Picking Up... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Picking Up...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my first post on this forum, so hello everybody!

As the topic title may have told you, I gave up on my Warhammer hobby some six years ago when I hit sixteen and started spending too much money and time on beer. However, I recently dug out some old models to sell on eBay, and nostalgia swept over me. Put simply, I've decided to maybe start again with a new 40K army. The trouble is, six years is a hell of a long time to be away from something and there is so much on this forum that, quite frankly, confuses me.

For a start, I'd never even heard of Tau or Necrons before today, and back when I was playing Dark Eldar were not a collectable army. I feel I've missed out on so much, so before I start to put together a new army (my old ones are all craply painted and I'd rather just start afresh) I want the chance to catch up a bit. Can anyone reccomend a good place to read up on all the background fo hese new armies and that sort of thing? I'm basing my choice on that sort of thing because to me that was the important thing - getting an army I liked, not an army that could kick everyone's ass easily.

Also if there's anywhere I can check up on rule changes and stuff like that? The version I used to play was the one with the Space Marines and Orks in it - the one with the laughable card ruins and card Ork Dreadnaught.

Thanks for helping a newbie,

Miggsy007

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

You missed out on entire 3rd edition, dude. This means that you have to buy entire 4th edition rulebook and any codices you'll also have to buy anew.

Dark Eldar are a cruel, sadistic, twisted version of Eldar, no self-control, torturing to death anything they can catch (means most things in known galaxy) .

Tau are alien race with super-duper advanced technology. They have little in the way of warp presence, and live in a communist-like society dedicated to furthering the "Greater Good" (which effectively means Tau Empire). Godly firepower.

Necrons... Ever heard of Terminator? Mix that with Stargate and you got the Necrons. Rock hard, with little variety. Can stand back up after being killed by all but most powerful weapons. Their guns eat tanks and infantry alive. Just top it out with probably two most powerful (and nigh indestructible) Special Characters in the known galaxy.

Oh, and for some more info, maybe you should check at http://www.games-workshop.com ? :lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that buddy. Must admit I considered the GW site, but thought they wouldn't give anything away for free (not even information&#33 considering their money grabbing habits! I've had a look though and it's got loads of stuff. Feel a bit thick now I must admit!

I think I've decided on my army.... It's going to be the Blood Angels again. I love these guys - the purity combined with the curse make them very dramatic and romantic. Can't say I like the Tau or the Necrons much - that's probably because I'm hopelessy old fashioned and I don't like change much!

Thanks again bud,

Miggsy007

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Nuts I was hoping to convert someone to playing the Dark Eldar. The True Eldar. The Eldar who have not turned the back on their old ways after the fall and the Eldar that live the way the Craftworlders wish they could.

Dark Eldar are really great both in game terms and in fluff terms, although the fluff is very limited. Even if you don't want to play them I suggest you read a Torturers tale,as it is a great bit of literature.

And remember:

We are not your worst nightmare. We are your every nightmare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Well you did pick a good time to come back to the hobby. The new rulebook has just been released so that should do for the next six or seven years. Apart from that the new Space Marine codex has just been released too. So at least you won't be feeling ripped of by buying a book and then finding out two weeks later that you have to buy the newer one all over again.

Oh and welcome to LO, your one stop shop for everything games workshop related, including mad nutters who don't shower very often. Lucky this is the internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

Hooray for blood angels!

You might want to check out the new Space marine codex, it has loads of new rules.

Welcome to LO, couldn’t pick a better site to help you get back up on your war gaming feet.
    -GM
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

+ Reply to Thread