WH40K Possible New Warhammer 40k Player Army Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible New Warhammer 40k Player Army Help

I am thinking about buying / playing war-hammer 40k, I've been looking at the space marine miniatures for a bit and have decided I will choose Space Marines, however I am unsure which chapter I should paint it, whether or not to choose one of the major ones like space wolves or grey knights or do something else. I would like to know your opinion, I will probably buy them in the very near future, what I would like to know is:
    A ) What is the best starter pack, I've seen online that you should just buy a tactical space marine squad and a captain to start off practicing painting but if you think one of the starter packs are great then please recommend it (no more than 80-90$).
    and
    B ) What chapter do you recommend (and state why, e.g their specific miniatures look good, they have a interesting back story, cool looking chapter colors etc).
    Also please mention a couple, like one main one you like and another that isn't commonly used.

Thanks

Last edited by Bliisk; May 7th, 2012 at 11:42.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

A ) Pick up some Assault on Black Reach marines from Ebay. Cheaper the better. That way you're not sinking too much cash to start, and you won't feel bad trying every goofy method you can think of as you learn to paint. You can paint them in a few colours to see what you like the look of, strip them down, and paint them again. If you end up losing one for any reason, you're not out much. And for basic tactical marines, they'll blend in with everything else as your army grows.

B ) I recommend making up your own chapter. That way you can pick up whichever ruleset you like and noone can fuss. Then, if you eventually get tired of playing that ruleset, you can just pick up another codex and start playing that one. Just pick a colour scheme that you like (or that you like painting), and go to town. Basically, it lets you have your cake and eat it too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Klajorne View Post
    A ) Pick up some Assault on Black Reach marines from Ebay. Cheaper the better. That way you're not sinking too much cash to start, and you won't feel bad trying every goofy method you can think of as you learn to paint. You can paint them in a few colours to see what you like the look of, strip them down, and paint them again. If you end up losing one for any reason, you're not out much. And for basic tactical marines, they'll blend in with everything else as your army grows.

B ) I recommend making up your own chapter. That way you can pick up whichever ruleset you like and noone can fuss. Then, if you eventually get tired of playing that ruleset, you can just pick up another codex and start playing that one. Just pick a colour scheme that you like (or that you like painting), and go to town. Basically, it lets you have your cake and eat it too.
    I second this. When my friend got me addicted to warhammer, I found it more financially feasible to get the Black Reach set as you get a pocket version of the rule book (you can look up the back-story online), and two armies to paint as you like; not to mention the templates, dice, and measuring whips. Amazon is a good place, if you're subscribed to their Prime membership, but definitely search ebay as well.
    What flesh that could be seen within the armour was pale white, and studded with piercings, needles and rings of all varieties.

+ Reply to Thread