WH40K Forge World models and Tournaments - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forge World models and Tournaments

Been pondering this one for a while but more so now some guys from my club seem interested in running a tournament that actually allows/encourages the use of Forge World models/rules (Imp Armour books etc...).

Would people want to play in such a tourney? Lots of people never seem to use their models/rules etc... outside big apocalypse games/campaign weekends and so on. Just wondering if there would be any interest in this - don't want the guys to waste their time setting it up if no-one would actually want to take part!

All comments welcome - even if they are about whether you can actually run this type of tournament.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how it would stop any regular tournament players from participating. I assume regular armies may still be used, but Forge World armies are allowed? I doubt anyone would back out simply because Forge World armies were being used. They're not overpowered by any means so i would go for it. If anything, i expect you would get an increase in numbers and more variety. I would certainly participate in a tournament such as this, i use the Siege Regiment Army List (DKoK) myself and would love to enter a tournament where they were accepted.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Yeah i would play too,but some units are indeed overpowered land raider achillies anyone?
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

To be honest I think there should be more tournaments like that anyway. I mean sure, I don't really use my FW models outside Apocalypse games (cause my FW models are "impractical" to use outside Apocalypse games, Revenant Titans and such like) but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use them if the rules have been written by pretty much the same people who write all the normal rules. Also like xDETHx Turtle said, there's no reason why people not using FW models wouldn't be able to attend anyway (making it compulsory to have FW models would just be ridiculous) so if anything you should see an increase in numbers.

~ Acarna

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Over the past two years I have entered the BOTCH tournament. This year it was 48 players held at Maelstrom games. They alow the Forgeworld items and Forgeworld lists. This year I only noticed one LR achillies and someone else took the traitor guard codex. Last year I used 2 blight drones in my daemon army.

As long as you advetise clearly what people are allowed to use there should be no problem. Also note that Forgeworld regularly redesign the rules for one item in several publications so you must be careful to get the most up to date. EG the space marine siege dread has had about 4 sets of rules over the years. FW have been getting better at FAQs and PDFs on their downloads page recently.

Obviously superheavies and gargantuan creatures should be banned unless you run a specific apocalypse tournament. There is one at Huddersfield in September that I am considering attending.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

194 (x7)

I too am considering the Huddersfield tourney. Apocalypse tournaments are very rare indeed in my area.

~ Acarna

jboweruk

The only downside I see to FW models is their power, I was in a tourney where one player did have FW stuff in his armies, and frankly he just slaughtered everyone else he came up against. This could get a bit disheartening for people who can't afford their prices and have to use normal models instead.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

194 (x7)

Most FW models are actually pretty overpriced for normal games. Obviously you don't want Titans being used in 2000pt battles, but the majority of the smaller stuff is absolutely fine.

~ Acarna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not heard about this one in Huddersfield. Anyone know where I can get the details?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

It was in the News & Rumor section of Dakka Dakka that I first spotted it. You may have to search back a few pages to find it as it was over a month ago.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

12. ThanksBikerboy thanked for this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast