Librarium Online Forums banner

The Showboater

739 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Lurch 
#1 ·
Do you ever have to deal with that one player that is really good, but he lets it go to his head and he brags about it all the time. Or maybe there's that guy that has the one army from hell, he's always beating everybody and he refuses to play the army any other way. Do you have any amusing or frustrating stories about them. No offense to those of you out there that do this.

#2 ·
One guy that's at the GW I normally go to is always bragging about his "unbeaten 1,000 point HE army". He is definitely the most 'un-fun' player I have ever played against. He's just plain rude (this from an orc :D ), a rules tyrant and when you disagree on his mediocre rules knowledge he just becomes loud and angry to boot. He does the silliest little reforms to his silver helms - which are in fact illegal moves the way that he does them - to get them into prime charge positions and then he comes at you full pelt. Needless to say, my goblins (at that time) were beaten by the strange smelling pointy eared freaks... although I would like to have another go with my 'Ardboyz!

The real kicker is that now everyone knows about him and he doesn't get anyone who wants to play against him! :p

#5 ·
Do you ever have to deal with that one player that is really good, but he lets it go to his head and he brags about it all the time. Or maybe there's that guy that has the one army from hell, he's always beating everybody and he refuses to play the army any other way. Do you have any amusing or frustrating stories about them. No offense to those of you out there that do this
You called?
But I refuse to change army 'cause i need to get used to it before the tourney. Yeah, that's why. :p

#6 ·
the only thing you ever have to do with someone like that is beat them...by any means possible. Obviously this isnt your style, and its not really the point of the game but if they care about nothing other than winning, let them taste defeat heh.

And if he says 'ohh you're just a powergamer' just tell him...yeah thats what all the people who lose say...he'll get over himself eventually

#7 ·
Im not a cocky player but i love to play khorne and its gung hoe for me. And orks are even better. And i wont lie i dont play power at all. Im what u call last minute gamer.....ill wait till i leave my house to go and game and just throw together what sounds good for the day. I have had my ups and downs with this new strategy. And its just fun to get there and be like what was i thinking.....and remember its fun to loose to sometime.....cause i mean u cant win everything.

#8 ·
Well those harles are pretty tough. Thier high Inisative are what gets my boyz everytime :realmad: btw yes i have faced these kinds of people and it was kinda fun playing them b/c they really push your army skills and tactics to the limit. Altough every little rule ends up as an argument and if you lose these battles it really hits hard. I've never faced anybody who has NEVER lost though. Even i was a BIG powergamer and lost a few matches.

#9 ·
I've never met any powergamers playing 40K, but a local powergamer pretty much drove me out of playing Mechwarrior: Age of Destruction. They argued over every rule, insisted that I measure every measurment every time, even if I was shooting at something I had shot last time and neither unit had moved. They also accused my dice of being loaded when I started kicking their butt, but the rules arbitrator decided they were fine.

But I hate playing powergamers, win or lose. It's just not fun.

#10 ·
I am not a fan of power gamers or rules lawyers as they are not fun to play against. My friend gets new armies and just come up with the most bent combinations he can find, this is fine in a competitive game as I do the same myself but for a fun game it removes the fun element. His ogre kingdoms is a prime example of powergaming, the cool bit is though once he loses he will go into weeks of analysis as to what went wrong :p

Another of my friends is the ultimate rules lawyer, without being that clued up about rules though. He will shout and get irate if he thinks you have done something wrong and when you point out it is fine he shouts louder. Then he will do something like measure a charge from the tips of the lances of his knights rather than from the base, most infuriating.

#11 ·
My one friend plays Bretonnians and always reminds us that he has never been beaten, which is true. At least he has the good sense to admit that Bretonnians take fewer tactics and know how to play and people playing against them need more. Luckily he's willing to give up his all calvary army and he's starting to buy some men at arms and mounted yeomen.

My other friend plays orcs, he never brags about his army, but he never stops bragging about two spells he uses, Gorks Foot and Gorks Warpath, he talks about them like they're his saviors from above, well I guess they do come above...from an irate orc.

#12 ·
An irate orc god thank you very much indeed :p They are great spells though, lots of strength 6 attacks and can hit anything on the board - loving it :p Especially with dittos double doin doodads, stompy death and then some more stompy death.

Your Brettonian friend must be a one off, a bret player that doesn't brag about their cavalry being all conquering? very strange indeed :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.