Proxies! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proxies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you used proxies before? been in a game where someone else used proxies? tell me about it! I once had a guy use a star wars tuskan raider mini count as 10 or 11 khorne berzerkers or somthing.

Allso check out my fan fic in the fiction and arts librarium in the concepts and ideas area! tell me what you think. its labeled my first fanfic

**Life is an undefined equation**

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former.

--- Albert Einstein

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to proxy more when I was learning the game. Now that I model more and play less I'm getting a bit rediculous about WYSIWYG. I don't take grenades unless I have them modelled and I am starting to build all my transports with a specific squad in mind, so that I will refuse to take the Wave Serpent I will build for a Wraithguard squad and use it for Howling Banshees, for example.

I don't really worry much about other people proxying in friendly games, as long as I know what they're using. I think its in poor taste to proxy at a tournament though, even one that's not GW-sanctioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

I would imagine that at some point almost everybody has used proxies, I know I certainly have.

Proxies allow you to 'Try before you buy'. Also, for those that don't have the capacity to go out and buy whatever they want, it's the only way to play while they only have limited models.

I have no problem with people using proxies, but I do prefer the proxy to bear some resemblance to the troop type it is supposed to represent. By this I mean I would have no problem with someone using a squad of Necron Warriors as Space Marines but I would have a bit of an issue if someone wanted to use a Land Raider as a Thunderhawk Gunship.

People have to make exceptions when playing against proxies, and in my opinion should always allow their use if the owning player is learning the game, is of limited financial resource or is 'play testing' a new army.

However, if this is (for example) a player who has a large Space Marine army and suddenly decides he wants to use them as Eldar, I wouldn't entertain the idea. Next week they'll probably be Orks!!

Wolfkin
    Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

The only time I've ever really proxied something is using rhinos as whirlwinds as the tank is pretty much the same sort of size and what have you so, I don't see a problem with it.
    I would let anybody do the same.

Though to say "I'm going to use this tin of coke at a dreadnought!" (Which I have seen someone attempt =o_O=)

Erm...no.

I mean I'll allow proxies as long as you have a suitable model to show for it. The same with WYSIWYG. If your special weapon marines all have flamers, but you want to use them as Plasmas for this game.
    Fair do's, you've stuck your models together, so its fine by me. HOWEVER. If those marines dont have any weapons, because said person leaves them off because he wants to use one type one week, and another the next...we, I kinda have a small issue with that.
    Its not a big issue, but if your not doing to finish your models, whats the point.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol this reminds me of that hilarious TSOALR comic with the proxies.

"Shoot at the Monolith!"
    "I can't, there's a coke bottle in the way!"
    "That IS the Monolith!"

:0)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure have! I played a cardboard cutout bretonnian army against my friend's real lizardmen. Turn 3 I think it was, my free cardboard cutout grail knights and KOTR took out his $100 unit of 8 saurus cav with oldblood, standard, AND scar vet.
    <span style='color:#FF00F0'>i believe the sun also rises
    dries our tears
    bringing the blue skies of day</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Proxies seem to be a fantasy thing for me, rather than 40k. I myself use 2 boar boyz for rock lobbers and 1 boar boy for doom divers, and use my black orcs to fill the ranks of my boyz. Better than bases, which were also very common. I&#39;ve also seen zombies used for ghouls, and LOTR models used for WE archers. Seen a lot actually, including goblins for clan rats and vice versa, a tree for a treeman (same size at least), a unit of dwarf warriors with only legs stuck to the bases (very lolable), orcs for dryads. One of the best proxy&#39;s was a homemade dwarf cannon, using foam and paddle pop stick it looked really good after it was painted, however look nothing like a cannon . In 40k the greatest proxy i have seen is a cd used for an ordinance blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only time i have ever used proxy is when i broke my ordiance (my girlfriend was round and it was on the sofa) and i had a game the next day

other than that i refuse to proxy or use proxy
    Yes people i know that my spelling and punctuation is awful but I am product of British teaching pollicies so what can I do about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think proxieing is OK, tolerable but not an excuse for laziness, I.E I was playing my WE against a black Legion (gray legion) and after we disscused points rolled for scenario and table sides and what not we started deployment... It was then i realized I had been tricked. He was fielding a crazy mix matched SM army some left over chaos bits, some bases and the top half of a defiler. I was confused but i kept playing. As usual my Berzerkers ran across the map, a few got shot by the havocs (with no arms). Only to meet the squad of Choosen Termies that looked like a squad of SM&#39;s with no arms. I quit, threatened to beat him with in an inch of his life... and this is kinda bad but pretty funny, stole one of his "chosen Termies" and keep it here on my desk at work. Havent seen the kid since.

Sorry to rant but proxy O.K guys without arms NOT O.K
    WE W/L/D 178955613235668/0/2 J/K

Return of the KEEPER OF THE SACRED CHEESE

3000 more points until the PROMISED LAND
    3000 more points until my soul is FREE

SKAVEN ON A BUDGET (click it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

I once proxied a Heavy Bolter with a Multi-Melta (speaking of plastic Land Speeders). That&#39;s all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast