Other camera for taking pictures of minis? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

1 (x1)

camera for taking pictures of minis?

Hi - can anyone recommend a (cheapish) camera that would be good for taking pictures of miniatures? Im using a 3MP one on a phone at the moment and its a bit hit and miss

2. Remove Advertisements

San Diego
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

I would suggest finding a decent Point and Shoot camera. Look for something that's in your price range and that has a macro setting. (Most P&S do have it these days) It pays to have a good P&S because you can use it for other uses as well. Personally, I have a DSLR for my miniature shooting, but I have it got it for travel/landscape photography. (it just so happens its also the best choice for miniatures with interchangeable lenses for the macro work.) You can find a decent guide to miniature photography here.
    FYI: Lose=To not win Loose=To not be tight There=A place Their=A person's They're=They are

Adelaide, Australia
    14 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

470 (x8)

Well, seeing as you've said cheap it kind of rules out a DSLR!

But as MC Bone Giant said, a decent compact digital camera with a macro mode should put you in good stead. Other things to look for that may be useful for your miniature photography would be, in no particular order;

Ability to manually set the white balance of the camera
    Ability to manually adjust aperture and/or shutter speeds
    Some form of tripod mount

They're not essential considerations, but they might come in handy if you can find a camera with those capabilities.

The guide linked above seems a pretty decent read - I'm not sure you need to go to quite the extent they've done, but the basic principles remain the same regardless. Light and stability will be important!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

+ Reply to Thread