WH40K Question about painting Piece by piece then putting together! :) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about painting Piece by piece then putting together! :)

Hello all,

I am starting a new army and this time around I really want to paint the miniatures piece by piece then put them together. I see a lot of pictures on here of people doing so, I was just wondering what is it that everyone is using to hold the little miniature pieces in place while your painting them? Thank you so much for your time I can't thank you enough.

-Jeff

Vampire Counts-4000 Points
    Empire-2250 Points
    Black Templars-2000 Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump
    Vampire Counts-4000 Points
    Empire-2250 Points
    Black Templars-2000 Points

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

I sort of do a hybrid of mostly assemble and then paint. I found when trying to paint every individual piece by itself and then assemble not only did it take 5 times longer to paint, but it was very hard to match up some painting textures when the pieces are not connected and you are not painting it all in one brush stroke - i.e. wash is a little thinner/thicker on this arm than the body, etc.

I just take careful notice while assembling of any piece that could cover another area and make it hard to paint that area properly. This really helps with cloaks, shields, in-between areas, etc. If you assemble every piece before you start to paint, you will find too many areas that are hard to reach - so the hybrid method works good for me.

Good luck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i paint them on their plastic sprues :p

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Im that guy who always intends to think carefully about the model and only glue the parts that won't obscure the rest, and then build the whole model without thinking and find it hard to put certain areas. When I have followed the 'hybrid' method MDSW wrote about i've used stuff like Blutack both to stick parts to paintpots etc, to paint easier, or put on the model to dry-fit it.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Well, I don't exactly paint them piece by piece, but I always paint them before I finalise the gluing. I'll maybe glue the body, head and legs of a Dire Avenger together and paint that and the gun separately so I don't have to get my brush into awkward places, and I paint vehicles in 7 or 8 different bits before totally gluing them. However you have to be careful to not paint over the joints because it makes them more difficult to stick if you're sticking paint to paint rather than plastic to plastic.

Bump
    How intensely and irritatingly unnecessary. This is not 4chan.

~ Acarna

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Yeah, Acarna's right- please don't "bump" your threads, especially after only two hours. There's a lot of ground to cover on the forums, we're a relatively small community, and the forum slows down in the summertime because people go on vacation. Long story short- don't do it, it's against the rules.

But anyways, enough flogging you for an honest mistake.
    Blutacking the model doesn't really make it too much easier to paint, other than the fact that you can just pop the bits off if you need to paint them. You also risk getting the oils from the blutac onto the model, which can mess up how well your glue holds. It also doesn't answer his question of how to hold onto little finicky bits.

For holding most pieces, you can pin-vise them and stick them onto a straightened paperclip. Paint the bit, then let it dry and pop it off the pin, and glue it to the model. Most of the time, the only parts on a model that will be difficult to paint are the torso behind the arms, the insides of the arms, and the insides of any cloaks or details you add on. So I'd say assemble and pin/paint the torso and legs, then paint the arms and head separately.
    Remember- if you use this method, you have to basecoat by hand, because you don't want to get paint onto the surfaces you'll be gluing.
    Finally, I don't really advise individual painting unless you're really good, and feel like putting in all the extra time that it takes. For the most part, an "inside out" paint scheme, where you start in the recesses of the model and work your way out, will let you touch up any mistakes you might make as go along and leave a pretty clean scheme.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Glue the pieces to tooth picks and then pin them to a cork.Once finished remove the parts and assemble.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread