Probability Utility - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Disclaimer:
    I apologise if this is the incorrect forum to post this thread, but I could not think of one more fitting.

One of the steps I take when writing an army list, is to approximate its chances of dealing with various vehicles (this is more complex than vs non-vehicles, due to the glancing/pen hit tables). Last night I had the idea to write a java app to do it for me (the math is fairly simple, just involved), and I started planning today.

The purpose of this post is for feedback on the idea, whether is would infringe copyright in any way, whether it has already been done, and most importantly, whether you would use it.

Any questions/complaints/suggestions would also be welcome.

Currently, the plan is to input the data through a text file, calculate the chances of a vehicle destroyed result, then output the chance either into another text file which is automatically displayed on the screen.

___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its an interesting concept. I would by all means beta test it for you and give you my oppinion on its usefullness and qualities that could be changed etc!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing to keep in mind is that the chance of scoring a Vehicle Destroyed result isn't necessarily a perfect gauge of how good a weapon is.

For example against transports, immobilized is often just as good. Against certain tanks (Tau Hammerheads for example), weapon destroyed is often just as good. Against skimmers, immobilized is just as good... etc.

I would suggest having several options for selecting your target:

Tank
    Skimmer
    Transport
    AV of target, etc.
    Mechanized Tau Tactica - A forum for the discussion of tactics relavant to Mech Tau armies.

The Guide to Mech Tau - An in-depth study of the strategies for running a Mech Tau army.

Game Geeks - A weekly video game talk show that I co-host. If you like video games, give it a listen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Originally posted by T0nkaTruckDriver@Oct 20 2004, 13:27
    One thing to keep in mind is that the chance of scoring a Vehicle Destroyed result isn't necessarily a perfect gauge of how good a weapon is.

For example against transports, immobilized is often just as good. Against certain tanks (Tau Hammerheads for example), weapon destroyed is often just as good. Against skimmers, immobilized is just as good... etc.

I would suggest having several options for selecting your target:

Tank
    Skimmer
    Transport
    AV of target, etc.
    [snapback]233662[/snapback]
    AV of target is already included, I am going to try to inlude the probability distribution of the results, rather than the chance of destroying, but I'll do that as an addon once the main algorithms are debugged.

You're right , without this feature the output chance will actually undervalue the weapons slightly, because a vehicle destroyed is not the only way of neutralising a vehicle. Well, there's also luck (most of us would have memories of a Land Raider being taken out first turn by a Missile Launcher due to lucky AP and Glancing rolls [or something similar]).

EDIT: Should have an alpha tomorrow (21st).
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

+ Reply to Thread