Other Your Finecast Experiences - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Your Finecast Experiences

Hi all,

Here is a thread requested on this forum specifically for your Finecast experiences.

Is it good? Is it crap? Is the resin perfect or are you missing a chunk out of a head? Would you rather metal or resin? These are the kinds of questions that you should answer in your experiences.

Post away,

Warlord Vrrmik

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

The quality control of large kits is aweful, i've had to replace 2 and the boxes i were given to replace my miscasts weren't that much better.

As for the individual blisters it depends on the age of the model, stuff sculpted recently or specifically for the new material show either reasonable improvement or detail that was previously unattainable.

For the time being I prefer metal, it's proven it's reliability time and time again and in my erh.. about 8 years in the hobby now long experience i've never had models with parts entirely missing or with gaping holes in them, i've had them with enough flash on you could melt it down and make a squig out of it but it's always been a lot easier to remove than the flash on these resin models.
    Come see my Necrons, Space Marines, Dwarfs, Orks, Goblins and anything else I feel like painting at my blog: http://modelminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Not a successful introduction for me either. I brought a chaplain with jump pack saturday, air bubbles on the boot soles are extensive but part of the front of one boot and part of the right shoulder pauldron were missing completely. None of these defects completely ruin the model, but for the high price of £10.50 I expected a little more quality. On the detail, I thought it was marginally sharper than an unpainted metal chaplain I already have. I certainly have no plans to replace any of my existing metal marines with "not so" Finecast now.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x2)

So far i've had mixed results with the new Finecast resin... I should point out that i am very used to Forgeworld resin.

I have (so far) bought the Eldar Shadowseer, Ork Mek with Kustom Forcefield and the Skaven Warplock Jezales

the biggest issues were wth the jezales, where the rifle barrels were badly missaligned and one of the figures was missin a foot which was clearly due to an air bubble. i've had a chat with my local store and they are happy to take back any problem casts, and replace them.

From what i have seen, the newer the model, the better the resin cast is... which leads me to think that the older master minatures from which the new finecast mouldswere made just arn't compatible with this method. The dark eldar stuff was really nice and i didn't see a single problem on any of those mini's at the shop launch event. these were obviously made with the new finecast method in mind

GW clearly have some teething problems with finecast, and should really have taken a leaf out of the sister (FW) company
    .. the recent eldar shadow spectres were absolutely flawless (i've seen a few different casts). my biggest worry is that many of these issues will never go away using the resin method to cast.. therefore GW are asking their modellers to step up to a whole new ballgame of problems, with a medium that is not as forgiving as the white metal. ok, yes white metal was a bit of a pain to pin, especially with the bigger models... but resin is very fragile, is easily damaged by a craft knife or file.. so the longevity of these minatures for the average gamer is potentially much less.

Most gamers that i know who have FW stuff treat the min's like they are made of glass.. wrapping them all individually... whch doesn't really track for a whole 40k army, even if its just the HQ and elites that your doing it for.

IMHO i think they probably rushed this launch... and there is obviously a reason for this, whatever it is.

i can only hope that they get the teathing problems sorted out pronto so we can all have 'experience' they claim to be able to produce.
    Current Army Status - Chaos - 15000 points, Orks (BadMoonz) - 3000 Points - Space Wolves - 4000 Points, Necrons - 2000 Points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mixed experience as per previous threads

I'm new to modelling GW (only started since March although my son started last year) but was mildly impressed with my Archon in Finecast (But not the extra £1.3o). Was easier than metal to put together & had very little flash, etc to remove. This was easily removed with a knife. All in all a nice model to go with my new Dark Eldar army.

But my son bought a couple of tyrannid models and these weren't to a quality i would call "finecast". They didn't quite fit. The comments on the GW webpage & WD about using superglue to fill in is next to impossible with the GW superglue. I am a novice with greenstuff so haven't tried and to be honest if i'm spending £30 on a model i don't expect to have to fill in bad mouldings.

I am going to look at what comes out in the future & hopefully GW will get it right but have to admit was disappointed after so much hype (& so was my son).

~DMC~

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by The~Devil~May~Care View Post
    I'm new to modelling GW (only started since March although my son started last year) but was mildly impressed with my Archon in Finecast (But not the extra £1.3o). Was easier than metal to put together & had very little flash, etc to remove. This was easily removed with a knife. All in all a nice model to go with my new Dark Eldar army.

But my son bought a couple of tyrannid models and these weren't to a quality i would call "finecast". They didn't quite fit. The comments on the GW webpage & WD about using superglue to fill in is next to impossible with the GW superglue. I am a novice with greenstuff so haven't tried and to be honest if i'm spending £30 on a model i don't expect to have to fill in bad mouldings.

I am going to look at what comes out in the future & hopefully GW will get it right but have to admit was disappointed after so much hype (& so was my son).

~DMC~
    I sympathise with your comments - but I must point out that all large scale kits (whether metal or plastic or resin) have always had areas that don't quite fit. It is quite impossible to prevent that.

You say you don't expect to have to fill in mouldings for £30 - well, I'm sorry but you might be in the wrong hobby then.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasticmrfox View Post
    I sympathise with your comments - but I must point out that all large scale kits (whether metal or plastic or resin) have always had areas that don't quite fit. It is quite impossible to prevent that.

You say you don't expect to have to fill in mouldings for £30 - well, I'm sorry but you might be in the wrong hobby then.
    I totally agree. GW rip us off. If you want anything cheap you are in the wrong hobby.

The Tyranid Hive Tyrant had massive gaps in between joins, and you just put up with it and filled it with green stuff. What is the difference between this and holes in resin?

I am not going to buy resin for a while, until GW kind of reduce the amount of holes in their models. Not until all this hype has died down.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Vrrmik View Post
    I totally agree. GW rip us off. If you want anything cheap you are in the wrong hobby.

The Tyranid Hive Tyrant had massive gaps in between joins, and you just put up with it and filled it with green stuff. What is the difference between this and holes in resin?

I am not going to buy resin for a while, until GW kind of reduce the amount of holes in their models. Not until all this hype has died down.
    I think we should differentiate between holes where they are multipart and holes where they shouldn't be of course!

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Yes I suppose we should. But surely it isn't too bad is it?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Vrrmik View Post
    Yes I suppose we should. But surely it isn't too bad is it?
    I only have ghazghkull so far and he's VERY good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast