WH40K Pitching an idea for a new codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Pitching an idea for a new codex

I want to pitch an idea for you guys a codex that gw could make im not saying the will or that it would be good business only that it would be cool

The codex is called imperial allies

The idea is a codex that consists entirely of units which in the fluff ally to armies outside there own or are found as small elements in larger armies in order to keep this balanced I have created a new system the allies points system

Each unit in this codex has a number of allies points each army can take only a limited number of allies points worth of units this is the number each can take

Codex Imperial guard 4

Codex Space marines 3

Codex Sisters of battle 5

Codex Grey knights 5

(I have not thought about space wolves dark angels and the like for the moment treat them the same as space marines )

So lets get onto some ideas I have for what units to fill it keeping in mind that this codex is not an entity in itself everything here you put in your codex I have notes though out stating what they are in brackets.

HQ

An Inquisitor 3 AP

(He can take an inquisitorial retinue for no ap)

Tech priest adapt 2 ap

(a senior tech priest sent from mars looking for stuff is that idea)

Elites

Inquisitorial storm troopers 1 AP

(IG storm troopers is the idea)

Vanilla marine tac squad 2 ap

Assassins 2 AP

(can take any of the many kinds wont list them all but you get the idea )

Skitarii squad 1 AP

(May have a standard tech priest lead the unit )

Imperial knight 2 AP

(basically similar combat powers to a dreadnought build by mars has a human pilot )

Troops

Combat servitors 2 AP

(like the unit in the ig army but with more options and you can also take a larger unit.)

Can only be taken in an army with a tech presit of some kind.

Adepts arbites 2 AP

(sorry on spelling)

(for those who don’t know there 40k swat I would have them as be guard with a few tricks maybe the ability to set up bits of cover on the map representing anti riot type stuff.

Fast attack

Not really sure what would go here maybe some sort of rough rider unit but with them riding cold ones like form the old ig book and this.

Valkeiry 2 AP

Works like in guard book

Heavy support

once again not sure but might have something like this

leman russ tank company 3 AP

space marine predator 3 AP

and some sort of mecinaicum artillery 2 AP

dedicated transports

rhinos for the grey knight and space marine units.

chimera for ig units.

modified mars chimera for mechincum units.

none of these use up allies points

so what do you think would you buy rhis codex. Would you like if gw made it. Do you think given thought and play testing it could greatly add to the fluff of armies with out being OP. I would love it as it will allow people to start doing those mecincum armies and inquisitor lead guard armies so many always want to do it would also allow me to add some space marines to my traitor guard army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think as an expansion book there would be too many duplicate entries that you could get from the Space Marine/ Imperial Guard/ Grey Knights codexes. Your allies points system could have been implemented for Planetsrike/ Battle Missions, but I think it unnecessarily complicates army selection. If you're thinking about pitching a Mechanicum army, go for it!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Can't see how it's any different from taking allies already? Isn't the concept just duplicating what peeps can do already? Or am I missing something?

I think the necessary rules on which chapters / sections of the inquisition etc. could ally would also prove unworkable too.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

That looks more like a "Codex Mechanicus" than a "Codex Allies".

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasticmrfox
    Can't see how it's any different from taking allies already?
    The Daemonhunters Codex is no longer official. Codex Witch Hunters still allows allies for the moment but that will close soon, too.

And good riddance, I say. The old allies rules, limited though they were, were shamelessly abused. Remember when the IG Codex was most recently updated, and suddenly players were stuffing (last-codex) Grey Knight Terminators into Vendettas for Turn 1 charges? GW had to put an entry in the FAQ to stop that. Such abuses are inevitable whenever you allow players to pick and combine the best of each Codex.

The best way to do allies will always be getting your opponent's permission.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

jboweruk

I thought the Valk/Vendetta said in it's entry it couldn't carry termies? Besides, you aren't allowed to use allied equipment, such as putting a squad of vets in a Waveserpent for example. And anyhow, you can now only take allies in an Apocalypse, apart from Kroot according to Army Builder for some strange reason.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    The codex is called imperial allies
    Not going to happen, GW has only just finished very deliberately removing all of the old imperial allied rules from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    it would also allow me to add some space marines to my traitor guard army
    Play a tyrant legion force (imperial armour 9) - it's marines and legion auxilia backed up by heavy artillery.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Codex Witch Hunters still allows allies for the moment but that will close soon, too.
    Codex Witch Hunters is no longer Canon. It was superseeded by the WD Codex Sisters.

Remember when the IG Codex was most recently updated, and suddenly players were stuffing (last-codex) Grey Knight Terminators into Vendettas for Turn 1 charges?
    Yeah LOL - that was fun....jk.

The best way to do allies will always be getting your opponent's permission.
    Correct - Allies (whether 40k or wfb) should always fit the scenario or back-fluff being played at the time (wherever possible, but definitely always in a campaign).

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I thought the Valk/Vendetta said in it's entry it couldn't carry termies? Besides, you aren't allowed to use allied equipment, such as putting a squad of vets in a Waveserpent for example.
    The IG Codex says it can't carry Ogryn. It didn't mention Terminators because IG don't normally have access to them. It was legal because the Vendetta is not a dedicated transport.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread