Other Biggest Pricing Injustices - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

Biggest Pricing Injustices

I'm hoping this is the right place for this, but sorry if it isn't.

As the title states, this was a thread enquiring into peoples opinions on GW's biggest injustices of pricing. We all know that the models are unfairly and inconsistently priced, but I was seeking peoples' ideas of these biggest inconsistencies.

To begin with my thoughts:
    Chaos space marine and space marine bike squads are £25.
    A unit of chaos knights is £15

But, for £10 less, you get two more models, all of the models are slightly bigger, and you get many, many more options/spares.

What are other peoples ideas on th ebiggest injustices.

adamwelton "Bliss-giver is right as always."
    "Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I laughed when I saw they wanted five quid for a little tub of sand.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Dark Riders £15 gets two mostly plastic models
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always assumed the prices were more to do with the in-game strength of the model or set, rather than a cost based or market based price.

To me, this is why a 5x Terminator squad costs double what a 10x Tactical squad does. Or why a Big Mek costs $5 more than a Snikrot model... same basic size, etc. Probably a very similar cost to produce... but the Big Mek has more in-game strength... so is priced accordingly.

But I have no facts or evidence to base this upon...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x2)

Yeah, tools, basing stuff etc. is very expensive, especially for what is just a rock or pile of sand that you can literally pick up off of the ground for free.

Some models do just seem randomly expensive.

I have always assumed the prices were more to do with the in-game strength of the model or set, rather than a cost based or market based price.
    I know exactly what you mean, it's especially true with character models, and certain units from the same army.

Another point I'd like to make is that the thousand sons aspiring sorcerer works out at about £3, when comparing the kit with the noise marine kit which provides the same number of part metal models, minus the sorcerer. However, to buy a nearly identical sorcerer separately costs anywhere around £8-12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it would have to be Mega Armoured Nobz. I'd love to run a few of 'em with my Warboss but it would cost me like 36 quid for a 3 man squad.

Please GW, plastic MANZ!

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

A rat ogre kit, 2 rat ogres in it. 30 euro's for 2 frames! In comparison a kit of dwarf warriors is also 30 euro's and comes in with 8 frames, packed with sturdy dwarven bitz.

By the way bliss-giver, your sig is ignoring another rule of economics; Price elasticity of demand. An X% drop of prices does not guarantee a % increase of sales equal or greater than X. If prices were to drop by 50% ( I believe GW would still nearly make a profit ) would you from that point on start buying twice as much, or just "a bit more", say 25%?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

My only real beefs are the Ogre Gorgers 22.25$ US for ONE not very detailed and kind of lame posed model. And I think a lot of the Imperial Guard stuff is now over priced the box of shock troopers was 30$ US for 20 guys but now it's 25$ US for 10. The battle force at one time had a Leman Russ now you just get a Sentinel and if memory serves me there about the same price.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x2)

I had a similar problem with chaos obliterators, until I found some on e-bay, and know many players who despair over MANz.

Yeah, big models often do seem more expensive when compare to others, I guess that GW work on people expecting them to be bigger than they are.

I know what you mean about my sig, but I didn't have space to write more. You're right of course, it isn't directly proportional, but I was referring more to a drop as small as 10 - 15% or so, even a drop like this would cause me to buy a lot more of their models.

New battle forces, and kits don't seem as good value, and again certain individual models are very expensive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bliss-giver View Post
    I had a similar problem with chaos obliterators, until I found some on e-bay, and know many players who despair over MANz.

Yeah, big models often do seem more expensive when compare to others, I guess that GW work on people expecting them to be bigger than they are.

I know what you mean about my sig, but I didn't have space to write more. You're right of course, it isn't directly proportional, but I was referring more to a drop as small as 10 - 15% or so, even a drop like this would cause me to buy a lot more of their models.

New battle forces, and kits don't seem as good value, and again certain individual models are very expensive.

You know what - I am tempted to trawl eBay for cheap metal deals just to melt down the tin - do you know that tin is £32 per kilo now raw metal form? I am having a chariot designed by Gary Morley and myself (his scultping, my input/ideas, my comission) being cast - net weight is a little under 300 g and its costing £5 JUST FOR THE METAL!

Casting this piece commercially is going to cost me £12 - so I can very well understand why a metal model could cost £30 for something big like a Shaggoth, or heavy like Archaon or Marneus Calgar. However the palstics are incredibly overvalued in many instances, mainly because they probably don't benefit from the sorts of volumes we'd expect for significant volume discounts...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast