Languages - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Languages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody ever asked this question, so I will be the first one (I guess). How many languages are there in the World of Warhammer 40k?

The Night Bringers
    "May the Darkness Preserve us!"
    Win: 1
    Loose: 1
    Draw: 1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

millions
    <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>PO-TA-TOES</span>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i know, in todays world, the weak are protected, so evolution is now non-existant for humans. To keep the race moving forwards, there should be tests to see if you are good enough to have kids- k-tana</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Originally posted by cool_hand_luke@Nov 14 2004, 19:59
    millions
    [snapback]250075[/snapback]
    Yea, I&#39;d go with that.

If not that, then thousends....but many would be the same, or at least VERY similar.

For Example, on my SM Chapters and IG Regiments world, I have 3. English (High Gothic etc), Kelt, and Norrdik.

However, I think you would find, that on most, if not all Imperial worlds, Gothic would be the main one.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

across the street. yeah, in that house. i'm watching you.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but what is gothic? is it english or latin? or is high gothic latin and/or olde english and low gothic english and/or american english?
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> Listening to nuns&#39; confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn</div>

There&#39;s nothing quite as fun as seeing a Chaos Lord overdose on combat drugs two inches away from an assault...

&quot;On to battle, and to glory&#33;&quot;
    --Master Shaper Kiirn Thenolok

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It&#39;s not english.
    It is a form of Latin.
    There are also HUGE variations between low gothic, gothic, and high gothic. Not to mention severe diffrenciations from region to region on each world, and then even moore form world to world. It&#39;s amazing that they can even communicate at all.
    I kill two dwarves in the morning, I kill two dwarves at night. I kill two dwarves in the afternoon, and then I feel allright. I kill two dwarves in time of peace, and two in time of war. I kill two dwarves before I kill two dwarves, and then I kill two more.

Goblin kroozade of revengyness: win:19 draw:10 loss:9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cool_hand_luke@Nov 14 2004, 18:59
    millions
    [snapback]250075[/snapback]

think how many worlds there are in the imperiam, each has its own language, then there are the ailens. there are thousands of races, just the larger ones covered by GW then the are diffrent dialecs within the races...

Yacoby
    If it ain't broke, break it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

And don&#39;t forget Lingua Technis, known as "Tech" for short, which is the language of Adeptus Mechanicus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A million worlds in the imperium alone, thats 3 languages, Gothic, H Gothic and L gothic, plus all the variations from world to world and then in countrys/continenets. Maybe 50 or 60 CWE, all the Chaos and that, DE, orks, tau,. Then there all the dialects of those. Then there all the races GW didnt cover but are in fluf, like dog soldiers or tarreliens, and zurgs and stuff.

Millions upon millions.
    A wise man once said: Blow me @$$wipe :lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets put it into perspective. I agree that there are millions and millions of languages so lets see how many millions...

there are over 6800 known (and spoken) languages on Earth at this very moment. some are in gain and some are in decline but we can be certain that most of them have their roots in thousands of years of evolving human culture and have largely withstood disasters, wars, plagues, invasions, migrations, politics and miseducation. Human beings have been around on this Earth as modern Homo Sapien sapiens for at least the last 60000 years, the last 15000 (at least) of which has been as the only surviving human species. To believe that we have been the only humans on this planet for the last 15000 years neccessitates the belief that just about all modern languages have their roots in that prehistoric time (I say most to avoid lumping in made up languages such as Ogham or Klingon which maintain a usage in particular circles).

Back to the case at hand - that even with Americanese being the dominant dialect in the world in all areas of trade or technology, we still have a world with 6800 surviving languages in everyday usuge. That that number should change significantly another 10000 years into the future is unlikely. Gothic, be it high, common or low gothic represents a trading language like the Americanese English today. So, if we can assume that our world of today would represent a fairly typical human world of the 40K millenium, with our mix of hive, factorium, agri, ecclesliarchy and fortress areas representing all the elements of the million worlds of the 40K Imperium in more or less the same ratio of landuses, then it should be a simple calculation of 6800 x 1000000 which equals 6800000000, or around about 6.8 billion languages spoken by humans alone in the 41st millenium.
    Maireann croÃ* éadrom i bhfad - A light heart lives longest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure about orks. They tend to speak something similar to English. I am only guessing here but perhaps they dont have their own language?
    The Night Bringers
    &quot;May the Darkness Preserve us&#33;&quot;
    Win: 1
    Loose: 1
    Draw: 1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast