Jervis Johnson And Mark Gibbons M.i.a. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:ph34r:

I have been "out of the game" since the end of the second edition rules. I have decided to pick up 40k again, but a lot has changed since I last played. Granted, the rules are now simplified (albeit oversimplified), but a lot is missing from second edition, mainly soul. It seems that GW decided the best way to make money was to simplify the rules and then make it so you had to buy a lot of troops. It seems that the game has been boiled down to who has the power fists now. Pretty much a power fist will kill mostly anything in the game outright, and even if a model does have T5, it still will penetrate armour. The great character and stories and great design of the codexes (not to mention artwork) is mostly gone now. The only codex that I have seen that is really any good is the new Daemonhunters Codex.

Things I don't like about third edition rules.

Assault Cannon cannot penetrate Space Marine Armor.

Necron Monolith too powerful for 235 points (I shot one with 7 wraithcannons with no effect)

Dark Eldar are next to useless (Yeah, Yeah, they are fast, but give me Orks anyday)

NO SQUATS How can they have orks and not have dwarves!!!!

Warp Spiders totally useless now. Granted I HATED Warp Spiders, but they were cool. They should have just increased the points cost to like 36+ points and had them have the flamer template with S5 AP 5, instead of a S6 AP- What the heck is that all about? What are the Warp Spiders going to kill? A gretchin?!

The Tau are simply the Eldar, albeit not as good.

They Split up the orks into "Feral and Normal," now I can't run my beloved cyboars unless I run a stupid "Feral" Ork army (Although I can run a Three Mega Squiggoths )

They should have left the Carnifex (original 2nd edition model) alone and just made up another "Heavy" for the Tyranids.

No Rules for Electropriests yet!

No Displacer Field (that was one of the coolest things in 40k)

No Vortex Grenade (This is both good and bad)

No Psychic Phase, and Psykers are next to useless now. Granted the Psychic phase needed a MAJOR overhaul, but not eliminated.

Most Character Models are WAY too expensive to be cost effective anymore and you now have to ask permission to use them (double whammy.)

No Shokk Attack Gun

No grenades. (Plain Stupid)

Chaos Defiler: One of the coolest models, ruined by bad rules. They should have made it similar to the monlith, or given it a toughness value like the wraithlords. Yah, it's cheap, but it's also MEGA big and has mediocre armor. It should be able to fire it's BattleCannon on the move, as it is GIGANTIC. The indirect fire ability is stupid.

Necrons. First GW eliminates "double saves" and then reintroduces an entire race who has nothing but double saves. The standard necron trooper is the best model in the entire game. I have killed more vehicles with standard necron warriors than lascannons, wraithguard, rockit launches combined.

But here is my Question, What happenned to Jervis Johnson and Mark Gibbons?!

Mark Gibbons artwork was the greatest and Jervis Johnson just dissappeared.

Where are they at?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea where Gibbons is, and isn't Jervis now the head of Fanatic Games?
    I live in your eyes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to address some of your points:

With their revised rules the Dark Eldar are one of the most powerful armies in the game when led by a competent comander. They become less effective though the bigger the game you play.

The squats are gone because they didn't sell well. They also dont want 40k to become Warhammer in space.

Many Eldar players including myself swear by Warp Spiders. Their guns and speed make them perfect for taking out tanks in their weak rear armour. In addition they are useful for setting up crossfire situations. With an tooled up Exarch Warp Spiders are also highly effective at swinging a close assault, They can jump in where needed with plenty of attacks and when the enemy run they can pursue quickly.

The Tau are nothing like the 3rd edition Eldar. Current Eldar forces excell at close range destruction and swift movement. The Tau are close to the Imperial Guard. The Eldar are also a much more rounded and tacticaly flexiable force than the Tau.

Special Characters were stupidly powerful in 2nd edition. They are useful now but they can't work alone as they used to be able to.

No shokk attak gun; I agree, it's a tragedy.

Grenades are still there are are useful. They add tactical options rather than just chucking about blast templates as before.

And yes the necrons are a tad powerful and warriors are the most useful units in the game. But not invincible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the squats were copyrighted by a different company to GW. When the company stopped allowing GW to use their copyright, GW had no choice but to withdraw the squats from sale. HEnce why you never hear anything about squats anymore.
    I live in your eyes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i never heard that and i was working for GW during the change. what Co. had them? Play the game for a bit it takes some getting used too but this is a far better game. ive been polaying since rogue trader and every edition has gotten better and i for one am looking forward to 5th next year. And boy oh boy Dark Eldar in the hands of a good general and watch out! I agree with the whole Shokk Atakk gun though.... nothing like teleporting units of snotlings INTO somthing. hahah im really gald they got rid of "super charachters" though they seem to be making a come back... ala necrons and daemon princes. what made me sad were the no imperial guard beastmen!!! my beloved IG jump pack units

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MG has always been my fav GW artist ( for the past ten years infact )
    I agree with alot of your points about 3rd ed, that's what I was like when I first played it.

Assault cannon used to be a beast of a weapon ( up to 9 shots a turn )

I had two squads o' spiders when I played 2nd ed which never get used now

Pretty cut they changed the ork list I have a good unpainted core for an ork list that now has to be split into two armies.

never really used displacer fields ( in place of power fields hehehe 2+ invul save )

I miss vortex grenades, they added such a random element to the game, that death was around any corner, especially when both armies took two.

The old psyhic phase was great

characters used to be great but WAY over the top

I don't miss the shokk attak gun one bit, or my mates " rules " for using it

The ol' termie double save was pretty cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MG wanted too much money thats why hes not there any more.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey let me remind you all about something...
    In the early years of warhammer GW had a competitor...
    Warzone...
    It was to much competion for GW, so GW bought the firm and closed it down...

No that's dealing with the market...
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

warzone was around up untill a few years ago. if not more recent GW has been around for like 20 years or somthing. warzone was never any real competion. the rules and figs were never as good as the GW stuff. the only thing it had going and what it was riding on was it wass cheaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

waa waa waa stop bitchin if ya dont like it dont play
    <span style='color:red'>-=Read the sigrules=-</span>

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast