WH40K Orks are amazing.....ly competitive! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orks are amazing.....ly competitive!

Ok, I've been away from the game for a while. I recently got back into it to knock off the rust prior to the release of 6th ed. I dusted off my old Orks and Deathwing.

I came to the conclusion that mechanized Deathwing are not competitive in 5th, so I use those in fluffy games.

My Orks however, have been tearing holes in every list I've faced. I'm not even good! I'm rusty! And have never been a tactical genius.

I run a hybrid, balanced list and have stomped Daemons, SM, SM Bikes, IG, Tyranids and Draigowing GK. They are undefeated, and half the W's my opponent was tabled.

From everything the mighty internet says, Orks shouldn't be this good. Am I just on a lucky streak? Am I about to reap the whirlwind? Because the power lists are supposedly Purifier Spam (I admit that's a rough match up for me), Wraithwing Necrons and Leafblower.

Can Orks be mentioned in that group? Or am I missing something?

"They have us surrounded? Good! Now we can fire in every direction; those bastards won't get away this time!"
    -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

Usually, 1-2 ork lists do make it into the final 16s of tournaments as they can be one of the more competitive armies in certain builds. I'm not an ork player, so I'm not sure the specifics of them but the 2 general gists of them tend to involve either battlewagon-spam with dethrollas (not sure what infantry is good to put inside) and/or loota-spam (max 3 squads of 15).

Deathwing can also be a competitive build though usually they fall just short of the final 16s as they're more of a rock/paper/scissor army where other armies are either able to deal with the TEQ-spam or not (also variable on how well you can keep up rolling 2+/3++ saves). That build is mostly just unmounted-DW squads I believe w/ at least 2-3 storm shields and a cyclone missile launcher in each squad, with the last few points filled by mm/tml land speeder typhoons (though I personally also like the small bike squad for it's 2-alphastriking meltaguns and the teleport homer for DWA).

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

I've experienced the same thing. I read about how GK, SW and guard supposedly rule the 40k field, but whenever I bring my speed freaks to GW, they hold their own more than easily.

I don't even use Battlewagons!

EDIT: Its Tau that I have the hardest time against, and they're regarded as under powered at this stage. I dunno really.
    Last edited by animated_shadow; April 27th, 2012 at 19:54. Reason: downfall.
    W/D/L Rumpin' BackThumpa's WAAAGH, 38/3/21

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

This could be a "going past infinity" scenario. A very strong trick comes along. People use it, win, and so use it even more. Other players adapt to defend themselves from it, see it more often and adapt again. A feedback loop gets going. Eventually, however, an ordinary guy with an ordinary list shows up. Because the guy doesn't even try to do "what wins", he's able to exploit glaring weaknesses his opponent might never have noticed.

Take mechanized lists as an example. Bring enough highly mobile, inexpensive vehicles and the enemy isn't able to kill them all. Great trick. So it becomes popular, and even players who don't do it will optimize their lists to kill vehicles (at the expense of other targets). Mech players then cram more light vehicles into their list. Repeat this loop a couple times. Then you, an average Ork player with an unremarkable list, arrive and wonder why every opponent is rushing at your mobs with tiny squads. Why their lists have 15 more kill points than yours.

There are other examples, too. Purifier spammers who can't stop a single Dreadnought. Bike lists with 12 meltaguns who can't reach the Leman Russes sitting behind infantry Guard. Mass-deepstrikers who encounter a large blast template for the first time in eight months.

I expect your local opponents will adapt their armies and you unbroken success will break. It's a normal process and keeps the hobby interesting.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread