Librarium Online Forums banner

Top Ten Miniatures

Other 
7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MightisRight 
#1 ·
Inspired by the top ten lists on the Oldhammer blogs/Facebook group, I thought I'd try it here. I guess my list is pretty biased towards my favourite era of GW: the mid 90s. What are yours?

1. Glade Lord with Bow. Graceful and ready to pounce. Utterly feral and full of danger.

2. Morg 'N Thorg. Blood Bowl is my favourite game. I think of Morg (along with Griff Oberwald and Varag Ghoulchewer) as the poster boy for Blood Bowl, especially when I first got into it. You can just imagine him tearing into a bunch of hapless linemen.

3. Forest Goblin Boss. The 80s goblins were funny and cruel, the 00s Goblins are all nose and too warlike. The 90s Goblins, however, temper the sneakiness with a certain sort of anarchic mischief. And this was my favourite of the bunch. It would easily have been a Night Giblin Fanatic or a Spider Rider but the big grin wins it for me.

4. Baharroth, The Cry of the Wind. This model is about 20 years old and still looks great and contemporary today. This might well be Jes Goodwin's masterpiece. Apropos of nothing, Maugan Ra and Jain Zar are my second and third favourites, respectively.

5. Vindicare assassin with Exitus Rifle. You just know that seconds later some unsuspecting fool has just slumped dead, a single bullet wound in his forehead.

6. Bounty Hunter 3. He looks arrogant as hell, kitted up to the eye balls and ready to kill. The Necromunda miniature range was really strong - the gangs all had a very solid visual identity so I couldn't pick from the gangs, it would have been Delaque or Escher if I had. When I think Necromunda I think of this model or the squatting Ratskin scout with shotgun.

7. Dwarf Lord with Great Weapon. Such a wonderful single piece sculpt. It certainly harks back to the Marauder Dwarfs of the 80s but looks great among the current range too. It was between this, the Marauder pikemen and the previous sculpts of Longbeards. There is something so stoic and brave about this miniature.

9. Tuern Redvenom. Forget Hubris, Jordell, Prince Moranian... This is THE Blood Bowl elf. And he is going to kick your teeth in, score a touchdown AND take your team's cheerleaders home.

9. Squat Adeptus. Marries the nobility of the Squats (something that's mentioned often in the fluff but the minatures make them look like biker types) with the ancient tech-lore of the Techmarines.

10. Empire hero with Halberd. You just know this man's soldiers would follow him into hell. And they probably have.

Notable mentions: Morglum Necksnapper, Aekold Helbrass, the original Carnifex/Screamer Killer, the original Ikit Claw, the Dwarf Blood Bowl referee, and the Ork Bad Moon Boss 1.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the models you picked. I have to say that I love that dwarf model! To me it has always carried an air of emotion about it, like it was on the eve of battle and he was brooding on something. My personal top ten though would definitely have to include The Green Knight! I fall in love with that model a bit more everytime i see it.

#3 · (Edited)

Well, here's Ar Fienel, one of my very favorites of all time. Both sculpts of her are fantastic.

And Al Vienna. Studio McVey has one of the best ranges of resin minis (you really can see the difference in quality on them- the detail they get is astounding). Unfortunately, they're all limited edition, so a lot of their great sculpts aren't things we can get anymore. Ruby probably belongs on this list as well.

Infamy's Doctor Watson. Just look at all of that Steam Punk goodness. I get excited every time Infamy expands their range (they're kickstarting a skirmish game to go with these now).

I was considering my favorite Privateer Press mini. It came down to Major Haley, Calandra Truthsayer, Epic Skarre and Epic Caine. It wasn't easy to choose.

Sigvald is probably my favorite mini from Citadel (ever). He doesn't really fit in with the other warriors of chaos, but he is simply beautiful.

This Warrior with a bastard sword is just so characterful. His face, and the NMM on his armor is terrific to paint. Dark Sword's whole line has a lot of minis proportioned realistically (which is not something we often see in minis).

Grace is Gone because: Pregnant Cyborg. And it was limited edition, so I'm glad I got mine, as we'll never be seeing a mini like that again.

Ultraforge Treewoman. Her shape is fantastic. I love Ultraforge's large and beautiful minis (I have a giant I need to paint, my wife painted up our treewoman). From their line, I think she's the best.

Steampunk Alice in Wonderland by awesome steampunk sculptor Sebastian Archer.

And the Angry Bear. I tend to look to Soda Pop miniatures whenever I want a more relaxing project. Their whole line is cartoony minis that can come out looking really sweet. It was hard to choose who should represent the line, the top contestants were the Angry Bear, the Death Spectre, Harbonath the Void Reaper and Austrican.

#4 ·
Going from GW/Citadel only, and in no particular order. These aren't necessarily great models from an artistic standpoint either, just the 10 models that I've always liked:

Squig Hoppers - really, just any Squigs work well for me, because I think they're hilarious. Just a big ball of fungus and teeth and rage - and the goblin dumb enough to ride one. I love it.

Eldar Harlequin Shadowseer. It's just awesome. I love the faceless mask, I love the checked color scheme, I actually considered getting a tattoo similar to this guy for a very long time.

Vostroyans, all of them, but particularly the ones in gas masks, like the guy on the top left up there.

Empire Steam Tank - I remember when these were metal, and putting one into a sock was a good way to end any arguments which you may have. I'm a sucker for all things Steampunk (as evidenced by the Vosties) so it fits that a steam powered battle tank in a fantasy game is just too cool to pass up. I actually have an empire army mixing Vostroyans and the Steamtank, obviously.

Mordheim Highwayman - When this model came out, it was my favorite model ever, and halloween costume for about three years. Highwaymen are awesome. I also love the Privateer Press 'Gunmages' from Cyngar, but we're sticking to GW here.

Wood Elf Wildwood Rangers - again, when these came out, it was everything that I wanted to see in my Warriors of Chaos. Bare armed, hooded, and carrying axes that are as large as themselves? Win.

Wood Elf Wild Riders - not a fan of the stags, but again, the mixture of armor and bare skin, and the angular faces on those helmets is just awesome. Especially those helmets, they look so cold and unforgiving.

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard - huge, gothic, winged angels of death. You can't possibly go wrong there, except with the goofy proportions of the anatomy on their armor. But otherwise these are awesome looking models.

Grey Knights Terminator - oh yeah. Again, the gothic, heavy knight. It reminds me of the guy from Demon Souls. He's just massive, and I love those helmets and halberds.

Space Wolves Wolf Guard - SPACE VIKINGS, in huge power armor. That's just awesome mixed together in a blender. 'Awesomesauce', if you will.

#5 · (Edited)
For me personally I would say ...

The Green Knight. He's bad ass, and he's green which is my favorite color. He's probably my top model pick ever. (Links intentionally put in to save on the pic load)

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/230x238/99810203001_TheGreenKnightNEW01.jpg

And the wracks for the Dark Eldar. I tried to figure a way to convert these guys for my WoC army. It never happened.

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99810112007_WracksNEW_01.jpg

And then there's this guy, whom I still have and is always present in my WoC army if I bring ogres or trolls.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XaWoVKMIdIo/TOXj95lxJlI/AAAAAAAACy8/p2fnwig30GE/s1600/DSCF5049.JPG

T
his guy will always hold a special place in my heart because he's the first model I bought on its own.

http://www.games-workshop.com/resou...0x950/99810209006_OrcWarbossonWyvernNEW01.jpg

#6 · (Edited)
You guys have got some good picks there.

I know that the Green Knight was on Mike McVey's short list of favorites (if you don't know him, he used to lead the 'Eavy Metal team and is responsible for a lot of the innovations in miniature painting that we take for granted).

And I'm pretty sure that Dwarf Lord from the first post is a Felix Paniagua sculpt. He's started his own company now at Avatars of War (and they have tons of great sculpts).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.