Help Choosing A Second Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,

I'm currently playing Tyranids which I really enjoy, but I'm looking into slowly building a second army from scratch that has a lot of culture, cool fluff and nice models. The problem with Tyranids is that they have no individuals, but they have other cool points.

Anyways, I'm looking into playing a somewhat good race. Basically, nothing blatantly evil like Necrons or Dark Eldar.

I've narrowed it down to Eldar, Dark Angels or Space Wolves. Tau are also being considered, but I'm not sure how well they do in battle with there lack of cc skills.

Anway, can anyone add some input? I'm starting to think Eldar, but I dont know much about there battle stats. How are there armor saves in general? I imagine they have a low toughness? I love the models though and I think some of there vehicles look awesome. It looks like painting these guys requires a lot of attention towards detail.

Space wolves seem cool. From what I hear they are more inclined towards "good" then the other space marines. I like the barbarian concept, but I hate how they dont use jump jets. I guess I can get around that. The problem is that they are a heavy cc army and after Tyranids I'm not sure I want to play another cc army becasue I am looking for something a little different.

Then there are the Dark Angels. I like how they were robes over their armor. The color scheme isn't too bad, but I wish they were a lighter shade of green. These guys are a complete mystery to me. I know nothing about them at all. Do they specialize in shooting or cc? Are they a balanced marine army? All I know is that they look real cool and I would mind painting these guys at all.

The Tau look really cool as well. The vehicles and battlesuits look amazing. It would offer a great diversion from Tyranids, but I hear the Tau get slughtered in cc. Sure U guess I could use kroot, but I hear they that still get there asses whooped.

SO far I am leaning towards either Dark Angels or Eldar. What do you guys think? Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have many of these threads, and they usually are a waste of bandwith because you are the best person to make decisions for yourself. Look into the army sections of your armies of choice and decide there based on your style of play, which army looks coolest to you, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by eatmydarkapostle@Nov 16 2004, 18:53
    We have many of these threads, and they usually are a waste of bandwith because you are the best person to make decisions for yourself. Look into the army sections of your armies of choice and decide there based on your style of play, which army looks coolest to you, etc.
    [snapback]251440[/snapback]

You are one of those, eh?

Well sorry to dissapoint you, but you are obviouisly missing what the point of a forum is about. The funny thing is that you complain about people asking for opinions, yet you still choose to click on topics like these anyway. Interesting.

Anyway, I see no harm in posting a topic to ask for some recent info on some of the armies that are currently out there. I will ignore your attempt at a flame with the hopes that a more hopeful individual will come along and maybe point me in the right direction by offering me their experience with a particluar army.

And your waste of bandwidth argument holds no weight. When I access this site I never have any traffic or network performance problems, so I'm not sure what your point is.

And yes, I already did a search on some of these armies. In fact I have been to quite a few websites gathering info on the above armies, but apparently in all of you infinite wisdom you assumed that I hadn't done that. Nice.

Are people usually this unfriendly and arrogant in this forum? It drives me crazy what people will say when unprovoked. :realmad:

Bah! I'm done wasting my time on this guy. Hopefully someone else will have a more useful and friendly reply. If not, I'm off to another site and forum to find what I need.

Talk about wasting bandwidth, I can't believe I wasted "calories" writing a response to this. :huh:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not interested in flaming anyone, and apologies if you feel insulted. My recommendation would be to play Eldar, simply because they are very cool looking.

Eldar are a fast, but fragile army that relies on finesse rather than brute force.

Dark Angels are a Space Marine force, so you get a small elite pack of warriors that can shoot and fight.

Space Wolves are pretty much the same as the Dark Angels, but they rely slightly more on close combat(or so I hear).

Tau are definitely a high-tech race that depends on superior firepower, they are terrible at hand to hand. At a distance, the Tau army could demolish most armies, but once they get closed in on, they will fall quickly.

No bandwith problems? It's because the Admin pays to keep it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Tangle, I've seen you over in Tyranids a lot. I've just recently started my second army myself, nothing will ever replace my 'nids for me, but I wanted something totally different and am going with Thousand Sons this time around, beautiful models and a challenging fun paint scheme. I also considered Tau for a very long time because of the models like yourself. My first army was 'nids cause I love everything about them. My 2nd one is for me so I can have the army I think looks best painted and will be fun for me to paint. Think about it that way; for me, when I finish my Thousand Sons I'll play and field them cause I'm proud of what they look like and cause they are an army I like. Pick something you want to paint and want to play because of pure looks for your 2nd army. I think you'd like doing Tau. Good Luck.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Tyranids, for you are crunchy and taste good with everything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by trinkett42@Nov 16 2004, 23:29
    Hey Tangle, I've seen you over in Tyranids a lot. I've just recently started my second army myself, nothing will ever replace my 'nids for me, but I wanted something totally different and am going with Thousand Sons this time around, beautiful models and a challenging fun paint scheme. I also considered Tau for a very long time because of the models like yourself. My first army was 'nids cause I love everything about them. My 2nd one is for me so I can have the army I think looks best painted and will be fun for me to paint. Think about it that way; for me, when I finish my Thousand Sons I'll play and field them cause I'm proud of what they look like and cause they are an army I like. Pick something you want to paint and want to play because of pure looks for your 2nd army. I think you'd like doing Tau. Good Luck.
    [snapback]251644[/snapback]

Thousands Sons? They do look pretty cool. Donet get me wrong, I love the Nids, but I wouldn't mind a side project with an army that has more culture, like Tau or Eldar.

You bring up a very good point though. I should consider an army I would have fun painting, not just one that has a better chance at winning batttles.

I think I'm going to steer away from the Tau for now though. I'm leaning towards Eldar and possible Dark Angels. Actually, from what I understand, you can create your own chapters in the new SM codex. That might be a cool option as well.

Too many decisions...

I'm in no rush. I have my Nids for now, but I'd like to make a decision as early as next month.

Thanks for the advice trinkett42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by eatmydarkapostle@Nov 16 2004, 220
    I am not interested in flaming anyone, and apologies if you feel insulted. My recommendation would be to play Eldar, simply because they are very cool looking.

Eldar are a fast, but fragile army that relies on finesse rather than brute force.

Dark Angels are a Space Marine force, so you get a small elite pack of warriors that can shoot and fight.

Space Wolves are pretty much the same as the Dark Angels, but they rely slightly more on close combat(or so I here).

Tau are definitely a high-tech race that depends on superior firepower, they are terrible at hand to hand. At a distance, the Tau army could demolish most armies, but once they get closed in on, they will fall quickly.

No bandwith problems? It's because the Admin pays to keep it up.
    [snapback]251597[/snapback]
    No harm done. It's just that I see similar posts from othres and it doesn't help the person who posted looking for advice. A lot of times the posters are newbies or people who have already done their "home work". People assume that neither of the above are true and take it upon themselves to act like moderators which isn't cool.

Thanks for the response though, but I already know the general purpose of the armies I have listed. I'm looking for more info and hopefully some players experiences.

My only concern about Space Marines is that I'm afraid everyone else is going to be playing them because of the new codex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark angels deathwing is cool. the whole army is termnators and ladraiders.
    i recomend u look into them
    If it ain't broke, break it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Yacoby@Nov 17 2004, 10:10
    [snapback]251867[/snapback]

To be honest, that's where I think I am leaning. The Dark Angels figurines in thier robes look so cool.

They will be nice change from Tyranids since they will be a bit more shooty then the nids. Though the Eldar have some really cool looking tanks and vehicles.

Ack! I'm stuck between Dark Angels and Eldar!!

Can anyone tell me what special traits and disadvantages Dark Angels get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Yacoby@Nov 17 2004, 10:10
    [snapback]251867[/snapback]

Oh no! I am reading everywhere that the new MArine Codex really screwed over the Dark Angels big time.

Looks like I may want to take a closer look at the Eldar. Eldar here I come...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast