Other Feel good project? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Feel good project?

Preface: I think this is the right place to ask this - if it devolves into modelling, painting, etc etc then feel free to move it mods.

Hey guys, going through a tough time right now and I had a good idea to take my mind of things - start a new little project! Unfortunately I'm struggling to come up with any inspiration on anything at all to get started on, so I thought i'd throw open the floor to LO's infinite wisdom and see what ideas people could come up with!

Basically I'm looking for a project that meets the parameters of:

Either 40k or fantasy
    Not a full army but preferably more than one model, maybe a group or something.
    Budget of anything up to £100 I guess, its not about the worth of it though - more about the funness/distraction.

Rep and eternal gratitude to the best suggestions!

'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Well, you could actually put together a small GK army for that price. I mean, it wouldn't be the most competitive thing in the world, but something like a DraigoWing at 1250-1500pts wouldn't be half bad on the table or your wallet, and with it being the basic 40k "hero hammer" list, you'd be able to take the mind-numbing time to make each guy look unique.

Trust me- I feel you. I'm sitting down to paint until my eyes get so heavy that I pass out in bed. I figure it's better than drinking eh?
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Well it wasn't so much that I wanted an army to do, I have 2k points of wood elves and a 2k deathwing army both to paint... just something new to take my mind off things the next few days.
    I just can't seem to come up with any ideas in my head, its just full of cheating women... might as well be reading some black library book about dark elves!

Its a shame the ogre kingdoms thundertusk isn't out yet as i'd really like to have a go at one of those.
    What is the bloodcrusher box like? I thought about having a unit of a lord and two heros on juggernaughts leading a massive pack of chaos hounds as ablative armour for my WoC army perhaps?
    Or, if you were to make an imperial fists 1st company veteran-like dreadnought... like really pushing the boat out, what would you build it like? For pure looks rather than wysiwyg with the best weapons for games.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Man, I feel like we should swap a pint and share horrid women stories. I mean seriously, I've got friends trying to tell me that my last ex was worst than theirs, and I just got the boot again tonight. At least yours gave you a reason to hate her. Mine pulled the whole "maybe someday down the road" - tentative scheduling is next January, but goddamn if I'm spending any winter nights alone.

But anyways, here's your pint: now to business,
    The blood crusher is pretty much three standard Juggerauts- they come in two halves (left and right) basically, with specific legs for each, and the only real "options" are the heads. They're pretty solid too, so they're horrible for trying to convert. Fortunately, I got Chaos Knights onto mine without needing any GS at all, although if you wanted to fill the tiniest of gaps before base coating, you could use a touch of putty.
    Typically JuggEx's aren't as good as a regular Exalted on a Horse, but in a unit of hounds they might not do too bad, just realize that the enemy is going to maul the hounds pretty quick and win combat. I currently run 2 JuggExes with ASF and 11 attacks between them, in a block of 8 Knights for a 6x2 formation. Works fine for me.

1st Co. ImpFist Dread? Hmm... I'd probably go with the Venerable kit because I want actual hands on it (can't be an Imperial Fist without a Fist can it) and then undersling an Autocannon on one arm. Then lots of good ol' reposing of the legs and such, and maybe give him actual feet instead of the crazy 3-4 pronged toes. If you wanted to go nuts, try to bitz order one of the pilots from a DreadKnight and stick him in the chest - make it look like something blew open the chest of the dread and exposed the marine strapped inside all angry and wired up while he kicks butt.
    I used some Warmachine bits on a Dread and built a tower shield out of a Rhino hatch for my IronClad back when I played 40k, so he's got hands with a shield and spear, and then I sculpted gold flame detailing around his shin guards, hung some dragon pelts over his shoulder, and used the usual dread claw-tip to make a sort of 'crown' on his head, filled it with more GS fire, had flames coming out of his stacks like censers, and then mounted a banner on his back. A lot of people mistake him for a Dread Librarian or Dread Chaplain. He looks pretty cool though, I must say.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

That dread sounds awesome!

I've decided to head off to the seaside for the weekend to get away, and there's no internet or phone signal there which is probably a good thing. I'll write a full reply to this thread when I return on sunday - until then captain, thankyou and may fortune favour you or some other such elvish thoughts haha.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Wish i had the courage to go into painting when i have rough times(the last year till today is full of them).

But what i did a couple of days ago is build up a deathwatch kill team.Its still half finished but who knows?
    So perhaps that might be a good idea for a project?
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Kill teams are fantastic fun as a little project. If you still have a copy of the 4th ed rulebook (unfortunately killteams got neutered with 5th ed) look at the Kill Team section, there's loads of little tips and rules there for a 10-man or so group of what are meant to be like kamikaze elites, the kind that you get in cheesy films that are put together from the seediest characters around and then given a briefing not expected to be seen again. There's loads of stuff about giving each one its own individual personality and look, and each having their own defined role. It's a great excuse to forget about stuff, I did my Eldar Pirate killteam when I was having a difficult time and it was a fantastic getaway point ^^ If you don't have a 4th ed rulebook, there's probably something on the Internet about it. Just a thought from my own experience

~ Acarna

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

The good thingie with a deathwatch kill team is that it can be used with a regular(codex) army as a sternguard veteran team as well.The rules are almost the same with the old ones .
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

True, but you don't have quite the same room for customisation when it's just a bunch of Space Marines.

~ Acarna

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

Anyone who misses Kill Team, should check out these rules a wrote a few years back.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1174514 (40K Gears of War / Skirmish)
    It's based on Gears of War, and Unreal Tournament type multiplayer games, and a lot of the people who've gotten behind it at my local say that it reminds them of 2nd edition 40k- back in it's hayday. There are some definite changes to the rules, it's not Killteam, but it's the same premise of building a small collection of very cool looking models, rather than an entire army. It takes about as long as a 40k game, and it's more balanced than kill team (where the KT player is usually doomed to failure).

We played a lot of variations of this game - from standard pitched battles, to Capture the Flag, Bomb-delivery type mission, to a really cool minigame that pits Vindicare Assassins against the members of the kill teams. For that one, you get one 150pt team per sniper. Each sniper then places 3 markers on the table, 1 bomb and 2 dummies. The mission of the team is to locate and neutralize the bomb, then kill the snipers. The sniper's mission is to see that the bomb goes off successfully on Turn 6 (this happens automatically) and then escapes off the board edge by turn 9. The only extra special rules for this variation:
    1: If the sniper wounds a model, every friendly model within 6" has to test for pinning- if the test is failed, the model runs Movement + D6 towards the nearest piece of cover and conforms to it, losing 1 action point from their next turn.

2: As snipers (or whatever you use as the defenders) have had time to work their way forward and conceal themselves amongst the terrain, enemy squads firing on a sniper in cover must first check if they can spot him. Roll exactly as you would for spotting an enemy during Night Fight. Ignore this rule if the sniper fires more than one shot during his turn.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast