Starship Troopers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you who do not know, Mongoose Publishing's new Starship Troopers Miniatures game is going to release in a month or two. It's very obviously going to be in direct competition with 40k, appealing to the same market niche (a very large one) and stirring up alot of controversy.

Well, lets get the controversy started!

I for one am excited by the game. From people I have talked with who have had the chance to see the minis and playtest the rules, I have heard nothing but brilliant praise. The website itself is a little lacking at the moment... but they say it is still very much under construction.

Here is what I have heard about the game:

-There will be three initial factions released: Mobile Infantry, Arachnids, and Skinnies. All of which are from Heinlens original novel.

-The ruleset is apparently very flexible and very fluid, and runs smoothly at any point size. We'll have to wait and see exactly what is meant by this.

-Arachnids will have all the giant bugs that were featured in the movie, such as the Tanker and Plasma bugs, at pretty accurate scale! The Tanker bug model looked huge!

-The M.I. will get the infantry from the movie as models, but also the ones from the series/comic and the original Powerarmor soldiers from the book! (and we're not talking space marine power armor here; the power armor in the book was more like a dreadnought! they had jumpjets, bombs, twin flamethrowers, chainguns, and a rocket launcher that could fire peewee tactical nukes! they were one man armies&#33

-There will be planes and air combat rules

-There will be tunnel network rules for the arachnids

-Arachnid Warriors can get the "endless swarm" option which means that as they die, they respawn in your tunnels or at a table edge... so you can actually have a neverending swarm of cheap arachnid warriors flooding the elite M.I.

-Apparently the Mobile Infantry really live up to the "mobile" part of their name... sitting back and just shooting will lose you games real fast!

-All the models are extremely posable

-The game requires no model bases for it's rules (other them if a model needs it to stand)

-Models are cheaper then GW (at least a little cheaper): The starter box is 75$ US but includes the full-color 200 page rulebook, 16 M.I. Cap Troopers, 20 Bug Warriors, and tons of terrain and templates. The unit boxes are only 20$ US, though they have slightly less models then a GW unit box.

-You can get peewee nukes! wooohooooooo! 300 pts per warhead baby!

So yeah, I think it sounds awesome... will be buying it and... if it does decently and I enjoy it, I am considering selling my Tyranids for Arachnids. That way I'd play Space Marines in 40k and Arachnids in S.T. for some diversity.

So, what have other people heard about the game? What are other people's thoughts on it? Lets get some discussion going!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll stick with my 40k and Battlefleet Gothic. Not only does 3 games sound like a little too much, but nothing I have seen from Mongoose has impressed me.

That, and I couldn't stand Starship Troopers. Yes, I know the book is supposed to be far better than the movie, but the bugs are designed to look like the ones from the movie, ergo, whenever I look at them, I will just think about that stupid movie and all its horrible plot holes: I mean, all they wanted to do was kill the bugs, right? They didn't want to take over the planets that the bugs inhabited, so there was no need to even send in infantry at all --- just nuke the planet into oblivion.

I digress. Still not looking forward to the game though; I'm a 41st Millenium lover through and through, and I don't think this game will be able to hold a candle to my two current games of choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are Skinnies?

I don't think it will be a big rival to Games Workshop anytime soon. Warhammer and Warhammer 40K are classics, kind of like Dungeons and Dragons is to RPGs.
    But I like the idea of air combat though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

The book is excellent, much more of a military philosophy opus than an action scifi novel.

I agree with Houston but for different reasons. I think the whole feel of starship troopers is cliche and dated. I mean obviuosly when Heinlein wrote it (1956 I think) the whole idea was new, but I am just bored of the whole overequipped warriors that look like scifi US marines fighting bug monsters. It's so... 50s golden age scifi.

IMO Starship Troopers belongs with the little green men and Buck Rogers, which is after all the era it comes from. I much prefer the gothic feel of 40k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy chambers helped with the rules for the game right?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why yes, yes he did. He left GW and joined these people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personaly would like to play though i dont think ill be throwing hundreds of daoolars at like i did 40k, it sounds like it might be a decent game. Ill see when i play it.
    WE W/L/D 178955613235668/0/2 J/K

Return of the KEEPER OF THE SACRED CHEESE

3000 more points until the PROMISED LAND
    3000 more points until my soul is FREE

SKAVEN ON A BUDGET (click it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The game looks cool enough but I probably won't buy it. Nothing comes close to 40k.

Salty
    <a href='http://salty180.tripod.com' target='_blank'>Librarium Sanctificus</a>

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Please use the search function, there are a number of topics on this game. Don&#39;t start a new one.

KU

Deemed... unneeded.

=Locked=

Closed Thread