Populatirty/publicity Of Warhammer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does hardly anybody know about Warhammer? GW has no commercials or advertisements or anything. The only way to find out about it is walking near a hobby shop and saying, "Hey that looks cool!" or hearing it from a friend. Why do you guys think GW doesnt advertise for it? If they did, they would get more customers = cheaper prices = yay for us.

Please, call me Democracy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's true. With effects and stuff, they could make a commercial that would make anyone want to play. Look at the opening for Dawn of War. I didn't even play when I first saw that, and it brought a tear to my eye, lol.

Now you're telling me kids that see something like that wouldn't want to play? Yeah, they may find it easier to sit and play a video game, lets face it, it is easier, but they would definetly pull some people in.
    sakenpo@ptd.net
    Lower/Lesser rating always ships first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess because its worked for them in the past, they'll keep doing business as they are. And lowering their prices? Not in our lifetimes. This is GW we're talking about.

As a major company, I'm sure they've considered advertising campaigns before, and maybe they just assume it wouldn't be cost effective. They do studies on these things to find out roughly how many people advertising would have an effect on - in other words, they present people with ideas and ask if that would encourage them to buy their products. Of course, tabletop gaming attracts a certain kind of people (read: geeks - come on, we're all a little geeky at heart), and those sorts of people run in the same circles. We get the word out, and those whom the word does not reach tend to investigate these things on their own...they seek out Warhammer info.

That's how I got into it. I'd never spent one minute inside a tabletop gaming or GW store, and I didn't have one friend who played any of the games, but I stumbled on it online, and now am an avid consumer. The internet is far most cost effective than running commercials or magazine ads, which cost a TONNE of $$$. The internet and word of mouth seem to be all they need - why fix what isn't broken?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess but they wouldnt be fixing it. They would be improving. But, now that I think of it, it could be even more unpopular. It would make the people that play it unpopular because they would be geeks(yay to geeks). Just like Yu-Gi-Oh. Though I hate it, people used to play it alot but now are afraid of playing it because other people say its retarded(which it is). <_<
    Please, call me Democracy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think dawn of war and firewarrior would be pretty good advertisements themselves, the video game publisher will want to advertise the game so they sell more copies, on every ad people will see the WARHAMMER 40&#39;000.

Of course the video games industry is pretty big in itself, they are both decent games, get a website like ign or gamespot telling people its good, then people will think "hey wait what is this warhammer thing anyway?"

Some might wander into a GW store, many will be put off by the "geeks" or the strong smell of glue and paint. But some will think "cool crazy little model dudes, i just played as those guys in my game, wonder what they&#39;re like in this game" and so they get sucked in to a hobby even more expensive than their current one - that&#39;s if videogaming is their hobby, which it is for a lot of people -

--possibly meaningless post ends-
    <span style='color:green'>Think yer clever with yer land raider do yer? I&#39;LL GAUSS YER, YA STUPID SMURF&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arn&#39;t all post meaningless in the grander scheme of things
    *Pulls self away from theological discussion incase Slai hears*

As you said word of mouth is how Warhammer gets around. I had no idea it existed until a friend bought an Xmas catalog on the school bus oneday. Look at me now, 500+ posts on a Wargaming website.

Videogames give largescale publicity. Adverts on TV are paid for by the makers of the game not GW (I think). Free advertising&#33;

Also the GW shops are desgined to pull people into the Hobby. Rotating model stand, with well painted models. Game table ready to give people test games. Shelves with boxes art showing.
    Walk past and it draws your eye.
    Sure walk in and collapse from glue fumes but hey.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard that they DID make a commercial once, but they didn&#39;t put it on air because it was.. well, LAME. Bouncha kids throwing dice going WOOW or something.
    With the video games they are making the makers of the games (not GW) put out advertising for it, and as you said, people will go &#39;What is this warhammer game anyway?&#39; giving them free advertising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reaosns why they don&#39;t have TV adverts:

It costs loads

There is nothing exciting looking about watchin some kid pushing areound some models, throw some dice and painting. The fun is only evident when you actualy do it yourself. On the exterior, Warhammer looks boring as f*ck, only by playing it can you see its fun.

Most English 8-16 year olds have heard of Warhammer by seeing other players or GW stores. Most of the people who would enjoy it already have already heard of it.

The only way to have a non embarrasing and non cheesy warhammer advert would be with some cool CG clips, then your only advertising the world, not the game system. The DoW clip would make a good ad for DoW, but it&#39;s not an advert for the table top game.

Computer games are their best bet for spreading popularity.
    Signature?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree. At my school, on Mondays I can do "Warhammer Club" as a choice activity. However, only 4 people do it, and of those, I am probably the only one who takes it seriously. Most people say it&#39;s rubbish. To do it is one of the saddest things to do, along with Scouting.

And yes, I do them both.

But anyway, each to his own, eh?
    WDL
    Custodes Imperio 0/3/0

Hoping to win my first game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Ultramarines@Feb 27 2005, 157
    Most people say it&#39;s rubbish. To do it is one of the saddest things to do
    [snapback]339669[/snapback]
    Eurgh lets stay clear of the negative geeky image or this will turn sour.

In fact the news article on Warhammer said it best (ironic that the article was giving GW free advertising eh?). GW works by word of mouth which is why in America it hasn&#39;t taken off as much. People live further apart so big scale word of mouth don&#39;t work very well.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast