodyguard and they rolled badly to catch up. He only saw turn 3 because I stopped shooting at him when he went to ground.

Old DE glass-cannon mech, 9 plasmacannons and 10 dark lances at 1k - just about the worst place to get caught without a good invulnerable/cover save.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

Was it only 1k? I'm sure i had more than that... either way, you need something to protect him as on his own he's a lord of being dead.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still, the ability to confer himself as jump infantry, strike at strength 10 without suffering any form of disadvantage. Ability to gain perferred enimy. He has five wounds.
    But yea, i'm by no means saying he's undefeatable. And other HQ's like Typhus, Ahriman, etc may be better than him in one respect or another, but as a whole, he's 'Vastly' over par in his points area... And i'm a chaos player. My troops are 23 points each, a 250 point HQ is nothing.

I just think if his point cost lay somewhere in 310 he would have been fine.

Because he can go to ground and take means for cover saves, so a good player 'will' bury him in combat and use him to sweep your team. And with his ungodly toughness 6 and 5 wounds, seemingly any amount of stuff you throw at him and his 2+ armour save and the ability to assault you on his second turn nine times out of ten. he just becomes a two hundered and fifty point Everything killer. Tanks, elites, infantry, shooting (with his 2+ save) admittedly short of plasma and las shots. But you still need to dedicate those shots at him, but he can always just be hid in any amount of cover. So... kinda all thinks considered.

At least a carnifex is only 160 points. And is initiative 1 without living battering ram or adrenal glands.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I take it Meph has a force weapon.

I play Thousand Sons so not having an invulnerable save is anathema to me. As special characters go he's good, but with some downsides that undermine his supposed godlyness. I admit that once in Cc it will take the likes of Carnifex (I think that's the plural), C'tan and Greater Daemons to kill him but the 'once in Cc' part of the sentence is the problem. Even if he can get into assault turn 1 ten out of ten times all it takes is hormies with toxin sacs or other troops with poisoned weapons to take him down. He's resilient but vulnerable on so many levels, the problem is that his vulnerability is usually overlooked. Also, if assaulting a carnifex brood you have to consider what will happen if the fexes survive (at least 4 str 9 MC attacks coming back your way) or what will hapen if they are all killed. Suddenly Mr Mephiston is staring down the maw of a Tyranid army, even T6 and a 2+ armour save can't weather that. On the other hand, he's going to take a lot to kill him from that Tyranid army and is difficult to hold up in combat with all but the largest units of troops. Again, upsides and downsides. And yes, I also play Tyranids.

Also gift of chaos, if it worked, would give us heretics a laugh...at least Ahriman would earn his points back.
    Last edited by Karrain; February 7th, 2011 at 06:28. Reason: Is this thread jinxed or something? Every time I post on it I make spelling mistakes.
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, he does have a force weapon, as well as his psychic hood which as a thousand son player you wouldn't be too happy about. 50% of ahrimans spells become default. And if you're unlucky you may see turns without casting.

Another thing, more to do with the fluff than anything else is like. Who WAS mephiston!? He was some brother captain that beat the Black rage... Compared to Ahriman, Typhus, Kharn (although i have a few problems with him too) and ABBADON. Who are the heralds/ avatars of Gods. Or Maneus Calgir,Chapter master, dont stand up to him. And Why?

I mean, my plauge toughness 5 doesn't count if he's shot at by anything strength 8 and up. I just wanna know where the balance went. And why's Lysander less tough than Mephiston?

It just seems with hjis stats, psychic hood, force weapon, three psychic powers, the powers he has, his ungodly amount of wounds and who he's meant to be in the universe. Just seems dumb.

Although i do understand they tried to give him downsides. Anything AP2 or less is an instant wound, he has no protection from perils, power and force weapons. But with his WS and toughness aqnd his advantages. soooo many options he has just override them.

sorry if i've pissed someone off. But he's one of two instances (Kharn) that i think they needed to balance a little. 30-50 points, or have to pay for those psychic skills, or something would have done it. Then he's not in league with people like typhus and ahriman. Because at his current point value, that's who he should be equal to.

And yet he's vastly superior, in almost every way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast